“A wonderful and unique experience”
Review of Soneva Kiri

Soneva Kiri
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Ko Kut
Manchester, United Kingdom
“A wonderful and unique experience”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

From start to finish the experience was just amazing.
From the second we arrived at Bangkok airport and where greeted by one of Soneva Kiri's charming staff we knew we where going to love our holiday.We boarded the Sonveva 8 seater airplane with the luxurious leather seats and off we flew to paradise.
We were greated at the landing strip of Soneva Kiri by our private butler and we were then whisked off to the resort on a stunning day boat.
Once we arrived at the resort we were greated by the manager and given a welcome drink of our choice; then take to our stunning huge cliff villa to unpack and chill out.
The beach is without doubt the best we have ever seen it Thailand and the food was of a standard that I have never experienced in a hotel before. While it is true this is an expensive option, the luxury accommodation and service of this resort have to be experienced to appreciate why something's are worth the price!.

Room Tip: Beach villas are amazing
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank JERYLEV
Andrew A, Managing Director at Soneva Kiri, responded to this review, 13 April 2016
Dear JERYLEV ,

I am sure this response will surprise you given that you wrote a review on your stay at Soneva Kiri so long ago.

I am sorry that no one was able to respond to your comments at the time but thank you for staying with us and we are still here!

As such please let me know if I can forward any information to you and hopefully welcome you back to Soneva Kiri soon.

Andy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
London
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Private propeller plane, private boat ride to the hotel, an enormous villa with pool, everything made of recyclable materials, a wonderful "man Friday", tree-top dining, amazing sunsets over the sea....wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.
Thank you 6 Senses.

Room Tip: Cliff-top villa
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyGio69
Dear HappyGio69,

East Molesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2012

This resort has everything it takes (and more) for the perfect family /friends experience. A huge range of facilities ~ beautiful pools, superb trips, tennis courts, private beach, your own electric buggy, amazing childrens playden, the most surreal 'chocolate shop' where you can help yourself to Willy Wonka type goodies (choc and lemongrass milk was my particular favourite),the futuristic dining pod experience, amazing spa, great gym, outdoor cinema surrounded by jungle......the list is endless. And yet the resort never seems busy, crowded or rushed. Chilled but active (if you choose to be) with the most discreet but efficient staff in the world.Five star luxury with five star memories. Absolutely Amazing!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank karen995
Dear Karen995 ,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I wrote a review on here about 5 months ago and I have to write another as I can't gush about this place enough! We went to Soneva Kiri a few weeks ago for our wedding - we had 40 guests and it was absolutely incredible. Words can't describe the beauty of the resort and the surrounds. The staff leading up to our wedding were extremely helpful and couldn't have made it a more pleasant experience. The resort itself is really special - you feel like you're in one of the most remote and private spots in the world - hence why we chose it for our wedding location. All our guests were also amazed at the overall experience. Soneva Kiri is extraordinary, you must go!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gemlovestravel
Dear gemlovestravel ,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Positives. Fantastic rooms,great beach and cinema,great service and lovely staff. Lots of innovative ideas such as the chocolate and ice cream room.

Negatives. The plane provided on the way to the resort was not the hotel plane but a chartered one as there were too many arrivals on that day. It was horrendous- dirty old and so hot I nearly fainted. Very complicated place ie 48 light switches in the room and very spread out( half an hour walk from villa to beach) ok they do provide a buggy,but only one so if you and
your partner want to go to separate places one has to walk! Tree pod experience boring and
very expensive ( £300 for two for lunch) .

If you are used to staying in Aman hotels then Soneva Kiri lacks the ATD you will be used to. ie no ice anywhere,beach a bit of a mess with visible bins,no cushions on the chairs, no room service before 730 so if you want a coffee before then it's a kettle and uht milk from the mini
bar,shaving foam provided in the gym but no razors. I could go on and on. However if you are going with children there is more to do here than an Aman hotel. Conclusion for families this is a better bet than Aman but for couples Aman is better. I think the organisation is growing too fast and has forgotten about the little things otherwise Soneva Kiri would be able to justify it's enormous price tag

Room Tip: Get one close to the beach or main hotel area
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank roberts303
Dear roberts303 ,

Maldives
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Great Resort and excellent place to be.
I knew it was an once in a life time trip to one of the remotest area of Thailand known as Koh Kood.
From start till the end it was perfect.
Food was superb,rooms gorgeous,atmosphere was awesome.
Just loved everything of it.
Must for Honeymooners.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paulastyaghosh
Dear paulastyaghosh ,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 December 2011

My wife and I just returned from Soneva Kiri a few days ago and we had the most amazing time there. Not much I can add from other reviews that have been submitted. The food is superb on every level. The beach is incredible and the service at the beach is second to none. Every employee on the island is genuinely obsessed with ensuring you have a great time. You really don't need to lift a finger for anything. The service is 5 star at every turn.

The layout of the resort makes it feel as though you are the only one there. The resort was around 70% capacity while we were there. However, I would have bet money that it was empty. One of the employees said it best - "That is the secret of the resort". You just seldom see many people.

Rooms are very spacious (understatement of the day) and come with all of the comforts of home. We stayed in a beach villa and loved everything about the room. The Bose sound system with indoor / outdoor speakers was a nice touch. Those with iPods and iPads, they will work in the room with the Bose system. And there is WiFi all over the resort and in the rooms. We had an excellent signal at the bar, beach, and in the room.

Restaurants are top notch. If you stay at the island and do not visit Kuhn Benz's restaurant, you are really missing out. She is a very talented chef and will prepare quite the feast for you. Quality, authentic Thai food served with a big smile. Make sure you go one night - it's a 5 minute boat ride from the resort and it is tied to the resort so it can be billed right to your room. All of the other restaurants and chefs at the resort are phenomenal. We also booked a private barbecue at the beach on our last night. Our Miss Friday set it up for us and we would highly recommend it to anyone. It was very romantic and the staff helped to make it a lasting memory for us.

My wife and I have had the opportunity to stay at some fabulous resorts over the years and I would put Soneva Kiri at the top of that list. We seldom revisit resorts as there is so much of the world to see. However, we will build this island into our vacation plans again for sure. Management is very involved around the island and I like that. They greet you when you arrive and they are there when you leave. It is a nice and special touch that we have never seen anywhere else in the world.

The No Shoes policy is one that should be adopted by other resorts around the world. It makes you relax and appreciate the environment you are in. The only complaint that I had during our 4 night stay is that I had to put my shoes back on when we left. A BIG thanks to management and the staff for making us feel like we were the best customers to ever grace the island. My wife and I are not celebrities but the resort sure made us feel that way - even if for just a few days. : ) We loved it there. If you are on the fence about whether to stay at Soneva Kiri, book it today and never look back. It will be the experience of a lifetime. We can't wait to get back there....

Room Tip: Not a bad room on the island. Book any room category with confidence!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple