Sport Fish Panama Island Lodge
Isla Palenque(Boca Chica)
  • Breakfast included
Cala Mia Island Resort(Isla Boca Brava)
US$139
  • Breakfast included
Roxy Fishing Club(Boca Chica)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$50
Priceline
US$111
US$108
US$139
Pacific Bay Resort(Punta Bejuco)
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
Aranjuez Hotel & Suites(David)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfishtunacaptain shaneisland lodgetop notchblack marlinfirst classnext yeargreat tripgreat foodsushihis teamsecond to noneworld classtop of the linethree dayswahoo
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 May 2017

After planning this trip for 4 years, we had some pretty high expectations. Captain Shane and all the folks involved in making our stay memorable exceeded our expectations by more than we could have ever imagined. From the moment we stepped off the plane in Panama City we were completely at ease and relaxed with the stellar VIP treatment we received. We didn't have to worry about ANYTHING. Shane's crew took care of it all. As a person who worries about everything going smoothly and stresses about the details, this made this an ACTUAL vacation for me. I could kick back and enjoy!

After a tour of the Panama Canal and a night in Panama City, we were on our way to David where Captain Shane personally greeted us as we walked out of the gate. A quick ride to the boat and we were on our way to the Isla Paridas for a week we will never forget.

The ability to customize the trip to suit our needs (and fishing stamina!) was extremely helpful. We fished for 2 days, rested one day in the middle and fished for 2 more days. Day 1 of fishing we accomplished one of our goals of getting a 100+ lb tuna. On Day ONE! Day 2 was even more epic with 5 Roosterfish, Cubera Snapper, Crocodile Needlefish and Almaco Jack. I had achieved my goal of finally seeing a Roosterfish in person and I had 4 of my goal of 5 new species within the first 2 days! I had never seen anything like this! Day 3 was our rest day and we were beach bums on the private beach where we tried a little surf fishing and enjoyed the peaceful sounds of the island and marveling at the different beach critters we saw. Day 4 was my husband's favorite with 1 Yellowfin Tuna for me and 3 for him, including a monster 203lb fish! This was beyond anything we expected! Day 5 we decided to play around inshore again and scored my 5th new species along with 5 or 6 of his friends....Crocodile Needlefish. These things dwarf any Needlefish we catch in Louisiana. My husband, who was born and raised in Louisiana said he had heard all his life that the Lousiana Coast was the premiere fishing area for Yellowfin Tuna....and this place blew that perception out of the water.

Even when we weren't fishing, the scenery around this area is absolutely breathtaking. Everywhere you look is something even more beautiful. Before, after and in between fishing, we were treated to incredible meals prepared by Chef Fidel who was kind enough to share one of his recipes with my husband. Fidel had his hands full during our week because I don't eat any seafood at all and he prepared a different meal for me almost every day. Each one better than the last. We would be absolutely stuffed but had to opt for dessert because they were just too good to pass up! Everything we ate was fantastic....even the sandwiches and fruit on the boat were great!

The lodge itself makes you want to never go home. In spite of the heat outside, inside was cool with the efficient AC units powered by generators and solar panels. The beds were comfortable and made up for you every day when you got back from fishing. All the photos of past trips and memorabilia in the lodge made you feel like you were staying at a friend's place rather than a fishing lodge. And thank goodness for the in room stocked fridge....sometimes I just want a diet coke in the middle of the night!

Everything about this place told you that Captain Shane, Juan, Fidel, Jailene, Steve and all the others who work there absolutely love what they do and love where they are. Everything was clearly well taken care of, clean and inviting. You immediately feel at ease.....like you belong there....like you have been there 100 times before.

If you have been on the fence about visiting Sport Fish Panama Island Lodge to fish with Captain Shane and Juan.....jump off. Do it. I can promise you that the second you set foot on that island you will be asking yourself why the hell you didn't do it sooner.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heather L
Reviewed 11 April 2017

Had a great experience with Shane and Sport Fish Panama Island Lodge. From the moment we stepped off the plane until the time we stepped back on, everything was taken care of. The lodge and the food cooked up by chef Lee were amazing. Fishing was 1st class and Shane put us on the fish and accommodated us each day with whatever method and target species we wanted. Great trip and highly recommend.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank nybite
Reviewed 5 April 2017

Shane and his team are fantastic. They work tirelessly to catch fish and make sure your trip is memorable. Food was spectacular, service through the airports and to the island was perfect, and the fishing was very good. Lots of tuna everywhere, and the tackle and rods/reels are all top of the line. Juan, the mate, is very focused and one of the best mates I have ever seen. Top Cat and Scandalous are comfortable boats and well-equipped.

First class all the way around. Panama is not known for its service, but Shane and his team are the exception.

Thank you Shane!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jonathan E
Reviewed 4 April 2017

Six guys went to do some serious fishing off the grid. Did not expect to find such incredible food, service and team. From the moment we arrived, we were treated like VIPs, with escorts in Panama City and David airports to assure that we got to the docks efficiently and comfortably.

The service got even better once we were on island. Lee is a truly talented chef, and he served us amazing meals (tuna tataki, sushi, ceviche, ribs, eggplant parm, lobster, etc) and off-the-hook desserts (including a birthday cake for me). When you meet Lee, you have to tell him its your birthday, and challenge him to make your favorite dessert - he will not disappoint you. Steve runs the on-island facilities, and he will take care of anything you need. Also a great guy to hang out with.

The highlight, of course, is the fishing. Capt. Shane and his crew could not have worked any harder to make sure we had a great trip and caught fish. He also kept us laughing when the lines were slack. The boats are in excellent condition.

The island is rustic (no roads, stores, etc), but the lodge was comfortable and had good wifi. Bonus for pet lovers, there are several friendly dogs at the lodge.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank hmeisenberg
Reviewed 2 April 2017 via mobile

Awesome and amazing trip. And i also learned new fishing techniques.
Fantastic staff on the boat and on the island. The best place to relax and get spoiled.
Lee's banana bread, will make everybody feel like in paradise.
Raoul