“Long weekend bliss”

The Crown, Stoke By Nayland
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely country pub that has excellent accommodation in a seperate new building. The rooms are spacious and very well appointed, offering all you need from super powerful showers to tea making facilities and well stocked mini bar. The staff are all polite and very helpful with nothing too much trouble. The restaurant is relaxed and informal serving great food and there is an extensive patio area for warmer days and evenings. Our room was on the ground floor with lovely views, so we were able to take advantage of the warm evenings to sit out and enjoy the peace and quiet. We have left feeling relaxed and refreshed and looking forward to a return visit in the future.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Crown, Stoke By Nayland

Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

Not busy on a sunny evening though car park almost full!

Had good choice of table. Staff friendly but shaky serving skills and product knowledge could be better.

Food good but not brilliant. Presentation ok. Just a bit too expensive for what they deliver.

It tries to be very good but misses the mark.

That said it is pleasant enough. However so is the competition who offer better value.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

After hearing good things my wife and two young daughters visited here for Sunday Roast.

Fortunately we asked on the phone about high chairs - they don't have any. We had to bring our own. Not a good start on the family friendly front.

Service was ok. We were served drinks near the bar while we were waiting for our table to become available as we were early. We were not offered menus to look at - I had to ask - and I had to go and find somebody when our reservation time came around to get seated.

My vegetarian wife was disappointed to find out there were no veggie roast options. There were a few veggie options on the menu - they sounded pleasant enough but they all contained cheese which means hard luck if you don't like cheese, like my wife, or are vegan. But it was a Sunday and we'd come out for a roast dinner. Is it really too much to ask for restaurants to have a veggie roast option? Most manage. Keep some nut roast on standby or something or use your imagination and offer a meat alternative.

I had the warm artichoke salad to start which was accompanied by a very nice crispy poached egg and pesto but completely let down by the star of the show - the artichoke was either poorly prepared or poorly cooked (the former I suspect) and much of it was inedible. My wife had the spicy hummus which she says was nice.

For mains, I had the roast beef and my wife had the same with the beef and gravy removed with extra veg and roast potatoes. No gravy for her as they only had beef gravy. The roast was mostly very good - the beef was excellent. My only complaint was the strange horseradish cream which I kid you not, appeared to be squirty dessert cream with horseradish stirred through it. It promptly melted into a puddle on my plate.

My daughter's sausage and mash tasted nice but for £7.50, a dollop of mash potato and a single sausage with a small serving of gravy and no vegetables at all was stingy in the extreme.

Dessert was nice. My wife enjoyed her chocolate ganache. My "pavlova" was also nice but there was hardly enough cream for it to be considered pavlova. It was a large baked meringue with fruit and a tiny dollop of cream on top.

The final sting in the tail was finding the restaurant had charged us the full price for my wife's not roast beef dinner - that's £18.95 for a Yorkshire pudding, three roast potatoes and vegetables with no gravy - AND charged us another £3 for the extra potatoes and veg. I had them remove this from the bill but to be honest I still felt cheated. They could have brought the beef out on my plate if they were going to charge full price.

All in all, the meal was ok, but ultimately overpriced and disappointing. We will not be returning - there are plenty of pubs around here that do much better roasts for much cheaper prices that cater better for families and vegetarians. Avoid this one.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Luke R
Reviewed 22 June 2017

Imagine a small village 50 years ago but with modern amenities an idyllic location, quiet, and beautiful.
The Crown has it all, beautiful rooms, a nice restaurant and good beer and wines.
Staff were very accommodating and were there for your every need.
A walk round this village ancient village and exploring the church was lovely.

Room Tip: ask for a description of the various rooms on offer.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely evening here with friends tonight. Been here many times and never had a bad meal. The scenery is beautiful, staff friendly and efficient; food delicious.
I started with the chicken and veg broth which was served with soft, fresh bread and followed it with the chicken and frites. I was unable to manage a dessert but this restaurant does the option of a small sweet choice with a hot drink, to end your meal. Brilliant to have the option of a small sweet taster without needing to order a full dessert

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2017

Went to a Golden Wedding lunch in the restaurant at the hotel.

The table was unfortunately next to the room used by patrons with dogs and during our meal the dogs started barking so my Brother in Law made comments to the staff but nothing was done other than closing the door to the room.

After the meal myself & my wife booked into the hotel for bed & breakfast.

The room was on the ground floor number 103 which was very comfortably but I felt that it could possibly not be secure as there is a window which can be assessed easily from outside.

Other than this the room was very good & well equiped even with an iron & ironing board.

Breakfast in the restaurant in the morning was good but the fried eggs were overdone with 'frilly edges'.

I would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2017

Really good place. We had a wedding locally so stayed at The Crown. Really excellent and good sized rooms. Fantastic food and make sure you book the restaurant as it does get busy.It's a lovely village and a good base to tour Suffolk

Room Tip: good location to tour Suffolk. Also a charming place Stoke by Nayland
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
13.5 km away
The Mistley Thorn
The Mistley Thorn
#1 of 1 in Mistley

Been to The Crown, Stoke By Nayland? Share your experiences!