Barbados has always had the reputation for being for the rich and famous, not so, thanks to Virgin Atlantic. This is the second time we have been, and manage to get great deals.
The first time we stayed in the Halcyon, we found the apartments large but rather dated, I suppose the price we paid we could not complain, it suited us. The kitchen area was big enough for us to cook, and clean.
Maid service was almost daily, with fresh bedding and towels.
However, the second time we went, we found the Halcyon to be more tatty and in need of a fresh lick of paint, the pool area was in very bad neglect, with broken loungers which were black!
The towels grubby, and the bathroom grouting in need of a good clean.
We were told they are going to get an overall in April of next year, which we hope they do, as these are good solid roomy apartments, and affordable.
The Halcyon is situated among pretty houses and villas, and it's like you are living with the locals.
It's very quiet and peacful, not suitable if you like to party! And if you are up early enough, you get to see the monkeys over the road.
You cannot fault the staff, and the warm reception they welcome you with, nothing is too much trouble.
This year, because Barbados is so expensive, we stayed in more and cooked for ourselves which saved us a lot of money, we bought local goods which is cheaper, as the main brands are imported and ridiculously pricey. The apartments have a proper sized oven which abled us to do proper meals, and not like the two ringed hob you get in Europe.
Air con was about £100 for the fortnight, which is needed, and it was lovely to go to bed at night and be able to sleep, it is not noisy, but a gentle humming.
The safe cost approx £20 for the fortnight. We hired a car for a week direct from Wendy in reception and not through Virgin, which cost £200. Barbados is a beautiful island, and a car is a must to explore, and visit more beaches.
The beach from the Halcyon is about a 20 minute walk away (surfside) which we did not mind, as the exercise helped with the excess food and alcohol :)
Shops and restuarants are also 20 minutes away, with 'Just Grillin' being affordable with lovely food.
Catch the Reggae bus into Bridgetown which is an experience in it's self.
What we like about Barbados is, that it is very safe to walk around even at night, although I take a torch to walk back to the Halcyon, the people are one of the friendliest I have met and go out of their way to help you.
We found this year, that you can have unlimited internet connection from reception for about £25 for the fortnight.
We are booking to go again next year, and just hope that the Halcyon gets the promised lick of paint it so desperately needs. It would be a shame if Virgin pulled it's contract out of the Palms resort, as it is affordable for people like us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Halcyon Palms is an intimate collection of 25 One Bedroom units located in the heart of the West Coast. We offer an affordable option for those wanting to experience the famous platinum coast at an affordable rate.Sister hotel to Travellers Palm we can accomodate families, groups or private getaway for couples. Short stroll away from Travellers Palm. Beautiful poolside view from all rooms. An excellent locstion for that deserved restful unforgettable holiday at this charming intimate resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity.ca, Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Halcyon Palm reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halcyon Palm Hotel Sunset Crest
- Halcyon Palm Barbados/Sunset Crest