“Best "stuff" in South America”
Review of La Casa de Felipe

La Casa de Felipe
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Casa Felipe is truly a unique hostel. It is one of those places that you can take a break from the chaos of back packing and relax for a few extra days.

The large garden area makes it possible to hide away from everyone if you want to just lounge in a hammock. Or, if you are traveling alone its easy to meet people.

Rooms were cleaned every day and facilities are kept clean and functioning. If there was ever a problem, staff would correct it as soon as it was addressed.
Staff were amazing. Friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about the area (great directions on how to get to Tayrona).

The French restaurant served delicious food that we couldn't get enough of.

They have created an amazing atmosphere where both foreign back packers and Colombian families on vacation can share a communal space in harmony.

Location is great as it is away from the noise from the down town bars. Apart from the occasional rooster or dog barking ( get used to it,,, its South America... they are everywhere!) its a quiet location.

I would recommend this hostel to anyone and everyone :)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Patti W

Reviewed 29 January 2012

After several recommendations by fellow travellers I emailed the hostel to arrange a few nights acommodation just before we travelled into the jungle for a few days. The day we returned we flew from Quito and when I checked my email they had left a message saying a deposit was required, fair enough, but I had to reply to get the paypal account for the deposit, and we where in the airport so I explained what was happening and bearing in mind I was about to fly so would have limited emailing ability so sent them a copy of my flight details from the operator, confirming we would be at the hostel within 8 hours.
As our flights progressed we got delayed on the final part of our journey, by our last airport there was no reply so I guessed all was fine but again I emailed them explaining what was happening.
In the end we were delayed by 4 hours and we arrived just after midnight, the reception was closed and the security guard had no record of our booking and was the most unhelpful human around!
For a French run establishment I was shocked and appalled at the level of service, having had many many trips to France we expected more.
In the end we found a place for the night, much to my relief.
The next day we went to speak to the management but there were 3 young women on the recption who didn't care less either, and dismissed our complaint, obviously contempt for the customer is the norm so I am glad we ended up elsewhere.

Room Tip: We didn't stay so cannot comment on Rooms, Sleep Quality or Cleanliness, the rest is from our ex...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Neil T T
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This hostel is AMAZING! So many places to lounge, relax, or friendly staff to book your adventure through or to advise you what to do. The rooms are really nice and not packed super tight, there is a restaurant and breakfast available to purchase and bar staff to buy fresh made juices from daily.

Downfall, you need to pay for internet and breakfast. BUT in normal season, prices are VERY reasonable for a 5 bed dorm and everything is very nice and clean, fans in the rooms and a great mirador to relax. There is a kitchen if you wish to make your own food and it's 5 min walk from Tanganga center, but there are restaurants and laundry right out the door!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Lucie K
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Located at the top of a dirt road on a hill…Nice hostel with very good private and communal facilities… Bar, shop, restaurant all on-site…Friendly multi-lingual staff …Lovely apartment with fully equipped kitchen…Construction site next door…Noise and air pollution practically all day long…Got sick from too much dust in the air…Got bitten by bugs day and night…No credit cards accepted so had to go to the ATM…No bank cards accepted with a chip so had to take out cash with my credit card instead…Could have been better…Could have been worse. Not really sure how to rate this place but here it is anyhow...

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Great food (seafood pasta was the best dinner we had during the whole trip) and very nice grounds.
Just be aware that there is no hot water in the hostel at all

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2011

It's a nice hostel with lots of foreigners who happen to party at night at the hostel so don't exepct to sleep early. Another issue is that this hostel should have mosquito nets as the rooms have a lot of airing which is good but the mosquitos can easily enter the room.
Customer service is rather poor and the rooms were not very clean. I always had some insects on my bag or bed. Not the kind of place which could get you the number 2 spot in any other place but it just shows that there are no nice places in Taganga.

On the positive side they have a nice French restaurant with a good cook.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Tolga_O
Reviewed 30 November 2011

casa de felipe is the worst guesthouse ive stayed in in south america! they should call themselves backpacker factory, as you feel like a produce in an assembly line. i guess felipe is long back in france and everything is going to pieces. there is no atmosphere at all, (typical lonely planet our-pick crowd assembly-lining their way through breakfast tickets, internet coupons and enduring the third unjustified reminder of paying a key deposit which they have already payed). they have bad wifi signal and polyester linen, the toilet in our room did not work. the staff doesnt trust you or care in any way about your wellbeing or for you to have a pleasurable stay. they are extremely disorganized, incompetent and unhelpful.

so far so bad - what followed was just unbelievable:

i went for a 4 day trip to la guajira, my boyfriend had to stay behind to get some work done. the morning of my return i called casa de felipe to ask to speak to my boyfriend (to tell him i was coming back that day and to check out so we could take a double in a nicer hostel). i spoke to a girl in spanish first and when she failed to find my boyfriend she passed me on to a guy called cesar who spoke english. he failed to find my boyfriend as well and reassured me several times that there was no person of that name in the hostel. i assumed he had checked out - understandable given the horrible atmosphere at felipe. i came back to taganga where i spent an hour looking for my bf in other hostels, oddly he had not left me a message about changing hostel, so i was just randomly looking around with no clue. suspicious i went to casa felipe and inquired again. they still insisted he wasnt there and couldnt tell me when he had checkd out either or where he went. i urged them to have another look but they just refused on grounds of "he isnt here". by pure coincidence ust then an australian girl i knew passed by, i asked her and she said she had seen my bf the previous night IN THE HOSTEL and that she knew he was here. here i got angry. i insisted they have a PROPER look and - surprise - after 20 sec. he was suddenly found.there was no free room in the hostel so i said we would leave now and not pay for the night (it was around 3pm then) because they failed. the girl then said check out was over and we had to pay the night, that she hadnt taken any call in the morning and that i was obviously lying. get that: THEY MADE A MISTAKE AND THEN CALLED ME A LIAR!!! i asked here to call cesar with whom id spoken, and she refused. i asked to talk to the boss, she said he was not here. i asked her to call him and she refused. by that time my boyfriend had appeared and went back to his room to pack his stuff. the other girl just said "make the bill ready, WITH this night" and then they just IGNORED me and my plead to talk to the boss or the guy i had spoken to. they didnt even look at me and talked to other guests over my head. the other girl then went after my boyfriend to his room to tell him again he had to pay the night, (by then it was obvious to them that we would just leave without paying, because even though they actually pretended to not speak english (!!!) to make it harder for us, it later turned out they spoke it perfectly well) she then again called me a liar in front of my bf who at that point - and hes quite a calm guy - got quite angry as well and, god knows how, threatened her into finlly calling the guy i had talked to. i heard both following phone calls she made. the guy, cesar, admitted to have talked to me and not found my bf in the list. she then repeatedly tried to extract some sort of other turn of events out of him, like, "yes, but didnt you SAY his name and then she just didnt understand?" etc. - i couldnt believe my ears. anyway, the story was clear. next she did call her boss which by now miraculously worked and told him what happened whereas he said to not charge the night. she then asked me again (incredulous!) if i had called and stated my boyfriends correct name. i just stared at her in disbelief. then she said - in a way as if we had to be grateful (!) - "its ok. you can check out now". when we payed the other nights they were still extremely unfriendly and did not apologize in the sligtest or show any sign of regret!

i have no words for this entire thing. they are the most incompetent, rude and stupid bunch of hostel employees i have ever encountered. i can thoroughly advice anybody in their right mind to not set a foot in this terrible hostal!

Room Tip: go to another hostal! we went to pelican afterwards which was quite nice.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple