“Spectacular Resort”

Spice Island Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Grand Anse
Reviewed 14 October 2008

Spice Island Beach Resort is truly heaven on earth....the world-class rooms, the beautiful beach outside your door and the most gracious staff imaginable make it truly one of the most amazing destinations on earth....can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank desmith14

Reviewed 5 October 2008

We (my husband to be and I plus two friends) travelled to the Spice Island Resort to get married and have our honeymoon. When we arrived at the hotel, I have to say I was disapointed, I felt that that the entrance to the hotel was a lot smaller and less grand than photos had suggested. However, once inside, a tropical oasis awaited.

The check in was wounderful and we all received upgrades to ajoining Sea Grape suites on the beach. These rooms were stylish, very spacious and had amazing bathrooms, complete with walk-in shower, seperate bath and Molton Brown products. There was a skylight and shutters that divivided the bathroom and bedroom which, when opened, provided amazing views out to the beach.

We married on the 16th and we have to say a huge thank you to Hermiane and Darvina who went out of their way to make our day exaclty how we wanted it, nothing was too much trouble. The chef made a bespoke cake, bananna and coconut, which was the best cake we had ever eaten! Following the ceremony, we all enjoyed dinner on the beach, which was outside of our rooms. We choose our own menu for the evening and had our own waiter, we named him Super Shaun. He was a joy and made our evening perfect.
Nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff, who always smiled and addressed us by our names at all times. Service was outstanding, yet inconsistant at times, particulaly with the drinks service outside your room, some days it happened ( and was most welcome), some days it didnt. Apart from the drinks service, the attention to detail was outstanding in all areas, the staff were the most acommadating and happiest people I have ever met. We gave the staff nicknames which I think demostrates how fond of them we all became: Super Shaun, Amazing Abby, Fabulous Fabion, Terrific Trisha, Marvelous Marvin, Dazzling Davina, the list is endless.

Before we went we had read reviews about the food being poor - I have to say that this is nonense. The food quality and selection was excellent and could not be faulted, although my husband felt the lunch menu was limited for his tastes. One evening my husband sampled the home made banana ice cream, following this he asked for it after every meal. One day it was not on the menu and his little faced dropped when the waitress politely told him all the ice cream had gone. We returned later that day from a trip to find the chef had made my husband his own batch of banana ice cream - he was also knicknamed banna man by the restaurant staff who knew each meal would now be followed with a very large serviing of the best ice cream he had ever tasted.

My only real criticism of our "weddingmoon", sounds very snobby, but the expecations are set so high within the hotel I feel it's justified. On the day of our wedding we received a card from Sir Royston thanking us for choosing the spice island for our wedding and wishing us all the best. A lovely touch. The day after our wedding, the weekly cocktail party took place where Sir Royston personally greets his guests ( there were very few guests during our stay due to the time of year, c30% occupancy) we were introduced to him, he had no idea we had just married, which made me feel the card was not geninine , given the level of service experienced every where else within the hotel, I was disapointed. It would have been better not to have received a card at all.

Although this hotel is undoubtidly world class wth excellent service, with a few small tweaks it would be unsurpassable. We have stayed at world class hotels, including the Ritz Carlton, where service is systemiised, at Spice Island it was genuine. By combining the two it would be fantastic. We will be going back next year

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank needhae
Reviewed 3 October 2008

I have just returned from this resort this very day, and I must say I can not praise this hotel highly enough. If you ever stay in Grenada you MUST stay at this hotel. Much has been said in other reviews about the food here, one in particular which didn't seem to rate it very high all i can say to this was, were they staying at the same hotel I was? I found the food unbelievably good and the service second to none. Like the previous reviewer Sir Royston was off island for part of my holiday BUT I found no difference in the service or dedication of the staff they were BOTH of the highest caliber the whole time of my stay, even the guy who cleaned my patio (a gentleman named Curtis) who I had a chat with everday asked after my welfare and my heath. All of the staff knew my self and my wifes name by the second day of our stay and i enjoyed the company of them all, we both thought of them especially Ryan, Fabian and Tamara as friends not just as members of staff and were very sorry to leave them.

We made very good friends at this hotel and had tremdous fun I particularly liked the soft music in the background which enabled everybody to talk without having to raise their voices to high although my wife has always said i talk to much anyway. I plan (heath and finance permitting) to return next year and have already requested my same room. We stayed in the seagape suite which I must say was bigger than the ground floor of my house, the air conditioning was the best iv'e experienced in the whole of the Caribbean Islands iv'e visited. You run out of praise words when you talk about this resort so don't miss a chance for a visit

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank John-Owen
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Having stayed at this hotel twice previously and written excellent reviews of it everytime, we didnt think it would get any better BUT IT DID!.

Congratulations to Sir Hopkin, Lady Hopkin and the rest of the family and management team for yet another unforgettable stay.

There are so many plus points about our stay and actually no minus points - it was perfect!

We took friends with us this time having boasted so much about this resort and as we touched down back in Manchester on our return, their comment was "you were right, it was fantastic and when you go again, can we come too".

The island is wonderful, locals friendly. We hired a car from Ryan Hopkin at the Hotel to take our friends out around the island and i must say that the service which Ryan Hopkin provided was exceptional and a great plus to the facilities of the hotel.

As much as we would like to continue to keep our little piece of paradise a secret we feel that if there is anywhere in the Carribean i would choose to go and recommend, it would be Grenada.

The Chef, Mark, provided excellent, exciting and very imaginative menu and we all looked forward to seeing the menu for dinner and choosing over breakfast, what we were going to have for dinner. Well done, Mark, you and your team should be proud of yourselves!

Spice Island Beach Resort, we congratulate you on the Resort's success!!! Long may it continue! See you in 2009.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank Churney
Reviewed 21 September 2008

We have just had a fantastic fortnight at the Spice Island and it was excellent from the moment we arrived when we were upgraded to a better room. The staff are very welcoming and helpful and there was the real sense that nothing was too much trouble for them.
Housekeeping and the general maintenance was very good. The pool was lovely and there were rarely more than 3 or 4 people there. The beach is public so there are other people wandering around but there are also security guards making sure that nobody hassles the guests and nobody goes into hotel grounds.
The Sea Grape suites are in a great location, right on the beach but with a private patio and hammock. We spent most of our time there and then it was a few metres into the sea which suited us, and periodically somebody came around from the pool bar to take drinks orders so we had the best of the pool, beach and private patio.
There have been comments about the food being overly fussy and repetitious. That was not our experience and we really enjoyed everything we ate, the only problem was trying not to eat too much!
Prior to arriving at the hotel I had e mailed to find out if there was anything special which we could do for our 1st wedding anniversary. The hotel recommended a candlelit dinner on our patio which was excellent. The waiter had gone to some trouble to set up the table and waited on us unobtrusively throughout the whole meal.
However, the true test of customer service is not when things are going well but when it is all going wrong. We were unlucky enough to have booked our trip to Grenada at the last minute with XL though one of their tour operators. The fact that we weren't sure who was going to pay our bill and when we might get home was absolutely no problem and Ryan Hopkin went out of his way to make sure we enjoyed our entire stay at the Spice Island and were not troubled at all by the situation.
My only observation about the hotel was that we went in September and it was relatively quiet, about 33% occupancy and hence in the evenings there were few people about so the atmosphere in the bar was not what it probably is during peak season. Having said that we enjoyed the tranquility very much and so it was not a problem.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ALSEssex_UK
Reviewed 18 September 2008

We stayed at Spice Island Resort in July. We were so looking forward to staying at this 5 star resort. We met a couple on the journey to the hotel who had stayed at the resort many times and when asked what it was like they said “it was perfect in every way and couldn’t fault it”.

First impressions are “wow”, splendid setting, very friendly welcome, impressive rooms. We stayed in the Seagrape Beach Suites which were faultless, beautiful rooms with fantastic view. After a 2hr delay leaving Gatwick and a further 1hr delay at Tobago we were eager to get changed and go to dinner. On the first night the food wasn’t very impressive and our 15 year old son found it very hard to find something on the menu that he would eat. He finally settled on rabbit, which he had never tried in his life, and after the Spice Island experience wouldn’t bother again. Why do they think us Brits would rave over rabbit? Rabbit appeared on the menu quite a few times during our stay along with the callaloo and mahi mahi (a local flat fish which we were told many times). As expressed in a previous review the chef had a talent of 1001 ways with callaloo. Although my son was 15 he wasn’t made aware that there was a choice of a children menu until at least the second week. Most of the children, for which there were quite a few as it was the beginning of the children’s Summer holiday, found it difficult to eat anything off the adult menu.

The first week we experienced terrible rain which caused flooding to the main walkway to the suites. The flooding was so much that we had to remove our shoes, roll our trousers up and paddle our way back to our room late at night. This hotel has been re-built over the past 5 years and this sort of thing should not have happened. There was no member of staff around to help anyone back to the room, especially those with small children.

We only experience the lunchtime menu change once in the 2 weeks we were at the resort. Admittedly there was the specials such as the wonderful cheese and potato wrapped in filo pastry which was a disgusting. It was cold in the middle and the filo pastry soggy, obviously it had been pre-cooked and the chef had attempted to re-heat it without success.

We thought at least the barbeque lunch would be good as we have visited many hotels in the Caribbean and the barbeques lunches have been wonderful. The only choice on the barbeque was chicken (which was horrible legs of chicken, not cooked in the middle) or fish, no sausage, no steak, a poor show for a 5 star resort.

All in all the food was the greatest disappointment of the holiday. It wasn’t until we attended the first Cocktail Party a week later that we were informed that if there wasn’t anything we liked on the menu we could ask for anything as long as we put a request in to reception in the morning. The next day we did request steak and did have a reasonable meal but we shouldn’t have to design our own menu.

By the second week we had had enough and spoke to our rep who was shocked at our reports of bad food and lack of interest in our satisfaction from the staff. Well it was like a tornado struck, the staff couldnt speak to us quick enough. The Manager came to see us to discuss our dissatisfaction but by this time it was at the end of our holiday and the damage had already been done.

We were due to fly home on the Thursday, Sir Royston, the owner, arrived back on the Tuesday – what a difference the whole atmosphere of the hotel changed, everyone was on their toes. On the Wednesday we had the cocktail party and what a difference to the previous week, it was like meeting royalty. Also the restaurant manager had returned from vacation and he was ensuring all the guests were getting first class treatment, what a difference the presence of certain staff can make. Obviously July (most popular with us Brits) is not a good time as senior hotel staff go on holiday.

We were so looking forward to this holiday and considering the high cost we expected it to be "out of this world "but unfortunately it was nothing like. The main part of our holiday is enjoying good food and taking in the atmosphere and surroundings. The food was very poor (we have enjoyed better in 3 star hotels in the Caribbean). Obviously Sir Royston has great a wonderful product but when he is absent the standards drop.

Although we were offered 2 days stay free, should we return? We are still asking ourselves do we give them a second chance? The resort is expensive to stay at and we don’t know whether we are prepared to take the risk.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
8  Thank hollies17
Reviewed 11 September 2008

My husband and I stayed at Spice Island at the tail end of our honeymoon after a week at La Luna. After reading review after review we couldn't decide so ended up going to both - we're so glad we did because we were able to enjoy two amazing and two very different resorts. We never stay at resorts of this caliber but decided to go all-out for our honeymoon and we are so thrilled that we did. It was worth every penny and we didn't have to lift a finger the entire time!

First off, our room was incredible. We stayed in a Luxury Almond Pool Suite and loved it. The pool was warm, always clean and 100% private and we loved the private sun deck for sunbathing (although it was very hot because the walls block the breeze). The room was super clean and bright, new, and floor-to-ceiling luxurious. I loved the shower with the skylight over it (although the shower was a little dark at night) and the fully stocked minibar was awesome. Perfect for getting back to the room after a day at the beach and pouring a cocktail of your choice from the full liter bottles of liquor. They even traded out our selection after we mentioned we'd like a different variety of whiskey! The only thing that was a little weird about the room was the sound of the pipes...the water heater is on the roof and a few times during the night it sounded like it was raining when it was really just water running through pipes across the roof. We got used to it after the first night.

The amenities were also top-notch...water equipment always clean and available, gym was great with lots of new machines, main pool was always clean.

Meals were fantastic and the staff always smiling and addressing us by name. I see how some people feel the food is a little heavy after a few days - I felt the same myself but it is so delicious you get over that as soon as you take your first bite. We requested some lighter dishes that weren't on the menu for room service one night and they were more than happy to do it for us - and the F&B manager even checked in on us in the morning to make sure it had been to our liking. The bar staff were knowledgeable and poured great cocktails...and were always refilling my wine glass before it was empty. Loved that! The birds are quite aggressive during lunchtime but being that they are wildlife there's nothing they can do to keep them at bay.

The beach and the water is simply gorgeous - they say its the nicest beach in St. George - with plenty of room for everyone to spread out. There were very few others on the beach while we were there so it felt nice and private. The snorkeling was ok but better at LaLuna probably because there is so little seaweed or plant life on the sea floor at Spice Island. We saw a bunch of starfish and a few interesting fish and sea worms or snakes.

We had two minor snafus during our stay - one with the safe battery and one with the fire alarm battery - and the staff were extremely fast and attentive to fixing both immediately.

All-in-all it was an incredible honeymoon and Spice Island did everything they could to make it that much better. We'd visit again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Maca Bana
#1 of 8 in St. George's
26.4 km away
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & Restaurant Grenada
Petite Anse Beachfront Hotel & R...
#1 of 1 in Saint Patrick Parish
0.4 km away
Mount Cinnamon Resort & Beach Club
0.9 km away
Radisson Grenada Beach Resort

Been to Spice Island Beach Resort? Share your experiences!