“A real find”

Chateau de Villereglan
Reviewed 20 September 2014

We stayed at Chateau de Villereglan last night and couldn't of been happier that we had found this wonderful place. Isabelle and her friends who looked after us couldn't have been more charming and the house itself was beautiful.
We will most certainly return.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 September 2014

We never return to the same place twice because we like to go somewhere different each year but we had to return again to this Chateau. It's big and comfortable with a fantastic kitchen to cook in. Easy to pick up people from Cacassonne airport so if you have friends and family coming you don't have to spend all day as a taxi driver!
Yes the village is quite with no shops but the main shopping big supermarket is 5 minutes drive away. We had a couple of fantastic meals cooked in by a young local chef which was cheaper than going to a restaurant. Loads of DVD's for a movie night and a big lounge to sit and enjoy it in.I would highly recommend this if you want a luxury break in a lovely house with loads of friends or family. There is a local lake and beach area which is great if you have kids who like a more beach feel.
Isabelle was a great host really helpful with anything we needed.
As for the two poor reviews on trip advisor it says more about the people who wrote them than this Chateau and the staff.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MacStAlbans
Reviewed 26 June 2014

From the moment we arrived Isabelle could not have been anymore helpful. Everything was first class. Exceptionally clean, friendly and very welcoming - a must for those that appreciate nice things and nice people. We all have something to say, but I cannot say enough good things about this place (unlike the grumpy New Yorkers) will go back again soon and often!

• Stayed: June 2014
Villereglan, Owner at Chateau de Villereglan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you so much for your nice comment and you are most welcome off course again!
Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My family rented the entire Chateau last summer for one week. The property is very nice and located in a somewhat deserted little town. We were greeted by Isabelle, the current owner, who gave us a tour of the property and amenities. We paid extra to have groceries the first day, for a chef to prepare a large family dinner and for additional maid service during the week. Isabelle acted like everything was fine and dandy throughout our stay (she came to the property several times during the week); however, upon conclusion of our stay we felt like Isabelle was scrounging for every last penny of our damage deposit.

She claimed issues to the house that had nothing to do with us or which were in our opinion very unreasonable - these included claiming damage to a pool cover (which we never used as the weather was so hot and we were in the pool every day), that pebbles were in the pool filter (they can be removed by hand), that stains were on her couch (yes, there were, but easily removable with soap and water), that the kitchen items were not placed back exactly how she had them when we moved in and the fridge had food in it (there was no stipulation of this requirement in the contract, and we weren't about to throw out food that was still edible), that the rooms were left unclean (with tiny little garbage cans in the bathroom and used sheets i'm not sure what she expected, as well as the fact that the payment for extra cleaning service seemed to make no difference since the cleaners hardly did anything), that there were too many people staying (she saw us all and said nothing during the week) and that wine bottles were missing (which we did not see or consume) to name a few.

We were truly disappointed in her behavior and didn't bother fighting for our damage deposit as the process is onerous through the rental websites and none of us live in France. I would tread very carefully around her because her pleasant smile did not reflect how she dealt with us.

If any fellow travelers are interested in the terms of the agreement we entered into, please contact me through TripAdvisor and I can send them to you.

We won't be going back or recommending her Chateau to anyone.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Foufikins
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We took the whole 'Chateau' for seven days. The house (I do think 'Chateau' is stretching it!) is spacious and easily accommodated our family group of seven. The village is a ghost town apart from Saturday nights when you can hear people having get-togethers. There is no bar/shop/life. It is a shame there is nowhere to buy fresh bread or have a beer without getting in the car. There is an excellent supermarket five minutes drive away and the town of Limoux has bakeries, butchers etc. The market, however, was rather disappointing with a distinct lack of produce (cheeses, meats, salad etc) which we have always previously found in French markets.

There were 52 steps from the ground floor to the majority of the bedrooms. This would certainly present a problem for anyone elderly or slightly infirm and was not mentioned prior to booking.

Bathrooms were newly done with good showers and plenty of towels. Beds were comfortable but, yet again, I was glad to have my own pillow. (Why does this crop up time and time again in my reviews? How difficult is it these days to provide decent quality pillows?)

The kitchen was well equipped though the ice-maker struggled to keep up with the seven of us so it would fight a losing battle with a house full.

The ping pong table had one broken bat...that was it, so we bought our own (at the supermarket). We had been told the swimming pool would be cleaned/checked regularly and that someone would come to tend the garden. They came once. The pool is a sun-trap until mid-afternoon and feels very enclosed within a high wall and planting. Any views from this property are solely from the top floor bedrooms. One of the sun loungers was broken. Metal tables and chairs, while looking nice were rusty. A stool in the sitting room had a broken leg...luckily no-one sat on it.

We were told (on arrival) to keep shutters closed at night to avoid bat invasions. To do this necessitates leaning alarmingly out of the windows to pull the shutters in as if they were not secured 100% they banged all night.

On arrival we were told the three cats living at the property could be 'removed'. Due to one of our party being allergic to cats (there was no mention of their existence in any information on the house though, I suppose we should have asked) we requested their 'removal'. The owner suddenly didn't seem pleased. One cat remained and it became a pantomime keeping it out of the house, especially at night.

As expected, cleaners arrived 30 minutes before our departure then proceeded to sit outside smoking while we ran around stripping beds, and taking rubbish and bottles to the refuse collection point in the village by car. That this was not included in the substantial cost incurred renting this property I find incredible. Does the owner expect her B&B guests to strip their beds and empty their own garbage? I doubt it.

If you are looking for a French rental property I would not recommend this. Rather look for something with a view, shops/restaurants you can amble to and windows you can keep open during hot weather! It seems to me that if you take this whole property you are giving the owner a week off...at your expense!

Room Tip: There are two bedrooms on the first floor, which share a bathroom and sitting room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank UkBruno
Villereglan, Owner at Chateau de Villereglan, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a revieuw about my property, but as I can read you were not very happy.
What a shame you didn't tell me this while you where staying a few hours longer as the check out time and you told me you had such a nice holdiday and the house was so enoumously clean.
We always come an half an hour earlier to see and ask if everything is fine and went well als as I have mentiond with arrival this is also a service for our guests.
As a holiday rental there are other rules than for a chambre de hotes guest, as is told in the rental contract from Pure France you need to leave it behind as you found it. That counts for all holdayrentals.
For the bad of the ping pong table you could have asked me there are more in the poolhouse.
The chatters have special metal grips so you can atach them easly so they won't slap but why didn't you ask me? as wel for the bats? you can open your windows and close your shutters half way, the house is made to stay cool in summers. But there is nothing as a batinvasion!
And I came 2 times to check the pool as I really notice you didn't like as I came while you were there, so I came once when you weren't their to check the pool, to be as discrete a s possible for you.
For the Cats maybe there was a cat of the neighbours bothering you but mine where 20km away from you.
It is really not a week of holiday when i have people staying in my own private house, I try to do everything I can to make it as good as possible for my guests, so I'm very sorry to read this after.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Chateau. The accommodation is large and beautifully furnished with a genuine French feel. Isabelle informed us it had historically belonged to the village Baron. Our room was at the top floor and had a large adjoining room for out teenage daughter as well as a lovely spacious bathroom with the prettiest view of any bathroom I have stayed in before, over-looking the roof-tops and distant vine-yards. It was magical to open all the windows and push back the shutters each morning for the beautiful views. Breakfast in the grand dining room was lovely with cooked hams, cheese and boiled eggs as well as French yoghurts, fruit and croissants. Isabelle was very helpful when asked for directions or suggestions of suitable locations to visit and she kindly booked a table for us at the nearby Domaine Gaydar restaurant on two occasions. The village is very quiet without even a small shop so a car is a must but visitors [including ourselves] all seemed to have cars for their planned touring of the area. We loved it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We arrived by bike from Carcassone had a nice room in the garden and relaxed in the swimming pool. Beautiful restaurant on 30 min biking distance, but understand that dinner can be arranged at this wonderful B&B. Isabelle has created her own little paradise.

Room Tip: We like the garden room with private sitting area.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Chateau de Villereglan? Share your experiences!