“I attended a sail course”
Review of Sail In Asia

Sail In Asia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sail In Asia is International Yacht Training (IYT)'s premier sailing school in Asia and is located in the beautiful and unspoilt Ao Yon Bay. We specialise in recreational sailing courses, with our 14-day Zero-to-Hero course by far our most popular which covers 4 internationally recognised certifications and enables graduates to charter in most countries. We offer many shorter courses that cater for all. Many of our students continue with their sailing career across the globe after learning with us! Our fleet means we take people on trips to islands with a choice from our trimaran (6-8 passengers; good for families), our 36ft racing yachts (5-7; good for adults), or our 26ft sports yachts (2-4; good fun). Send us an email or come and chat to us to find out which is best for you! As the only IYT school in Asia able to train instructors you can rely on us to provide you with excellent skippers who can do it all or teach you as you sail around our beautiful islands. Check out our website.
Reviewed April 5, 2018

Very well organised sail school with a lot of expertise. The course was very well structured and had a good mixture between the class room and practice on the water. If you want to learn sailing or if you want to take and advanced course I can highly recommend Sail in Asia.

SailinAsia, General Manager at Sail In Asia, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2018

Thanks a lot! Goodluck with all your sailing to come. You are welcome to come back anytime to go for a sail, was great having you here!

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"ash"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed March 2, 2018

I did the Zero to hero course at sail in asia past june and learned a lot. Ash my instructor was very knowledgeable and I learned loads during the times with him on the boat and in the classroom. Now I still sail with sail in asia regularly to get more experience on the water. The team is very friendly and welcoming I can recommend this school.

1  Thank Carlo D

Cheers Carlo! Been a pleasure having you here, always welcome to come back for a sail! It has been good fun having you here! Goodluck with everything!

Reviewed February 20, 2018

The team at Sail in Asia is amazing! I spent 14 days learning to sail with these guys and feel ready to take on the world! I went from basically knowing nothing to being able to set up and command a boat on my own. The instructors are extremely knowledgeable and come from very different backgrounds. You'll learn a lot and have great conversations along the way. Take the course, get the license, you won't regret it!

2  Thank ChrisS6185
SailinAsia, Manager at Sail In Asia, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2018

Thanks Chris! It was a pleasure having you on our Zero to Hero course! Wish you good luck with your next journey! You are always welcome to come back! Thanks, from the SIA Team.

Reviewed December 30, 2017

I've been wanting to learn to sail well for years and am interested in buying my own boat. This December I decided to take 2 weeks to learn how to sail from professional instructors. Mike Downard is the owner of Sail in Asia. He's an affable and patient man who clearly loves his job, his boats, and his team. As a former school teacher, who left that career behind to sail around the world and eventually open up his own school (many moons ago), he is extremely good at conveying concepts and providing his students with pragmatic and experiential learning. I found his style to be well suited to my fast-paced and impatient lifestyle as a Type A lawyer.

Over the past two weeks, I had the opportunity to sail a variety of boats and gain the confidence to take them out on the water without instructors. I came in thinking that sailing would be easy, but there is much skill involved and the instructors (Ash, Bert, James, Thomas, and Roberto) all provided great hands-on training. Not all of this class is on the water, but the instructors made sure to balance classroom training and tests with water training. My "class" over the 14 days included one other student (who has become a friend). The intimate training ensured that I had the requisite amount of time on the water and "skippering." Most importantly, this was a very very fun experience.

In terms of practical steps, Jum, the office manager helped me get an apartment a block from the beach and school. She also arranged for transport and got me a scooter during my stay. The logistics were simple. The location is close to Chalong and Phuket town, but definitely sleepier. I liked it because it was away from throngs of "bad" tourists and very serene. Nothing like being on a beach by yourself.

I would highly recommend it to all my friends and feel like you can't go wrong with this outfit. The Sail in Asia team also caters to all needs from just day chartering of it's boats to organizing regattas, to custom trainings on your own boat. I plan to keep these guys on my resource list when I get my first boat in the next few months. Thanks Mike! It was a memorable way to cap off my year.

Some tips I thought I would share:
1) Stay protected from sun. I was hoping to look cool and get a tan. I got majorly burned the first day. Bring a couple long sleeve dry fit shirts to cover up and a big floppy hat. You are here to sail not look good. The tops of my feet even got sun burned
2) Use the apartments near the Sailing School. It will save you tons of travel time.
3) Bring a water bottle and reuse it. Save the environment and don't rely on bottled water, they have a fresh water tank at the school to refill.
4) Talk to the instructors about their sailing experience and past lives. They are all very colorful and inspiring. They are former military officers, lawyers, teachers, business people who found more meaning in something different in a beautiful location.
5) Learn to drive a scooter (safely). It is a great way to get around and explore Phuket.
6) I'm a big rock climber and Phuket Town has this great bouldering gym (Art C). Go there for workouts.
7) I also swim a bunch so get yourself a pair of waterproof headphones and audio players and get your miles in at the bay. There is little current and a great stretch to swim.
8) Eat local, fresh, thai fruit everyday for lunch. The landlord owns of my place (Maria) owns the local coffee shop Khao Khad Coffee. She was able to source all my favorite fruits for me at the local prices. Jackfruit (Khanoon), Snake Fruit (Sala), Sapodilla (La-Mut), Custard Apple (Noi-Na), Rambutan (NgoR), and bananas.

2  Thank Christopher C
Michael D, Owner at Sail In Asia, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

Thank you for the comprehensive (and kind) review...please come again!