“Entire evening ruined at Pat's Place”
Review of Oistins

Oistins
Ranked #6 of 26 Restaurants in Oistins
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2018

So I paid a visit to the ever-popular Pat's Place tonight. This was my 3rd visit to this establishment and likely to be my last after my most recent experience.

To start things off, we ordered our food (mine being sword fish, rice and peas, grilled potatoes and toss salad) and after sitting to dig in I noticed that the "tartar" sauce was a scoop of plain mayo with something like chopped onion in it. so I thought to myself " hmmm, maybe the young man gave me the wrong condiment by mistake." I got up and went to enquire about this "tartar" sauce. when I asked if they had tartar sauce the attendant, in the rawest bajan accent she could find replied, "wa dah is some in you hand".(translates to; "well that's some in your hand.") "NO! i said, "this is plain mayo". to which she replied, "so wa you think tartar mek out of?" (this translates to, "why, what do you think its made of?")

Shaking my head in disgust and pity,Ii decided to let it go and do without the tartar sauce because they didn't have anyways so what's the sense? I returned to my table where my wife and I were seated to start eating. Halfway through my meal,I bit into a piece of grilled potato and later a piece of grilled swordfish that tasted really really off. (kinda like left off the fridge too long kinda taste)

So, with meal container in hand, I made my way once again to the order window. (same attendant as my luck would have it) "something wrong wid de food?" (means; "is there a problem with the meal?) "well yes", I replied. "the meal was good up to this point but there's a problem with the potato and the fish and I'm afraid I won't be using any more of it." I was in total shock when this lady, stripped of all couth, responded, "so wait! you get and eat off half de food and now telling me that sain wrong wid it?" (which was really uncalled for) She proceeded to take the container from me to show whom I suppose was the proprietor of the establishment, before handing it to another staff member for disposal.

Now get this, when she took the container from me it contained rice and peas, salad, the said potatoes and fish. She later came back to me with a container half the size of the original one with just the 2 pieces of potato and 1 piece of fish, and refusing to replace rice and peas and salad which were also in the container that I returned to her when I had the complaint. Now I didn't mind the fish and potato so much, or the remainder of my meal that she neglected to replace. My issue was this lady's attitude towards a paying customer. At that point I had to remind myself that I was the ambassador of a certain city so as to not misbehave myself in public. But I was totally pissed. I firmly believe that customer service aught to be enforced when you are fortunate enough to be employed in the service industry. At any given moment you could be serving from diplomats to prime ministers of caricom or other nations and this behaviour is simply not acceptable. Better could have been done, by far.

I do truly hope that the management of Pat's Place would pay close and keen attention to the level of professionalism exhibited by it's employees so as to minimize or totally avoid poor customer service. It was truly poor!

2  Thank Romel I
Write a ReviewReviews (1,004)

Reviewed June 16, 2018 via mobile

We went here on two occasions both times were exceptionally good both food wise and entertainment wise. The fish fry at Uncle Georges has a good reputation so we tried it and was not disappointed Friday nights are the best it seems like all of Barbados make a beeline for it.All in all great night to meet locals and meet up with holiday makers from all four corners of the world and make some friends. I would recommend the swordfish and lobster both reasonably priced washed down with banks beer or local rum punch watch the punch tho it sneeks up on you.

1  Thank willo1951
Reviewed June 14, 2018

If your in Barbados on friday night you have to get to the fish fry. Great food, great atmosphere, lot of fun hanging out with the locals. Best of all it won’t break the bank.

1  Thank Tina S
Reviewed June 9, 2018

Always the highlight when we take family visitors there. Parking good, even on Fridays.
Some are open every day, others only on thursday, friday & saturday.
Atmosphere is great.
I recommend chillin & grillin

2  Thank simon b
Reviewed May 29, 2018

This is busy, noisy and the food is generally fairly average. This is a popular Friday night location, but as it has become so popular, standards have fallen away. The aims seems to get you in and fed as quickly as possible, so that the next group of cutovers can be served. We arrived early and parked 150 metres away in the supermarket car park and walked in. I had mixed platter with fish. Tastes were Ok, but no better. Service was fast.

Date of visit: May 2018