“Paradise personified!”
other travellers have booked this property
Relax and unwind on the large, cool patio
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Relax and unwind on the large, cool patio
Large room with air conditioning
large cupboard with a safe for your valuables
The view from the queen size bed
Bright bathroom with walk in shower
large bathroom with lots of driftwood surprises!
Fully equipped kitchen with gas hob and mini oven
Looking towards the beach
Lie on your own sunbed in the tranquil garden
View from the verandah
Laborie Beach
Spectacular sunsets
Another sunset
The beach in front of the house
Laborie Beach, just a few steps from the cottage
Mama Tilly. Strong rum punch and great food!
Looking towards Laborie village
Looking out to sea early in the morning
Laborie village...a hidden gem!
The famous Pitons!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

David_and...
Llanymynech, United Kingdom
“Paradise personified!”
Reviewed May 9, 2016 for a stay in March 2016

Well, we've finally had to accept that we have returned home, and it's not a bad dream!

We stayed in Driftwood for most of our month in Laborie (had a few days in Bay Treehouse, which we're reviewing separately), and truly could not have wished to have been anywhere else.

All the good points mentioned by other people are echoed by us, and we would add that during our four weeks here we only left Laborie on two days ~ our view was simply "why would anybody wish to stay anywhere else?"

Tony and Jan were the most amazing hosts, and were extremely kind and helpful over our need to cancel last year's holiday the week before we were due to fly out. We had some fabulous times with them, having so much in common (motorcycles being just one interest).

Absolutely nothing was too much trouble (hopefully) ~ a suggestion that a shelf in the bathroom would be useful resulted in a unit being made by Tony that afternoon, and in situ the following day! The driftwood fittings in the bathroom and around the cottage itself were lovely (we fell in love with the loo-roll holder!), and everything was of a first-class standard.

We just loved chilling out on the verandah when we weren't in the sun on the beach, and were adopted by a delightful couple of children from next door.

Wandering into the village for supplies was easy, and we always walked back along the beach. Without exception, everybody said hello with a smile, and we had some impromptu chats with some of the lads (and our first taste of Bounty rum), and a lesson in how to prepare coconuts from some of the elders. We watched the local inter-schools sports day, and an inter-village cricket match on the recreation ground: the locals freely chatting with us on both occasions.

We could go on and on, but will just say that you will not regret your decision to stay here, and are happy to answer any questions you may have.

How easy was it to book the property? Overall condition of the property
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Too difficult to pick one thing!
Liked least: A noisy dog in a neighbouring property.
Older travelers
315rogerg
Chilliwack, Canada
“AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2016 for a stay in January 2016

This property is absolutely amazing as are the hosts! My wife and I just returned from a 4 1/2 week vacation in the Caribbean traveling to St. Lucia, Martinique and Guadeloupe. Of all the places we stayed in this was by far and away our favorite. The cottage is immaculate and wonderfully finished. It is totally self-contained. The beach is a 10 second walk away and the hosts can't do enough for you. Tony picked this up on arrival and also drove is up to the north of the island for an interisland flight which leaves from another airport. Laborie is a wonderful little community... people are amazingly friendly. The beach in front of the property is clean, safe and the swimming is also really safe. If you plan to go there make sure that Tony hooks you up with Lincoln who can take you on excursions and also come to the unit and cook you dinner. He cooked us an amazing lobster dinner with two whole lobsters he had caught that morning plus all of the trimmings for $50 total including cooking and cleaning up after. It was probably the best meal we had on our whole for half week trip including supposedly hold cuisine on some of the French islands.. Also don't miss a meal AND the spiced rum at Mama Tilly's'!!

Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Steholl
“Charming Cottage!”
Reviewed February 12, 2016 for a stay in February 2016

Driftwood by the Beach is absolutely the most charming little cottage we have ever stayed in! The vibrant colors, standout cleanliness, and the detailed accommodations were simply amazing. The hammock chair on the wrap around porch was a dream come true for relaxation :-) Tony & Jan, the hosts for Driftwood, Bay Treehouse & Mango Splash were incredible. They know the locals around that are able to hook you up with a great fun day! We couldn't have asked for a better stay in St. Lucia. It was so enjoyable and relaxing living amongst the locals in Laborie. If you are brave enough to drive while on the island, Tony & Jan have a rental car you can use. We weren't brave enough. We just couldn't get used to driving on the left side of the road.
Oh, and if you enjoy hunting for sea glass...Laborie Beach, just out the door from Driftwood is the place to hunt it!! The best sea glass hunting out of 4 Caribbean islands that we visited this trip! Thanks again Tony & Jan!! You are on our return trip list :-)

Heather T
Chicago, Illinois
“Wonderful Experience!”
Reviewed December 12, 2015 for a stay in December 2015

My husband and I stayed with Tony and Jan for 5 days - 3 in Mango Splash, 2 in Driftwood; The Driftwood cottage is exactly what I had hoped it would be. The location is absolutely perfect - right next to the beach (literally in their back yard) and close enough to the main tourist attractions on the southern half. The sounds of the goats, chickens, roosters and tree frogs took a couple days to get used to, but once you do, it is a true Lucia lifestyle experience. I personally loved all the animals and dogs roaming around - all the dogs are extremely friendly and don't really bother you so please don't let that deter you! The cottage itself is just darling - my husband and my's favorite part was the front porch, and the porch swing! Sitting out there in the morning and evenings was SO relaxing with the breeze and the waves as our soundtrack. Tony and Jan really go above and beyond to ensure their guests have all that they need and are comfortable. They even allowed us to rent their car for the entirety of our trip for cheaper than any rental company, which was a huge bonus! If you want to experience the real, unspoiled St. Lucia, STAY HERE!! :)

P.S: If they send you over the Mama Tilly's, request the Lobster! BEST fresh Lobster I have ever eaten hands down!

Nico P
Houston, Texas
“Honeymoon on a budget”
Reviewed November 9, 2015 for a stay in November 2015

My wife and I wanted accommodations close to the beach so we could roll out of bed and catch some rays without a trek. We were also looking for a small town that didn't break the bank so we could afford to snorkel at Sugar Beach, hike up the Gros Piton, zip line through the rain forest, soak in mineral water, bask ourselves in mud and enjoy private dinners prepared by local fisherman like Lincoln.
We never imagined in a million years of the classy 5 star treatment we would receive from our host,Tony and Jan. The couple are a wealth of information that made our stay so much more enjoyable. They are also very resourceful to boot. The pair go above and beyond to make sure you have everything you need during your stay in Laborie. From the time Tony picked us up at the airport till he dropped us off they were attentive and just a shout away if we needed them.
I recommend using their knowledge and resources to make your trip an unforgettable experience. Money can't buy what they offer!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: We liked the hospitality of Tony and Jan.
Liked least: It rained on and off for a couple of days which damped our plans.
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers
KathyS104
Camano Island, Washington
“Wonderful cottage near the beach”
Reviewed November 2, 2015 for a stay in October 2015

One of our criteria in booking this place was that it be close to the beach. We were truly just steps away from a beautiful beach, with warm water and a sandy bottom, great for wading or swimming.
The cottage itself is a work of art. Owners Tony and Jan have created a little jewel of a place. Fun features made from actual driftwood were charming touches, and the decor was colorful and fun. A nice little kitchen, great shower in the bathroom, and very comfortable bed made for a pleasant stay. We had everything we needed to do our own cooking, if we wanted to. The covered porch was a great place to sit and watch the local world go by. We were just a few blocks from the center of Laborie, and after our week there, really felt we had experienced all that the village had to offer. Tony and Jan live on the property and had great recommendations for meals in town. They were wonderful hosts, and truly wanted to be sure we were enjoying our stay. A local fisherman delivered a lobster dinner to our door one night, which was delicious, and a unique experience. I can't say enough about this cozy cottage. It was a great place to stay. I agree with the comments made by other reviewers. We loved the owners' dogs, and enjoyed the chickens roaming around. The efficient air-conditioning made for good sleeping at night, and with the windows closed we weren't bothered by the early morning crowing of the roosters.
The local people were friendly, and happy to chat with us. We were lucky to be in town for the rare White Sea Urchin harvest, and observed the whole process right down on the beach near our place. The Jounen Kweyol festival happened in town while we were there too, and it was a fun event.
We'd love to go back, and we wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else but at Tony and Jan's Driftwood by the Sea.

Judith B
East Lansing, Michigan
“Near the Village by the Sea”
Reviewed October 6, 2015 for a stay in September 2015
people found this review helpful

This carefully crafted beach house is the work of owners Tony & Jan, who live just across the drive in their own beautiful home which also houses Mango Splash (where I also stayed). From back to front, the cottage is a rectangle with the spacious bathroom across the entire width of the back, moving forward is the sleeping area with the large poster bed a bit precariously situated on a raised platform (the bed is grand but a little oversized for the space, just watch your step), next is a comfortable seating and dressing area with a curtain, a regular work of art which cozies up the space when pulled shut and when pushed aside leads though the French doors to the patio/porch. The premier feature for me was this wrap around covered porch with dining table and hammock chair swing. As you are likely well aware, this is a tropical climate, temperatures rarely leaving the 80"s, perfect weather for outdoor dining day or night. An unusual feature was the fact that the small kitchen was attached to the outside of the building at the end of the porch and was accessible only by going outside (remember however it is always warm!). There is a small pass-thru window which works fine if you are traveling in pairs. I however was not. It all worked out fine however, and I liked the idea that all cooking aromas were left outside. The beach house is well appointed with plenty of towels, hot water, kitchen ware, soft seating and air conditioning.

The Driftwood and Mango Splash are located right on the sandy beach of the Caribbean's warm beautiful waters. It is a public area with people walking by regularly to and from Rudy Johns Beach and/or to and from work. A few people and kids swim in the same area but it was never crowded. The location is also near the football field (which is soccer to those of us who have misnamed football!) and right beside a grove of coconut palms. This grove frequently fills up with locals either fishing, watching a game or just hanging out...which also includes music. I never noticed it lasting much beyond sunset. The 6 am & 6 pm sunrise and sunset is one of the determining factors in the daily lives of St. Lucians. They are up before dawn and retire early.

The center of the village was a short walk, which I made daily, through the grove, across the football field and down a narrow paved street (which was also well lit in the evenings and I felt entirely safe walking alone). Laborie is not an upscale or touristy destination. It is a fishing village. There are several restaurants with delicious fish, salads and ice cold Piton beer; a couple of small groceries and a bakery; places to purchase food stuffs, alcohol and top off your cell phone; a Saturday Market in the Square and bus service to all points beyond. It is a very comfortable and low key place for a lovely vacation. Tony and Jan were excellent hosts, introducing me to several of their friends, inviting me, in fact taking me, to Soufriere to Zappa's and a chance Sunday Brunch at Fond Doux Plantation.

The only thing which caught me off guard here were the number of dogs. I stayed in the village atop Marigot Bay last March and the dogs there were totally disinterested in passers-by. Here they are generally friendly and clamoring for attention, due to the extreme love and care given by Tony and Jan to their own dogs plus any others which live nearby. Since I am not a 'dog person', I was not thrilled with them running up to me wanted to be petted. I don't like to touch animals that I don't know, it's a fact. I asked Tony to mention the dogs in his description of his places and he has added a little more info. He also asked me if I had known about the dogs would I have opted not to stay there. It worries me that I might have...and would have missed a most perfect place to stay, the warm sea only steps away and the porch a very lovely and private place to eat, and write and drink wine and enjoy myself with them and several other local friends. So my advice is...do not be wary of the dogs, just know they are there, and book this place ...if in fact you can get a reservation. It looks to me like I'll have to book a year in advance!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: proximity to the sea
Liked least: friendliness of dogs
Travelling group: Solo
Friends getaway
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing