All reviewssea saltmuay thai classspa villagetai restaurantspecial thanksin room diningguardian angelreef poolsunset cocktailsfour seasonsocean view villastreet foodcomplimentary activitiesshook restauranttour of the propertylowest temperatureprivate cooking class
Reviewed May 24, 2018 via mobile

Really too Hotel little bit up and down therefore you get amazing views.

Nice Villas we stayed in the 2nd category.
The room had a site of an apartment.

Could stay there forever , no problem.

When it shallow water you have some plastic at the beach but I think that's alredy normal in that bay of Thailand.

Stayed: May 2018
Mahmoud S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2018

Dear Luxury T,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your room and that your stay was a pleasant one. We do agree with you that the views of the ocean from our rooms and beach are indeed beautiful.

Your comment regarding the plastic on the beach is noted and communicated with our team, who do their best daily to ensure the beach is clean and safe for all our guests.

Should your travels ever bring you back to Koh Samui, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you once more.

Reviewed May 14, 2018 via mobile

The Ritz-Carlton Ko Samui’s product and service is world class. Located away from the bustling tourist-filled districts, the serene atmosphere allows even the most busy-minded individuals to find a sense of peace and relaxation.

The views throughout the property, in the room, from the balcony, and even on the short walk from the room to the buggy, are absolutely breathtaking.

The seafood ceviche served by the pool was incredible. The yellowfin tuna ceviche was my favorite, so much so that I had ordered it twice during my stay. The first time was a little spicier which I liked, the second time I ordered it the following day it was a little less spicy but delicious nonetheless.

I want to especially thank Maria and Hanny’s team which were always attentive to all of our needs. Sid and the rest of the attendants were always checking in with us and genuinely personable characters.

Concierge Hanny was top notch. She was my go-to person for recommendations. Our party wanted to avoid the typical tourist traps and dine with the locals. She picked the perfect spot where we managed to have an incredible meal and meet a bunch of new local friends. Definitely one of our favorite experiences of our trip!

Shout out to Sophie and her reception team! Ohoh and Am’s Muay Thai class was exactly what I needed to keep myself active. They managed make it a fun workout for both my friend, a beginner, and myself, someone with a more extensive background in Muay Thai. We also enjoyed our paddle boarding session. Too much fun! It’s a shame we didn’t get to squeeze in yoga.

The guest relations team was great. I met Bernice during check-in and she was so accommodating in anticipating our departure plans. Chloe was incredibly thoughtful and brought an ice pack for my friend who was experiencing slight discomfort in her foot. She also gifted us individual copies of our group picture from the peak. The personalized notes and photographs were a heartwarming gesture and we will definitely remember our stay for years to come- Our group will have to plan another reunion in the near future!

Truly a world-class property with first class ladies and gentlemen.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Winchel Y
Mahmoud S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2018

Dear Winchel Y,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review of your recent stay with us.

I am truly grateful to learn that you and your friends thoroughly enjoyed the services and facilities here, ranging from our dining experiences, all the way to the Muay Thai and even paddle board activities. Our Ladies and Gentlemen are always looking to create unique and memorable experiences for our guests and I am glad that this has been achieved with you during your visit. Rest assured that I have shared your kind compliments with Mariia, Hanny, Honey, Sophie, Oh Oh, Amp, Bernice, and Chloe, for the exemplary care that they have provided to you and your friends.

The team and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back for more memorable experiences in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2018 via mobile

I was VERY excited to stay at the Ritz Carlton, Koh Samui until I arrived at the hotel a few hours ago. Upon check-in, I was kindly told that I had booked the wrong rate type - the rate I chose was for only "Thai locals.” They allowed me to keep the rate (a $21USD difference) but removed the discounts that came with the Thai Locals package - 20% off spa and restaurants. I mentioned that I found it a bit odd that they discriminated against tourists from other parts of the world, but they kindly explained that is was part of their "strategy." Hmmm...

Prior to my arrival, I spoke with a woman named Nan twice on the phone and mentioned both times that I was hoping for an upgrade to the next room category (as listed on their website and the Ritz app - see photos) which was listed as the Pool Villa, Resort View. She said that she would mention this to the front desk team. When I finally made it to my room I found that I was given a room with an ocean view rather than a Pool Villa, Resort View. Very disappointing!

When I mentioned that I wanted the Pool Villa WHICH IS LISTED AT A LOWER CASH RATE THAN THE OCEAN VIEW (17,950 Bhat for the Pool Villa, Resort View and 20,500 Bhat for the Ocean view on May 13-15) they refused. I even showed them on the app and they still refused. Yikes!

Instead, they asked me for 7,500 Bhat (approx $220USD) more per night + government tax + 10% service fee! I said no thank you and started to look for a new hotel on my phone.

I didn't like the idea of being extorted for more money upon arrival - it felt slimy and wrong to me. If they have the rooms free the nights I'm there (which they did given that this is low season and they are half full) they should give them to the guest, especially those guests with Ritz Carlton Gold/Platinum status.

Eventually, the front of the house manager, Mohamad Salman, came to the room (423) to explain that there is a difference between a suite and villa and that I was in a suite category, not a villa category. He could not offer an explanation for why the Ritz Carlton website and app both list the next room type, after the terrace room, sequentially, as the Pool Villa, Resort View. I urged Mohamad to consider reordering the rooms online to reduce confusion for guests and set expectations lower. Mohamad then offered to put me in a Pool Villa with an Ocean View for $6,000 Bhat more per night (approx $180USD + government tax + 10% service fee. I said, no thank you.

I then spent the next 30 minutes researching other hotels in the area and booked an alternate hotel next door to the Ritz. Mohamad kindly gave me a complimentary ride to the hotel next door, a bottle of water and I was gone. I am STUNNED / APPALLED that they hold the plunge pool rooms so tightly (in low season!), but I guess that is also part of their "strategy" as well.

Boy, I sure hope that “strategy” is working for them!

This wasn't how I saw this evening playing out, but I am glad I didn't give into their extortion demands and found a nearby hotel that worked for me - with a lovely plunge pool!

******

I included a few photos of room 423 (Ocean View) - it felt a bit sterile and cold or lifeless - literally no artwork, no accent wall with color, no decorations/objects, all cream colored and bland, limited lighting. I was expecting something with a bit more flavor and excitement at a Ritz Carlton in Thailand - not the case at all.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
10  Thank J Y
Mahmoud S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2018

Dear J Y,

Firstly, as shared in my e-mail to you, I would like to express my disappointment upon learning that you were left with a negative impression of the resort and eventually decided against staying with us. We take comments like these very seriously, and I have since investigated on your experience.

When reserving a room on our website, guests will be automatically directed to the tab with the lowest available rate. On that tab, the room categories are then shown starting from the lowest rate deals to the highest rate deals.

For your intended stay dates, the lowest available rate we had was the “Locals Experience” package and it was featured on the ‘Deals & Packages’ tab. The 2 room types applicable for this package is the Terrace Suite and the Pool Villa, featured in this order. The rate of 20,500 THB that you saw for the Ocean View Suite is a different package called “Rewards Exclusive: Elites VVIP Care”, available for all Elite members with a guaranteed upgrade to our Pool Villa. This package is not applicable for our Pool Villa, and as such, not a comparable rate to the 17,950 THB “Locals Experience” rate you saw.

We regret that this caused a misunderstanding of our room categories. Rest assured that this information is reflected accurately on our website with all room types listed categorically on our ‘Rooms and Suites’ tab, as well as the ‘Standard Rates’ tab.

I have also investigated the matter and have spoken our reservation team who confirmed that you indeed called twice and requested for a room upgrade which was then duly noted under your reservation. It was also reconfirmed with you over the phone that you had made two reservations under different room packages; one of which was the “Locals Experience” package. I am informed that you insisted upon keeping the reservation under the “Locals Experience” package even after it was explained to you that a valid work permit or Thai ID would be required upon check-in. This was then repeated to you upon your arrival.

During check-in, your original booking for a Terrace Suite was then upgraded to an Ocean View Suite, as an acknowledgment of your Gold Elite status. I am made to understand that our offers of a special upgrade fee for a Pool Villa were unfortunately not agreeable with you, and you then decided to leave.

Once again, I hope the above provides some clarity to the matter and should you wish to discuss further, you have my e-mail contact and I would be happy to address them.

Reviewed May 13, 2018 via mobile

Firstly, I’d like to start the review by saying that we were worried before our stay after reading a few of the reviews but you need not worry - we had the BEST time and couldn’t fault our stay.

When we arrived, we were blown away by the arrival pavilion, what a way to start a stay, it was beautiful! We were greeted by Meow, who was so welcoming and friendly, she explained everything to us and answered any questions, she took us on a tour of the resort which was great!

We then went to our Ocean View Pool Villa, which was just incredible. We stayed at another Ritz-Carlton property last year which was amazing, but this even topped that. It was huge, clean, the bed was SO comfortable, hashing our own pool and terrace felt so luxurious, we actually spent one day at the villa without leaving! Also, don’t be put off by the comments on having to walk/get buggy’s or waiting times for buggy’s as we never waited more than a few minutes to be picked up and taken wherever we wished.

We had room service which was really good, we also ate at Tides and Sea Salt by the pool/beach... this was amazing. We wanted to order Thai whenever we could and so we tried almost every Thai dish, it was probably one of the best green curry’s I’ve had. We also tried the prawn and both tuna ceviche which were DELICIOUS! We loved this and wish I could have it back in London! Also recommend the gazpacho, which was tasty and fresh, perfect in the heat. The chef was also really chatty and nice.

We ate at Pak Tai twice and I tried the yellow curry with blue crab and it was the best curry I’ve ever tried. It was mouth-wateringly good. We also had panang curry, massaman curry which were amazing, the beef was melt in your mouth. The seafood is also yummy. It was also a great setting sat around the reef with the Thai music and dancers.

As mentioned a few times in other reviews, the breakfast is very good. So much choice, the pancakes, omelette and noodle soups were our favourites but also the almond croissants!

The guys and girls by the pool need a special mention because we thought they were brilliant. They were so attentive and thought one step ahead about what you’d want/need (e.g. an ice bucket for water before you even ask or think about it). They were funny and friendly and nothing was too much to ask :-).

We went to the sunset cocktails most nights at the arrival pavillion which we would highly recommend. It’s a stunning sunset and it’s a great way to chat to the staff and have some (very tasty) nibbles and drinks. Jojo was who we spoke to most nights, he was lovely and kind. I mentioned my sunburn and when I got back to the room, there was extra aloe Vera in there for us and a few days later when it was still quite bad, he had some pure aloe Vera made and put in a little pot for me, all without mentioning and just as an extra thought. It made me feel really special and also shows the attention to detail and wanting to make guests feel as welcomed as possible.

We went also to the fisherman’s village organised by the hotel, I’d also highly recommend this! Great for a walk round and some street food, presents for family etc. We ended the night at Coco Tem which was an Italian restaurant on the beach recommended by a few staff members which we loved!

One night a week the hotel do their own street food market called Baan Talat and this was such a good night. There’s all sorts of food to try and Thai dancers and music on the stage as well. Definitely go if you can!

We also hired a moped for a few days to go exploring the island and a few trips to the local town, we simply called the reception and they organised this for us for 500THB per day (includes insurance).

We ended our trip at the beautiful spa village with an aloe Vera and coconut oil massage.... wow, this was fabulous. Felt so relaxed and the massage itself was brilliant. The ladies were lovely and we wished we had more time to get other treatments.

The manager, Mariia, we chatted to a few times and she was great. She was very switched on, had lots of experience and you could tell she was working hard with this fantastic hotel. We can’t thank her enough for our stay as it was truly memorable.

All in all, we had the best holiday we could have ever imagined or hoped for. We cannot recommend this resort enough, from the finish of the resort itself, the food, views, setting, rooms and especially the staff and service... it was outstanding.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Amy F

Dear Amy F,

Thank you very much for the amazing review and for the recommendations of activities and dishes you have tried.

I am thrilled to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay experience and it is truly an honor to receive your kind compliments. At The Ritz-Carlton, the genuine care and comfort of our guests is always our highest mission and it warms my heart to learn that this was shown to you during your visit. Rest assured that your complements for our Ladies and Gentlemen have been shared with the team, in particular, Meow, Jojo, Mariia, and the pool and beach team.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back for more Ritz-Carlton memories in the future.

Reviewed May 9, 2018 via mobile

What a beautiful property ! Stunning view from our room, swimming pool overlooking the ocean and to top it all off amazing and friendly service from the staff ! Special thanks to Chloe from Guest Services for giving us the property tour, anticipating the ice pack when my friend needed it and seeing us off , prepared with a farewell card ! I met “oh oh” from when I went paddle boarding , also very friendly! I will definitely be back again !

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Revilo P
Mahmoud S, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Koh Samui, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2018

Dear Revilo P,

Thank you for the wonderful review!

We are thrilled to hear that you and your friends thoroughly enjoyed the view from your room, along with the services and facilities rendered. Thank you as well for the kind compliments about Chloe and Oh Oh; I will be sure to share your comments with them, for the excellent personal service they have shown.

The team and I look forward to warmly welcoming you back for more exceptional experiences in the future.

Warmest regards,