US$52
US$58
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgreat restaurantrooftop terracegreat gardenlarge garden areaprivate roomsocial areanice hostaltop floortaganga beachmiradorfanshammockschillhostelcasagigglespeakers
Reviewed November 30, 2011

casa de felipe is the worst guesthouse ive stayed in in south america! they should call themselves backpacker factory, as you feel like a produce in an assembly line. i guess felipe is long back in france and everything is going to pieces. there is no atmosphere at all, (typical lonely planet our-pick crowd assembly-lining their way through breakfast tickets, internet coupons and enduring the third unjustified reminder of paying a key deposit which they have already payed). they have bad wifi signal and polyester linen, the toilet in our room did not work. the staff doesnt trust you or care in any way about your wellbeing or for you to have a pleasurable stay. they are extremely disorganized, incompetent and unhelpful.

so far so bad - what followed was just unbelievable:

i went for a 4 day trip to la guajira, my boyfriend had to stay behind to get some work done. the morning of my return i called casa de felipe to ask to speak to my boyfriend (to tell him i was coming back that day and to check out so we could take a double in a nicer hostel). i spoke to a girl in spanish first and when she failed to find my boyfriend she passed me on to a guy called cesar who spoke english. he failed to find my boyfriend as well and reassured me several times that there was no person of that name in the hostel. i assumed he had checked out - understandable given the horrible atmosphere at felipe. i came back to taganga where i spent an hour looking for my bf in other hostels, oddly he had not left me a message about changing hostel, so i was just randomly looking around with no clue. suspicious i went to casa felipe and inquired again. they still insisted he wasnt there and couldnt tell me when he had checkd out either or where he went. i urged them to have another look but they just refused on grounds of "he isnt here". by pure coincidence ust then an australian girl i knew passed by, i asked her and she said she had seen my bf the previous night IN THE HOSTEL and that she knew he was here. here i got angry. i insisted they have a PROPER look and - surprise - after 20 sec. he was suddenly found.there was no free room in the hostel so i said we would leave now and not pay for the night (it was around 3pm then) because they failed. the girl then said check out was over and we had to pay the night, that she hadnt taken any call in the morning and that i was obviously lying. get that: THEY MADE A MISTAKE AND THEN CALLED ME A LIAR!!! i asked here to call cesar with whom id spoken, and she refused. i asked to talk to the boss, she said he was not here. i asked her to call him and she refused. by that time my boyfriend had appeared and went back to his room to pack his stuff. the other girl just said "make the bill ready, WITH this night" and then they just IGNORED me and my plead to talk to the boss or the guy i had spoken to. they didnt even look at me and talked to other guests over my head. the other girl then went after my boyfriend to his room to tell him again he had to pay the night, (by then it was obvious to them that we would just leave without paying, because even though they actually pretended to not speak english (!!!) to make it harder for us, it later turned out they spoke it perfectly well) she then again called me a liar in front of my bf who at that point - and hes quite a calm guy - got quite angry as well and, god knows how, threatened her into finlly calling the guy i had talked to. i heard both following phone calls she made. the guy, cesar, admitted to have talked to me and not found my bf in the list. she then repeatedly tried to extract some sort of other turn of events out of him, like, "yes, but didnt you SAY his name and then she just didnt understand?" etc. - i couldnt believe my ears. anyway, the story was clear. next she did call her boss which by now miraculously worked and told him what happened whereas he said to not charge the night. she then asked me again (incredulous!) if i had called and stated my boyfriends correct name. i just stared at her in disbelief. then she said - in a way as if we had to be grateful (!) - "its ok. you can check out now". when we payed the other nights they were still extremely unfriendly and did not apologize in the sligtest or show any sign of regret!

i have no words for this entire thing. they are the most incompetent, rude and stupid bunch of hostel employees i have ever encountered. i can thoroughly advice anybody in their right mind to not set a foot in this terrible hostal!

Room Tip: go to another hostal! we went to pelican afterwards which was quite nice.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cat k
Reviewed November 28, 2011

For being in a small village in the middle of nowhere I was really taken back by how beautiful this place was. The rooms are nice, its clean, lots of places to relax, and a good kitchen. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed November 24, 2011

This most be one of the best hostels we stayed at so far! Great common areas, nice staff, good location. A great chill out roof top terrace with hammocks and sea view. The days the restaurant is open, don't go anywhere else!! The food is great! If you are heading to Cartagena afterwards, let the girls in the reception book the direct transfer, it is very little difference in price as doing it on your own but saves you 3 changes of bus on the way.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The service is good, the food is delicious for a low cost. You can find people from all over the world. The best hostel in Taganga!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Plus points:
Good value for money.
Great location.
Hammocks are a really great way to relax and snooze the days away.
Food in the bar is nice.
Staff are friendly.
English premiership football live in the TV room!

Minus points:
WiFi signal isn't that great and is constantly dipping in and out.
Shower was freezing and came out at a trickle.
Slats on the windows to the double room didn't close fully (we just slept under our mossie net).
Compulsory cockerel alarm clock!

Summary:
A nice cheap chilled hostel that is obviously popular for these reasons.
It's a short walk to Taganga centre where there are plenty of places to eat and party.

• Stayed: October 2011