See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 23, 2016

I spent 6 nights at La Fornacina Country House with my 13yo daughter, end of June/beginning of July. We were fortunate to have 1 room on the main floor. The overall experience was amazing and I have to applaud Layla, our wonderful hostess/owner. She went out of her way to show us towns, treat us like family and make our stay extremely welcoming. I swam daily in the pool which was a treat for me. Having a car is a MUST as the location of this country house is quite a distance from the surrounding towns. Being close to the thermal baths was a big bonus and we took advantage and went daily! A great place for family reunions or a romantic interlude for a week hidden away in a location that is not overwhelmed by tourists.

Date of stay: June 2016
1  Thank chienchaud
layla g, Proprietario at La Fornacina Country House, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2016

Wendi thanks for the kind words that you gave to my house, you were a wonderful host with your beautiful daughter. I hope to have you our guest again in the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2014

I spent a week at the house this summer (2014), together with my family, parents and siblings with kids and spouses, all in all 15 people. It is an old house, with all those litte features that old houses tend to display, some creaky stairs, a few cracks in the floor tiles and some other things that you wont find in a modern hotel. It's a very peacful and secluded place, with a distinct feeling of the beautiful Tuscan countryside and that was just what we were after. It is not the place to go if you expect luxurious hotel standards, state of the art technology and close proximity to the Mediterranean and/or a major city, but again, that was not what we were looking for.

The owner of the house, Layla, who lives in a smaller house on the property, was very nice and service-minded and helped us out with recommendations on excursions in the area and to Rome, as well as where we could get a bite to eat. On the day of our arrival, we got lost and very late due to some poor navigation (never completely trust in GPS, it won't always tell you if a road is closed) and got there in the middle of the night. I don't know how she did it, but she managed to get someone to bake and deliver pizzas to the house right there and then, which is very impressive considering that the house is nowhere near a major town or city. Since we'd been driving for three days through Europe, that alone was a real life-saver.

Expect a somewhat rustic country house with a feeling of the real Tuscan countryside and you will get exactly what you want, as we did. Expect a top-modern hotel with all the luxuries of an all-inclusive major resort and you will be disappointed. For a large family looking to spend some time together during our holiday, it was just perfect. The kids were playing in the pool all day and could be easily watched, we went on some excursions to the sea, to Rome and to other sights in the area, but mainly we just relaxed in the beautiful environment.

I noticed some poor reviews for the house here on the site and just have to say that our experience was completely different. But then again, we knew what we were looking for.

I'll give the house a 4 out of 5. Can't give it a 5 since there were a couple of things that I had wished for, like better wi-fi coverage in my bedroom or a supermarket or a pub within walking distance, but that was not something that I really expected.

We'd definitely consider going back there again in the future!

1  Thank Mathias C
layla g, Proprietario at La Fornacina Country House, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2014

Dear Mathias, was a pleasure to have you as our guests, your beautiful parents were very good at forming a family like yours. Offer a pizza in the middle of the night is part of the magic of Fornacina. I know you will come back, and I'll be happy to see you again.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I planned for this trip several months in advance and I did plenty of research before choosing this house, by the way I'm Italian living in the US now for a few years. I travel a lot around the world for business, so I'm not new to this. What the photos and video shows on their website is not even close to what we got as we arrived to "la Fornacina". I know about spiders, insects, wild animals, etc, etc, because I live in a rural area in Texas, so we know about huge insects and spiders, (please, everything is BIG in Texas) but one thing is nature and the other is filth. There is no reason not to take good care of the inside and outside of the property and offer what you are preaching in your website and other travel sites. My family owns a "cascina" in the north of Italy (farm house) and the last time it was remodeled was at least 15 years ago, and is 10,000 times in better conditions of this "country" house.
They charge you 100 euros for cleaning and I don't really know what they do with those 100 euros, but cleaning is the last thing they do.
Even the patio which is the most beautiful asset of this house is not taken care of. You really only need a blower and a mower to keep the premises clean.
Room and furniture extremely outdated and in conditions that you could not even give it away to the salvation army, No AC, no TV, no ventilators in good condition, bad WiFi, cats that want to come inside the house, so you have to keep the doors closed, all of them; dogs roaming around and one of them not friendly at all so you have to be on the look out when you are outdoors. Shower curtains broken and full of mold; shower heads broken so you have to hold it in your hand to take a shower. Toilets you need to pump to flush it; toilets inside the shower (first time in my life I see something like this, and I've been in pretty weird places).
In conclusion un vero disastro (a disaster). I could go hours talking about this experience, but I really just want to warn you if you are considering this place for your next vacations. If you're looking for an adventure and excitement and you are coming from the city, this might be the place for you' but rest assure this is far from been a "villa", "villetta", "country house" or even "cascina". Consider it like going on camping!!
I personally feel robbed and ingannato!!! (cheated)!!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

I will also place this review under the other name listed here in Tripadvisor: "La Fornaccina". Pictures are included!
I do not know where to begin so let me start with the positive since there is only 1- the views....finito!
The house is listed as a rustic farmhouse with ALL the amenities of a hotel. Let me begin by stating there is a BIG difference between rustic and filthy...and that is what this place was. EXTREMELY DIRTY! We rented the entire house for a week to spend family time together as we were a large group (12). Inside the house is 3 bedrooms with 3 baths- the dirt, dust and dilapidated furniture was shocking! We were in so much shock- we were speechless! Outside the house were the two other rooms- one worse than the other. 1 outside room is actually a loft with the mattress on the floor- it is a steep climb up some ladder style stairs. The shower and toilet are together...see pictures. NO where on her website does she state there are stair/steps in every room- even to the bathrooms within the rooms- not for the elderly or handicapped.
The only restroom not in a bedroom is in the kitchen! You do NOT want to open that door- it was filthy, dark and disgusting! There were large snails stuck in the door hinges!
I cannot complain about the IMMENSE spiders and centipedes crawling in the beds because it is a country house, but just be forewarned.
There was hair in the bathroom which was not ours- we had just arrived. There was NO room in the entire house that did not have something wrong. A tile table near a fireplace has every tile broken (unusable as someone will get cut), all the seat cushions on any piece if furniture is dirty, stained or torn, the night tables in the wicker room are broken, they ingeniously flipped one drawer of the nightstand upside down to make it a "table", they hide mold behind the walls with a curtain, there were pots with food still in them, the espresso maker had a broken handle (burn hazard), the refrigerator drawers broken (unusable). The mattresses are so old the springs poke at you! The knob to the fan in our room was broken, but when we told the owner she said it wasn't. Oh ya, they fixed it by placing a wood dowel on it?!! Still didn't work well- it was HOT in the wicker room! The fireplace in the room upstairs was so filthy (its summer, hadn't been used) the spiders were having competitions setting up webs. Spiderwebs with dust/dirt on our canopy bed.
We would have left immediately upon arrival but where do you move 12 people so quickly?! We planned months for this trip! Also, Layla, the owner, charged for the entire week up front! My mother-in-law, who paid, was afraid to loose all her money.
Upon arrival you are greeted by several cats (had two in the group with allergies) so we were told to keep the doors to the house closed or the cat will enter- since it is summer and it was warm, keeping the door closed killed our only airflow- no fans in house except in bedrooms and no A/C in entire house. We left the windows open to try to catch a breeze but it was useless. Also at night you hear a loud booming noise every hour- I know because I couldn't sleep from the uncomfortable mattress, the heat, the dust allergies, etc. I believe the booming noise (sounds like a gunshot) is an automated machine to scare the birds from the vineyards???
To put the icing on the cake I got bit by their dog (Maremma sheppard), also, Dachshunds on the property. We were asked to not go near the white gate of front house (where the property owner lives) as the dogs are "protective". The problem was the dogs kept coming to OUR rental house! On our 2nd day there, I went for a walk OFF the property with others from our group when as we were almost in the street (not on owners property and opposite the white gate) and their large white (Maremma Sheepdog) dog bit me on the butt! The owner asked us to "trust" her and she would take care of the dogs and tie them up. Well not 24 hours later when the Maremma sheepdog came to the rental AGAIN and almost attacked my sister in law having breakfast outside. THAT WAS THE LAST STRAW!!!!
We spent the next several hours on the internet looking for a place to move 12 people while the rest of us packed up. The owners are lucky I did not file a police report against the dog bite or sue them!
The owner refunded partial payment (the remainder of the days). What a horrible experience! We felt completely ripped off and deceived as this place is nothing like the video and pictures on the website. The pictures must be from when she opened the place 20 years ago. Definitely in need of a MAJOR overhaul!!

Room tip: Noting good about this place. There were problems in every room.
2  Thank kc2828
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We’ve spent 3 days (weekend) at La Fornacina in July 2011. We were traveling thru Tuscany and Veneto for 2 weeks and we were looking for a peaceful and quiet place to spend a weekend far away from the crowded Florence and Venice. We couldn’t choose a better place. I loved our room and the dining and leaving space of the country house. We immediately felt home there, although at the time we were the only not Italian guests. Not only the owners but also the other guests were really nice and friendly. Dining together was a wonderful experience. I will definitely come back to La Formacina with group of friends.

Date of stay: November 2011