“excellent for relaxation, we loved it”

Weinromantikhotel Richtershof
luxembourg
“excellent for relaxation, we loved it”
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We (a couple beginning 50's) arrived there yesterday afternoon. Enjoyed the afternoon tea in the romantic garden, had relaxation massages and a nice dinner in the restaurant der Baldachin. Superbe decoration.
enjoyable with the look at the vineyards.
Recommended for couples.
Very clean rooms.

We'll return to this place.

Room Tip: apparently we got the last room, so not much to discuss
Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Brilliant value, great service and a genuinely great hotel. Although not 5 stars it really does offer many 5 star touches. The spa is great, as is the garden, the cigar bar and the wine cellar. Loved it.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Bergen County, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We spent three nights here in May, 2011. It was a vacation-break from my wife's multiple weeks of work in nearby Belgium, so I wanted some luxury for her. By American standards, the 265 Euro price (including breakfasts, taxes, and service charges) for a Junior Suite #108, at this splendid hotel was a bargain. Before you reject my extravagance, evaluate the difference between a conventional room and the fat-cat room we took.

They call it a resort, partly because they have a beautiful spa (which we were warned in advance would be closed for repairs most of our visit.) There's no pool. But the real point is the location. The hotel has bicycles to ride the nicely flat paths beside the Mosel River (100 meters away.) You can visit a winery in town, or take a cab (remember European drunken driving enforcement ...) to the major wine twin-towns of Bernkastel-Kues, 5km away. We drove to Trier (35 minutes, half very scenic local roads.) for sightseeing, and to Traben-Trarbach, just beyond Bernkastel. Any town on the Mosel is close to here. Our arrival from Burg Eltz castle using a GPS included a lot of narrow local roads, but was quick and uneventful.

I should note that major German wineries have limited retail staffs, and may require an appointment for wine-tastings. Even if you suspect that the hotel has a "relationship" with these places, we found purchases of superb wines from the vintner to be a good deal. We bought many wines we had tasted for under 10 euros a bottle.

What's the definition of a luxury hotel? We don't stay at that many. At Weinromantikhotel Richtershof, it means that when the desk clerk is already talking to a guest, the person in the office jumps up and comes out to answer your question, instead of staying on the phone with her sister-in-law. In the 25' ceiling, glass-walled breakfast room, the waitress asks for your room number not to make sure you get charged, but so that she can address you by name the next morning! Better than a fruit bowl, there was a cake in our room to welcome us. Although there were one or two tee-shirted guests, most guests wore at least polo shirts and slacks. Everyone here was charming and helpful. There's a spacious, gated parking lot across the street for guests.

Do note that, like much of Europe, there is no air-conditioning. The location is very quiet, but you will hear birds and distant traffic in the morning. During a hot spell, it might be stuffy. We had five windows with two exposures (which we kept closed in the heat of the afternoon), so it cooled off nicely at night.

We did not eat at their high-end, and very expensive restaurant, a significant omission from this review. We had a lovely semi-formal dinner in the cool garden beside the hotel. That was just medium-expensive. I'm very glad we stayed here.

Room Tip: Pay just a little more for the best.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 6 June 2011

Weinromantikhotel Richtershof is a very romantic hotel. It is situated not far from the flood Mosel in the Mosel Valley.

If you travel in the valley you will find a lot of over-night places type “Zimmer” (“Room”) with bed and breadfast. But to find a nice hotel is a little bit more difficult, so I can highly recommend this hotel with their beautiful and calm rooms, with friendly staff and over all a friendly atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
WashingtonDC
Reviewed 6 January 2011

My fiancé and I stayed at the Richtershof as part of the ‘culinary fireworks for the turn of the new year.’ We had an absolutely fabulous time at the hotel, and it is a true Relais & Chateaux property that is very charming. We stayed in a junior suite (second-highest category), which was nice, but you have to remember you’re working with Euro hotel sizes, not American. The rooms were well-appointed, but some of the rooms I saw when the maids were cleaning them…looked on the ‘pretty small’ side.

The service stood out to me the most. We were the only Americans and/or English speakers at the hotel and were also a gay couple, but the staff were accommodating and accepting in both respect. They all spoke English well and were not haughty when we would speak it to them since we do not speak German at all. The reception was consistently friendly and helpful (gave us directions, made us future hotel reservations, etc). I think the true test of a staff is if they made you feel special as if they were focusing on you, and I did feel that. …After all, it was pretty hard to miss, since whenever they were speaking English, it was always to us.

I would recommend this hotel to my friends, especially for the location in the middle of the Mosel Valley. It’s very close to Bernkastel-Kues without being as touristy and packed. We went in winter when the vineyards (there are a LOT of them) were covered in snow and the area had no tourists, but I couldn’t imagine it summer/fall. The crowds!! Mulheim is a fine, small town, but not really anything to write home about.

The Roman spa was actually very good! It was pretty amazing that they fit the steam bath and sauna and fountains and hot tub and showers and chairs into that small room… It was rather relaxing (and free). The spa was nothing special, neither great nor poor. The receptionist at the spa is also the masseuse, so who knows who was manning the desk when I got my treatment! The Davidoff cigar lounge is very classy. I thought it was very neat and interesting the small hotel had that upstairs. The champagne brunches were GREAT, and they had one of the best coffees I’ve ever tried in my life. There is no staff entrance, so the kitchen is just bringing out food the whole time, which is a bit random in the negative sense. I did not eat at the Culinarium, so I can’t comment on that place (the package had us eating in the ballroom, which is only for special occasions).

(Also, I disagree with the previous poster who said the packages were a rip-off. When staying at a Relais & Chateaux property, I always try to get the meal packages included so you can get the whole experience. Really, you’re paying for the historic rooms and the views of the Mosel River, which are great. I don’t feel that my culinary New Year’s Eve package was a rip-off *whatsoever*, since I did a calculation like the other reviewer did…and came out way ahead.)

There were not any major or minor drawbacks that I can think of during the 3 days we spent at the Richtershof, and have absolutely no problem giving this hotel a 5-star review. It’s not a huge Mandarin Oriental with 20 random Asian ladies at your beckon call in Singapore (to which people give 5-stars nowadays), and that’s the way I prefer, because this was way we got to know the staff there over the short time we stayed there. Overall, this was a enjoyable and personal stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jg325
haifa israel
Reviewed 31 December 2010

we stayed at this hotel one night during a trip to rhine and mosel vallies. every corner in the hotel is nice and well planned and maintained. our room was nice with white furnishings. we didn't have dinner but enjoyed a very good breakfast in pleasant place. when we were checking out one of the staff members heard it's my wife 60 birthday and gave us one of their own wine bottles as a gift. it was very impressive.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
antwerp
Reviewed 20 December 2009

We had the intention to book a romantic and quiet winter weekend, and this is pretty much what we got! The place is very well located, between Trier and Bernkastel-Kues, where we had a chance to enjoy the Christmas markets (their reputation is well deserved). The hotel is spotless and well designed, the employees extremely helpful, and the room charming. The breakfast buffet is generous and tasty, and the Culinarium-R restaurant excellent, and they really went out of their way to make sure we enjoy our dinner.
One thing they could certainly work on is making it a little more accessible to English speakers. While it's nice to experience German hospitality in the tongue of the land, it would be nice to able to rent a movie in English or have available literature and/or magazines in English.
Another thing was the shower in our "Petit Charme" room, which wasn't really a bath or even a real shower. We were told it was like that to accomodate disabled people, but it wasn't very romantic...
Otherwise- a highly recommended hotel!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Antwerp2Dutch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mulheim an der Mosel
2.6 km away
Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfuersten
Vital & Wellnesshotel zum Kurfue...
#1 of 24 in Bernkastel-Kues
2.0 km away
Brauneberger Hof
Brauneberger Hof
#1 of 3 in Brauneberg

Been to Weinromantikhotel Richtershof? Share your experiences!