“Fantastic Stay Again”

The Crown, Stoke By Nayland
Reviewed 27 July 2017

We enjoyed our stay here so much the last two times we visited, that we seized on a family occasion as an excuse to return.

Everything lived up to our expectations. A very friendly and personal welcome, immaculate and well appointed room (with french windows onto a beautiful patio). The shower is huge and fantastic. Fresh milk is provided to go with your coffee and tea when you arrive and all are topped up when requested. In fact ours was brought to our room while we dined.

Our meal was excellent. We chose the mini starter - a perfect little serving of hot smoked salmon and creme fraiche with chives, followed by dressed crab with lemon mayonnaise for me and stuffed chicken breast for my companion. Both were served with a bowl of perfect french fries. We were too full for dessert.

Breakfast was equally good, and filling. We had two courses, starting with yoghurt, honey and banana scattered with seeds, and muesli, yoghurt and fruit compote (home made and luscious). We followed with bubble and squeak (with bacon bits - lovely) and fried eggs, and two poached eggs, sausage, black pudding, tomato (the best I've tasted in a long time) and mushroom. I skipped the bacon as it was such a huge plateful, but even then the remains of the sausage and black pudding defeated me, resulting in a surprise gift for our local fox. All this accompanied by toast and home made jam.

Neither of us was able to eat lunch on our return home! Just beginning to fancy something for supper.

Can't recommend The Crown highly enough. It's quite simply one of the best places we've stayed. The couple at the next table to us, who had stayed three nights, declared it to be "a hidden gem". And I mustn't forget the garden - it's beautiful.

Room Tip: Room 108 benefits from a private patio.
There are newer reviews for The Crown, Stoke By Nayland

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Menu looked really nice so decided to visit for a family meal! The first issue was the Sunday roast had sold out at lunch time.... we came specifically for the Roast! So I selected the closest thing the stuffed pork belly. This was awful no stuffing what so ever and mainly fat, we mentioned this to the waitress who was very polite and apologetic however upon her return the feedback from the chef was disappointing he didn't have an apology just a poor excuse! Dessert was fine and the waitress was very nice but I won't be returning to this pub again! May I suggest the Angel opposite instead!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2017

We stayed here for one night prior to playing golf nearby. Lovely comfortable room with all the facilities you need, clean, spacious, excellent bathroom with walk-in shower. Very friendly and helpful staff who attended to the smallest need. Ate in the restaurant in the evening - really good food from interesting menu and good service again.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Its only once a year, so we normally book a night away with a meal and push the boat out a bit.This was a lovely little hotel separate to the pub. We had a ground floor room with a beautiful view. It was very spacious, excellent shower, nice deep bath, tea/coffee facilities with homemade biscuits, a mini bar, wi-fi, hairdryer etc and massive lovely towels, not to forget the large comfortable bed. (and a brilliant fan, which was needed in the heat). The staff were very helpful, polite and friendly.
The pub has a large patio area, brilliant for those sunny evenings and serves great food, although slightly higher priced then we would eat out for, the standard was excellent. Having said that we had 2 starters , 2 mains of which the salmon melted in your mouth and the haddock was massive, 1 dessert because I was completely full, 1 coffee and 2 drinks, which came to £65 and the quality and service was fantastic.
You must book evening meals, as we only had a choice of 6.30 or 9pm a week before our stay, but in tasting the food we now know why.
We were not hurried along and then went for a nice walk to St Mary's church, just up the road.
Breakfast was very good with lots of choice and brought to your table, which filled me up for the rest of the day.
After checking out we went for a lovely walk to enjoy the countryside as there are lots of footpaths in the area to enjoy the views.

1  Thank CJC12345
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

This is a lovely country pub that has excellent accommodation in a seperate new building. The rooms are spacious and very well appointed, offering all you need from super powerful showers to tea making facilities and well stocked mini bar. The staff are all polite and very helpful with nothing too much trouble. The restaurant is relaxed and informal serving great food and there is an extensive patio area for warmer days and evenings. Our room was on the ground floor with lovely views, so we were able to take advantage of the warm evenings to sit out and enjoy the peace and quiet. We have left feeling relaxed and refreshed and looking forward to a return visit in the future.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

Not busy on a sunny evening though car park almost full!

Had good choice of table. Staff friendly but shaky serving skills and product knowledge could be better.

Food good but not brilliant. Presentation ok. Just a bit too expensive for what they deliver.

It tries to be very good but misses the mark.

That said it is pleasant enough. However so is the competition who offer better value.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

After hearing good things my wife and two young daughters visited here for Sunday Roast.

Fortunately we asked on the phone about high chairs - they don't have any. We had to bring our own. Not a good start on the family friendly front.

Service was ok. We were served drinks near the bar while we were waiting for our table to become available as we were early. We were not offered menus to look at - I had to ask - and I had to go and find somebody when our reservation time came around to get seated.

My vegetarian wife was disappointed to find out there were no veggie roast options. There were a few veggie options on the menu - they sounded pleasant enough but they all contained cheese which means hard luck if you don't like cheese, like my wife, or are vegan. But it was a Sunday and we'd come out for a roast dinner. Is it really too much to ask for restaurants to have a veggie roast option? Most manage. Keep some nut roast on standby or something or use your imagination and offer a meat alternative.

I had the warm artichoke salad to start which was accompanied by a very nice crispy poached egg and pesto but completely let down by the star of the show - the artichoke was either poorly prepared or poorly cooked (the former I suspect) and much of it was inedible. My wife had the spicy hummus which she says was nice.

For mains, I had the roast beef and my wife had the same with the beef and gravy removed with extra veg and roast potatoes. No gravy for her as they only had beef gravy. The roast was mostly very good - the beef was excellent. My only complaint was the strange horseradish cream which I kid you not, appeared to be squirty dessert cream with horseradish stirred through it. It promptly melted into a puddle on my plate.

My daughter's sausage and mash tasted nice but for £7.50, a dollop of mash potato and a single sausage with a small serving of gravy and no vegetables at all was stingy in the extreme.

Dessert was nice. My wife enjoyed her chocolate ganache. My "pavlova" was also nice but there was hardly enough cream for it to be considered pavlova. It was a large baked meringue with fruit and a tiny dollop of cream on top.

The final sting in the tail was finding the restaurant had charged us the full price for my wife's not roast beef dinner - that's £18.95 for a Yorkshire pudding, three roast potatoes and vegetables with no gravy - AND charged us another £3 for the extra potatoes and veg. I had them remove this from the bill but to be honest I still felt cheated. They could have brought the beef out on my plate if they were going to charge full price.

All in all, the meal was ok, but ultimately overpriced and disappointing. We will not be returning - there are plenty of pubs around here that do much better roasts for much cheaper prices that cater better for families and vegetarians. Avoid this one.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
13.5 km away
The Mistley Thorn
The Mistley Thorn
#1 of 1 in Mistley

Been to The Crown, Stoke By Nayland? Share your experiences!