“Inflexible and complacent”

Price range: US$22 - US$51
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We have eaten here previously a few years ago and have thoroughly enjoyed both food and atmosphere (likewise at River Cottage HQ). We were therefore pleased to have the opportunity to go again on Easter ~Monday.
At lunchtime (1pm) the breakfast menu was still up outside, it looked nice but was not available! We were given 3 lunch menus instead - general, set menu and specials. I asked if I could have a starter from the set menu and a main from the general menu. I explained I was very happy to pay a full starter price for the 'set starter' but was told I could not have it 'at any price'- if I paid for the whole set menu (both courses) then I had to have the extra main course brought to the table! The waitress suggested I 'just don't have a starter' ! I suggested I had some olives and bread, unfortunately the waiter then said this was only available for 2 persons- so I had a double portion!
The place was far from full, the waiters were surly in the extreme- only with smiles and conversation for each other (lots of that). Drinks ordered as soon as we sat down arrived after starters.
Food was good - very- but ruined by attitude and service

1  Thank Megan987
RCHQ, General Manager at River Cottage Kitchen, Axminster, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2018

I'm very sorry to hear of your negative experience, I will certainly be investigating into each point you have raised. This does not sound like our usual level of service at all, rest assured action will be taken where necessary.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,489)

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

I really need to give this place a good shout! I have eaten at a vast number of very highly regarded restaurants. I tend to find that reputation and pretentiousness go hand in hand and that it can be hard to relax and simply enjoy a meal in a high end fine dining restaurant these days. This was a breath of fresh air. A sensible well thought out menu that welcomes families and in some parts of the restaurants, even dogs! This is fine dining but catered to every customer. The kids menu was the best I have ever seen and at the best value. We had the £11.99 lunch and it was awesome. There is an emphasis on wholesome locally produced environmentally responsibly and ethically sourced food. To deliver all this in a decent relaxed atmosphere with helpful unpretentious service is both insightful and practical. Hugh clearly understands his market very well. Don’t get me wrong, this is more like Bill’s than Petrus, but for those people wanting an to enjoy cleverly nuanced good value food without stiffness or need for occasion, I think it unbeatable.

1  Thank davidjohnlloyd1981

What a great review! I'll pass your comments onto our menu development team who will be very pleased to hear you loved the children's menu. I'm glad you found the lunch set menu to be great value - we hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

Great West Country food creatively put together but without a fuss. Lamb was excellent. Vegetarian side of things was also delicious. Good value wine tied it all together and the service was great.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

We visited on Easter Sunday for lunch and ate a fantastic meal - roast beef, pork and chicken with lovely vegetables.
There were 6 in our party - 4 joined us from London- they were excited to visit the kitchen having seen the River Cottage Series on TV. They all really enjoyed the meal and were well fed - ready for the long drive back to the city! We have eaten here several times- each one has not disappointed- we usually have fish- so roast meat was a change for us!

Thank you for your kind comments, I have passed on your review to the entire team. Come back soon!

Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

This was our first visit; we both had the roast beef. Beef was perfect; the selection of vegetables was more than enough for two. Definitely going to return.

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review, we are very proud of our roast beef!