“Ask and it will be done” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chalet Hotel Charlotte

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Serre-Chevalier
Chalet Hotel Charlotte
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Ask and it will be done”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

I have just returned from a trip to Charlotte as one of a party of 6. One of our party was an experienced skier, one had limited skiing and for 2 it was only their second ski. Two of us didn't ski - a very mixed bunch of retired folks. We all enjoyed ourselves - Charlotte is certainly quirky and showing her age a little, but the character is outstanding. The staff could not have been more helpful-nothing was too much trouble. The food was a constant delight with generous portions.Our only suggestion, which was followed, was to alert us to the availability of the day's porridge/eggs etc. A free adjacent local bus took us to the lift area and around the atmospheric and friendliest village, or a second bus down the valley for other ski areas, as far as Briancon in one direction and Grenoble in the other. Aches and pains?? Go to the not-so-cheap spa (recommend anyway) or the freebie in the river!! Excellent choice of restaurants for the staff day off, we went to one and can thoroughly recommend it, but can't remember its name, something beginning with Asp....., turn left from Charlotte and down some steps just past the excellent small supermarket. (If you have a choice of room, go for 7 - sit on the loo and admire the mountains-quelle vue - ce'st magnifique!!!)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank campervangran

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Ipswich UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Just spent a week at the Chalet Charlotte and I'd have to say the bad reviews are very harsh. I'd agree with everything written by "NeilC..." in that it is a great chalet, the staff are fantastic (friendly and informal - Andy the ski guide was great), the chalet is full of rustic charm and character. The bar/lounge area certainly wasn't gloomy - I personally thought it was a great area to chill of an evening and the seating wasn't uncomfortable as posted earlier - new cushions? I had a room on the top floor and it wasn't cold, I think the lower rooms were a little warmer but nothing out of the ordinary for a ski chalet - always too hot for me wherever I go. We didn't have any problem with traffic noise, although the church bells do start chiming at 7am - we used them as our alarm clock. Ski room has heated boot rack but we used the locker down by the lift as it saved walking up the hill or faffing with a bus with your stuff at the end of the day. I would go back and would recommend the place to others wanting to ski Serre Chev. A notable mention must also go to the Alpen bar just up from the chalet.

Room Tip: Those that had the middle floor had huge rooms. I think room one was the smallest.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Newse
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

I completely concur with the previous post, he summed it up perfectly, except to mention the peeling paint, shutters falling off, damaged blinds - where do I finish?

My favourite memory was one evening after the cheese course (pass the micrometer) one of the staff went from table to table, sitting down with a bottle of port asking if we would like a glass - glass of port on the house everybody thought, no, we were charged for it! The staff member forgot to mention that.

The awfulness of the place was only exceeded by the attitude of the UK management when I complained on our return, they could do no wrong, I was obviously an idiot.

Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Le Monetier-les-Bains, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Just about to rebook the Charlotte and have stayed many a time before. Ski Miquel always offer great value but then we do tend to travel in low season. The food and location, ski guiding and English-speaking ski lessons bring us back most winters. Rooms very simple but warm and comfy, all ensuite.

• Stayed January 2011
4 Thank FrancescaMC
Brampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

Having read the one star review, thought I'd put pen to paper, as it were, with my own review as the other is a little harsh to say the least.
Stayed here in Jan this year for one week, having had it recommended to me, great little chalet full of rustic charm and character.
I had a room at the front on the first floor, which was simple and clean, had two single beds, wardrobe, chair, sideboard, bedside table and lamp, not really much more that I could have needed or wanted, the room was nice and warm and if required I had no trouble opening the window a tad to let in a little fresh air.
Staff were very friendly and always happy to help, joined them for a couple of the guided ski runs but invariably did my own thing skiing but always managed to get back to the chalet for the afternoon skiers tea and cake!
The dining/lounge area has high vaulted ceiling's and real character with a small bar to your left just as you go through the door which then leads onto the main dining area for breakfast and evening meals, there is a seating area to your right which is is split in two sections, one part centred on the large open fire the other set just behind, there were plenty of books which had been left by previous guest should you wish to settle down and just read by the fire.
Food was great, couldn't fault the chef on his menu for the evening meals and wine was topped up as and when it was needed which always works for me.
Didn't use the ski room myself, but this seemed adequate from what I could see, I used the lockers and boot storage down by the main lifts, well worth the small charge, and made walking back after a good days skiing that little bit easier.
Would and have recommended the chalet to my friends and family and will be staying there again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Neil C
Never high enough
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2011

I have to say, I read the previous review and thought it rather unfair. I don't intend to go into all the details but...
I led a group of 20 that stayed in this place in March 2011. As the group was specifically off-piste oriented, all were experienced skiers who have stayed in many hotels, chalets, apartments etc. and most are not shy with their opinions.
One of our group did a little survey after the week to see how everyone felt about the main points of the trip.
In response to the question "Was the Charlotte OK for your accommodation?",
of the 20,
10 chose "It was fine bearing in mind what I was paying for it".
8 chose the response "It was all I wanted"
2 did not reply.
In response to the question "Was the food OK?"
4 said "No complaints"
14 said "It was great"
2 did not respond.

One point I will make specifically though. The public areas that the writer described as "Scruffy and gloomy" were, to my mind, quite a wonderful feature of the place. The ceiling had high vaulted, monastic arches, there was a real fire and a small, informal and friendly bar. It was cosy and atmospheric and as a result, many of our group spent lots of time there each side of dinner. Gloomy? Only if you brought your own gloom in with you maybe :-)

Quirky it is though. Each bedroom is different from every other with some quite unusual layouts and basically furnished but all were amply spacious, clean and comfortable. 4* luxury it ain't, the wifi was flakey, the ski room was cramped (but equipped with a boot heater) but it's certainly a decent 2* with a + for charm.

The best recommendation of all is: with over 9 months to go, 17 out of the 20 have already asked to come on the trip again next year and the only reason we might not use the same place is that they've told everybody what a good time they had and it looks like we'll have far too many to fit in there next year.

• Stayed March 2011
7 Thank G_Jee
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

We actually stayed here in 2010. It was the worst ski hotel we have ever experienced. Chalet is not a description it deserves, the place is a disused monastery on the D1091, a major valley road. The ground floor rooms are so close to the road that you can lean out and touch the roofs of lorries and buses as they pass. The rooms are heated by pipes in the floor, which cannot be controlled; the temperature in our room was around 29 degrees C so we lay awake and sweating on top of the bedclothes. We couldn't open the window because of the noise of the traffic. At the same time, fellow guests in the higher floors complained that there was no heating in their rooms and they froze. The cheap furniture was so dried up by the heat that it was falling apart. The toilet stank of urine and the wooden seat was filthy and cracked. Since the bathroom was freezing we tried sleeping with the door open but the smell or urine was worse than the noise from the road. We complained to the staff who made a token attempt to clean the toilet, which still stank afterwards.

When it snowed, snow-clearing operations began at 04.00 meaning that we lay awake listening to machinery revving and beeping back and forth then scraping piles of snow along the street right outside the window.

The public areas are scruffy and gloomy, the lounge/dining room is in the cellar and the only natural light comes from tiny arched windows high up in one wall, at street level. The kitchen was disorganised, the fridge stuffed with a mess of packages. Seating is on benches in alcoves with tired foam cushions that let your legs rest on the timber frame. The stairs are badly lit to the point of being dangerous. When we stayed there the front door could be opened from the street and anybody could enter and go upstairs.

We were relieved to get home to a clean house and a decent night's sleep. The French would not tolerate such a filthy, gloomy, miserable hotel but gullible Brits are putting up with it.

Once you have escaped from the awful hotel the village is charming, there's a great swimming pool and the skiing is fine for families. Free shuttle buses link the various ski areas up and down the valley with typical French efficiency. It's about a 10 minute walk to the lifts.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled with family