All reviews national holidays free bar cable car lake constance bernina express fantastic holiday beautiful scenery night stay first floor recommend this trip budget holiday alpine switzerland balcony mountains dave wald
Reviewed May 22, 2018

Just returned from a wonderful trip with National Holidays to Austria, Switzerland and Germany. Stunning views on the Glacier and Bernina Express in Switzerland and a lovely cruise on Beautiful Lake Bodensee ( Constance) in Germany. Met some lovely people, especially two other ladies whom we palled up with and helped make our holiday much more enjoyable. Last but not least. The hotel was lovely, very cosy and clean, large rooms, friendly staff and gorgeous food. Thomas the chef went out of his way to cater for my complex dietary needs, nothing was too much trouble and he even offered to do shopping if there was anything I needed. I love Gastof Spullersee Wald

Room tip: The front rooms have balconies to sit out on, We were down the side but we still had a lovely view of the mountains
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2017

Just returned home fro our trio to Austria, we had a fantastic time you spend quite a lot of time in Switzerland, the views are beautiful everywhere you go. I would advise you take your own kettle teabags ect as there is know tea facilities in the rooms. The Bennini Express fantastic but we found the Glacier Express quite boring so wish we had just done our own thing on that day maybe jumped on a bus they stop right outside the hotel, or got on the cable car which is a five /ten min walk from hotel. Our drivers Ivan and Carl were brilliant and fun tho Ivans driving was a bit ?? hair raising at times. They took us on a optional day tri to Insbruck which I say is well worth the visit, Lake Constance was lovely I thought you would just see a great big lake how wrong could you be,,, there is a lovely town for us ladies to do shopping!!The hotel is basic but fair for the price you pay, the unlimited free bar makes up for it if you drink lager wine or coke! Carl also makes it fun by getting us to play Bingo yes I said Bingo we all had a laugh.. we saw some beautiful scenery yes you do spend quite a lot of time sitting on the coach but if you need a break then sit back and enjoy the views, our drivers stopped often so we could take photos stretch our legs or have a quick smoke. our over night stay in France coming home was lovely we stayed at the Novetel Hotel there is a very big shopping complex and very large wine shop just over the road and you can get something to eat. Just one warning everything is double in price so take plenty snax drinks and CASH!! One last thing if the drivers stop at a service stop with pumpkins outside a very large service stop with lovely shops inside Be very careful where you eat We had one cake 2 teas 2 bowls of chips and my hubby had a sausage and it cost 45 euros!!! So be warned.

Date of stay: September 2017
1  Thank Debbi F
Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I have just spent a national holidays week at this hotel and had a lovely stay. We had a first floor front of building room with balcony giving us a lovely view of the mountains,it was a small room but adequate for our needs. The staff were friendly enough very limited English but we got by. Alt of people moaned about the food but I really enjoyed most of it not much choice or variety but when you budget holiday in my mind you can't complain unless the food is beyond dire! I did hear rumour that the management was moaning that people were having more than two drinks each but if you advertise four hour free bar then you must take it with a pinch of salt. There is not much in the surrounding area to do out of winter season but the excursions got you out. Apart from little things like no kettle in the room,no iron or board and no English TV channel(but when on holiday do you really need a TV) I thought the whole hotel experience was very pleasing.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jessejames69
Reviewed July 26, 2017

We just came back on 23rd July from Wald with National Holidays. We were a party of 19 friends and enjoyed every minute of it. The hotel is comfortable, the food was good and the staff were brilliant and the weather was perfect! Sadly we can't say the same about the unfriendly and rude manager! No idea why he is employed? Both our drivers, Dave and Graham were brilliant and could not do enough for us. I have travelled with National Holidays several times before and they were by far the best drivers! We enjoyed all our trips on the trains in Switzerland. Ok - yes - you do spend a lot of times on the coach - but it is what it is - a coach trip! On our free day we went up on the cable car to Sonnkopf where you enjoy beautiful views and walks. Another day we took the local bus to Lech and went on another bus to Formarinsee. A stunning lake in high Alpine pastures. We really had a brilliant time and would recommend this trip. Just a small grunt - the evening meal at the hotel Ibis in Metz on our return journey was appalling ! Most of us refused to pay the bill as it was a disaster! I hope National Holidays will think this one through and perhaps avoid taking people for dinner there. Otherwise the hotel was very comfortable. It was such a shame.
Our group are already looking to book another tour for next summer! ..........

Room tip: We had room 4 at the front which was very good. Best rooms are at the front with balconies.
Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Bellydancer28
Reviewed July 25, 2017

This was a coach tour with national holidays. After 2 full days travelling by coach I arrived at Gasthof Spullersee. I had paid £90 extra room supplement. Choosing to go on this trip was swayed by the breathtaking scenery that had been promised with this hotel! Wrong!!! I opened the door to the hotel room number 17, it was a smaller room which I expected being single, what I didn't expect was the fact that there was no window!! The only natural light was from a sky light. There was a small glass door leading out to the underneath of the eaves, full of spiders and webs, not a nice place to be. This had no curtain or lock and was directly opposite the pillows on the bed. So while laid in bed this is what you faced.
When I went to see the manager, I explained that I had booked the trip to see the views, he rudely remarked " while your on the bus look out of that window for your views". I mentioned about the glass door not having a curtain and the fact that I couldn't reach the blind on the skylight. He came to my room and stood on the bed closed the blind shutting out any natural light and remarked that's sorted now! My week away was like sleeping in a dog kennel.
As for the food I suggest you take plenty of snacks as the food is disgusting!
The coach trips were quite gruelling, travelling some days for about 11 hours in total with only 1 hour being stood or able to stretch legs.
The only thing that was a positive about the trip was the other travellers on the coach, they were a really good bunch of people.
The scenery on the bus was spectacular also

Room tip: Choose a different hotel
Date of stay: July 2017