“Wow! This is a superb Hidden treasure. ”

Cubanos Cafe Bistro
Ranked #1 of 159 Restaurants in Leigh-on Sea
Description: Cubanos Licensed Café and Bistro is located in the beautiful area of Essex in the heart of Leigh on Sea. Open throughout the year, we make all of our own food, serving breakfast, lunches, tapas and evening meals as well as a wide selection of cakes and desserts. Our menu is prepared daily in house, and where possible, using seasonal ingredients provided by local suppliers. In addition to our regular menu, we specialise in Cuban options and are proud to be the only café in the local area providing these alternatives.
Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

Went to this bistro for the first time last night after reading the reviews and the only disappointment was that I didn’t have room to eat more! We had 3 tapas between us for starter and they were stunning. I could have easily just tried everything on the taps menu and will be going back to do just that. I had a beautiful steak and the ribs my husband had were juicy and so tasty. The front outside has been done up beautifully and will be amazing when the weather warms up. We will definitely be new regulars

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (172)

Reviewed December 5, 2019 via mobile

Once again visited my family in Leigh on sea and always take the opportunity to visit Cubanos.
Simply a superb eatery that has first class service and even better food.
Get out of the main part of Leigh and visit this hidden gem of a cafe.
You like us won’t be disappointed.

Reviewed November 20, 2019 via mobile

Had the pleasure of visiting my favourite local cafe for a great family breakfast. Everything freshly cooked and top quality, what more can you ask for! Going back again this Saturday!

2  Thank wendybJ660TI
348kellyn, Owner at Cubanos Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2019

Thank you Wendy for taking the time to leave a great review, looking forward to seeing you again Sat for brekkie .

Reviewed November 12, 2019 via mobile

Having read all the positive reviews I was really looking forward to a memorable meal with wonderful food and brilliant service. I so wanted to love this place as there are so few great places to eat in Leigh.
Cubanos is a cafe first and foremost. A 70’s suspended ceiling, Lino flooring and typical cafe/greasy spoon furniture. All of that is utterly irrelevant if the food is spectacular!
Sadly it wasn’t.
3 of us visited for Sunday lunch. The pleasant young man informed us that the choice was Sunday Roast.
Lamb, Pork or Chicken.
We all ordered Lamb. There was no option mentioned of how pink or well done it could be. So I asked what cut of Lamb it was. He didn’t know.
Not the end of the world.
He returned to tell us that one portion of the lamb was available so we could have 1 lamb, or Beef or Chicken. He hadn’t mentioned Beef previously. So two of us snapped up the beef offer plus the one Lamb.
Again there was no option of rare, medium or well done on the beef.
This was to prove irrelevant too as we were then approached by a young women who told us “no beef”. The choice was now pork or chicken. I asked if she was sure they had pork as we were told by the young man “beef or chicken”
She stated there was lots of pork.
We finally ordered 2 pork, 1 lamb.
At this point I should mention that we had absolutely no idea how much these meals were going to cost as we hadn’t been told and there was no menu.
Our plates arrived very quickly, within 5 minutes or ordering.
Clearly everything on the plate had been cooked hours earlier and held warm. The roast potatoes were hard and dark on the outside and luke warm at best. The Yorkshire pudding had been held hot for too long too. Dry and frankly unpleasant to eat. The pork was dry and smothered in the same “gravy” as the Lamb. BISTO. I tasted my wife’s lamb and there wasn’t much flavour difference between that and the pork.
Carrots and peas were ok, the cheesy leaks were unpleasant and the cheese sauce tasted of flour.
We were all hungry and we ate our meals. They reminded me of a school dinner.
The staff are pleasant and I wish them every success. I honestly believe they could produce a decent Sunday lunch. The cafe was reasonably full when we arrived at 2pm with the early sitting leaving and it seemed to me that they have a good number of regulars.
Maybe this kind of thing is what they like.
Our bill was around £37.
The meals were £10 each. Not expensive, but also just not good enough.

2  Thank deeforsDad
348kellyn, Owner at Cubanos Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to review our cafe/bistro. We are sorry that you were disappointed- our Sunday roast is very popular - it is home cooked using fresh vegetables and meat from our local butcher - obviously we part cook the meat and potatoes as it would be impossible to cook a roast from scratch for every individual- we don’t pretend to be anything we are not - our lovely customers have rated us highly s o we are one of the top cafes in Leigh - we have no control on this but we do appreciate it - In the meantime we will strive to continue to offer good quality dishes using the best ingredients at a competitive price.

Reviewed November 10, 2019 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend had a good time part from the meat and I got told the pudding where £3.50 but the board sald fiver

1  Thank Robert N