See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I will also place this review under the other name listed here in Tripadvisor: "La Fornaccina". Pictures are included!
I do not know where to begin so let me start with the positive since there is only 1- the views....finito!
The house is listed as a rustic farmhouse with ALL the amenities of a hotel. Let me begin by stating there is a BIG difference between rustic and filthy...and that is what this place was. EXTREMELY DIRTY! We rented the entire house for a week to spend family time together as we were a large group (12). Inside the house is 3 bedrooms with 3 baths- the dirt, dust and dilapidated furniture was shocking! We were in so much shock- we were speechless! Outside the house were the two other rooms- one worse than the other. 1 outside room is actually a loft with the mattress on the floor- it is a steep climb up some ladder style stairs. The shower and toilet are together...see pictures. NO where on her website does she state there are stair/steps in every room- even to the bathrooms within the rooms- not for the elderly or handicapped.
The only restroom not in a bedroom is in the kitchen! You do NOT want to open that door- it was filthy, dark and disgusting! There were large snails stuck in the door hinges!
I cannot complain about the IMMENSE spiders and centipedes crawling in the beds because it is a country house, but just be forewarned.
There was hair in the bathroom which was not ours- we had just arrived. There was NO room in the entire house that did not have something wrong. A tile table near a fireplace has every tile broken (unusable as someone will get cut), all the seat cushions on any piece if furniture is dirty, stained or torn, the night tables in the wicker room are broken, they ingeniously flipped one drawer of the nightstand upside down to make it a "table", they hide mold behind the walls with a curtain, there were pots with food still in them, the espresso maker had a broken handle (burn hazard), the refrigerator drawers broken (unusable). The mattresses are so old the springs poke at you! The knob to the fan in our room was broken, but when we told the owner she said it wasn't. Oh ya, they fixed it by placing a wood dowel on it?!! Still didn't work well- it was HOT in the wicker room! The fireplace in the room upstairs was so filthy (its summer, hadn't been used) the spiders were having competitions setting up webs. Spiderwebs with dust/dirt on our canopy bed.
We would have left immediately upon arrival but where do you move 12 people so quickly?! We planned months for this trip! Also, Layla, the owner, charged for the entire week up front! My mother-in-law, who paid, was afraid to loose all her money.
Upon arrival you are greeted by several cats (had two in the group with allergies) so we were told to keep the doors to the house closed or the cat will enter- since it is summer and it was warm, keeping the door closed killed our only airflow- no fans in house except in bedrooms and no A/C in entire house. We left the windows open to try to catch a breeze but it was useless. Also at night you hear a loud booming noise every hour- I know because I couldn't sleep from the uncomfortable mattress, the heat, the dust allergies, etc. I believe the booming noise (sounds like a gunshot) is an automated machine to scare the birds from the vineyards???
To put the icing on the cake I got bit by their dog (Maremma sheppard), also, Dachshunds on the property. We were asked to not go near the white gate of front house (where the property owner lives) as the dogs are "protective". The problem was the dogs kept coming to OUR rental house! On our 2nd day there, I went for a walk OFF the property with others from our group when as we were almost in the street (not on owners property and opposite the white gate) and their large white (Maremma Sheepdog) dog bit me on the butt! The owner asked us to "trust" her and she would take care of the dogs and tie them up. Well not 24 hours later when the Maremma sheepdog came to the rental AGAIN and almost attacked my sister in law having breakfast outside. THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW!!!!
We spent the next several hours on the internet looking for a place to move 12 people while the rest of us packed up. The owners are lucky I did not file a police report against the dog bite or sue them!
The owner refunded partial payment (the remainder of the days). What a horrible experience! We felt completely ripped off and deceived as this place is nothing like the video and pictures on the website. The pictures must be from when she opened the place 20 years ago. Definitely in need of a MAJOR overhaul!!

Room tip: Noting good about this place. There were problems in every room.
Date of stay: July 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank kc2828
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We’ve spent 3 days (weekend) at La Fornacina in July 2011. We were traveling thru Tuscany and Veneto for 2 weeks and we were looking for a peaceful and quiet place to spend a weekend far away from the crowded Florence and Venice. We couldn’t choose a better place. I loved our room and the dining and leaving space of the country house. We immediately felt home there, although at the time we were the only not Italian guests. Not only the owners but also the other guests were really nice and friendly. Dining together was a wonderful experience. I will definitely come back to La Formacina with group of friends.

Date of stay: November 2011
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We have just spent three perfect days at la Fornacina (February 24 to 27) and we are quite puzzled by the previous review. Are we talking about the same place? The owner of the place gave us a very nice welcome, we had asked for a vegetarian dinner and we did get indeed a delicious variety of vegetable dishes. Our room was warm and cozy, the breakfast absolutely fine. We are definitely planning to go back to la Fornacina and enjoy the lovely atmosphere, the silence of the surrounding area and the hospitality of the people there.

Date of stay: February 2012
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have been at La Fornacina yesterday with my wife and 2 kids (3yo and 5 month baby).
We planned to stay 2 or 3 days but we left after one night.
There were no custumer for the time we arrived and the owner showed us a room, but in a while she changed her mind for a different room.
The dinner was below any tuscanian standard in terms of quantity and quality.
We have been squezzed in a room with 2 additional single bed for the kids. The temperature was quite low, but I was confident that during the evening the place could warm up...big mistake...the stone walls are so cold that is like to be in a fridge and the water pumped into the radiator was noisy and not sufficient to increase the temperature. In addition, they turn it off around midnight so, we letteraly freezed during the night....I keept my kids with us in the big bed trying to warm them, but one was starting coughting and the other sneezing.
Breakfast was found on the table, but none was giving us attention.
The place was...desert.
I left my reference for the invoice on a paper sheet and runaway with the family looking for some heat in the car...

Date of stay: February 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2011

If you wish to travel "far from the madding crowd" and feel at home at the same time, you definitely need to visit this splendid and charming place.......and once you have been there............it'll be impossible to forget it............... I have been there several times with my husband but will certainly be back as soon as possible.

Date of stay: March 2011