Cocobay Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
COCOS Hotel Antigua(Jolly Harbour)
Tamarind Hills(Saint Mary's)
  • Breakfast included
Sugar Ridge Resort(Jolly Harbour)
  • Beachfront
Hermitage Bay(Saint Mary's)
  • Breakfast included
Curtain Bluff Resort(Saint Mary's)
2,443 results
All reviewscoco baythe cottagesplunge poolmr gorewaterfront suitelower poolbreakfast and lunchrum punchsheer rocksdeluxe cottageour honeymoonpaninislobstersea viewplantation housemosquito netbuffet style
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We travelled as a group of 7 family and friends for our wedding at the resort. After 14 months of planning, scouring reviews and sending numerous emails to the deputy manager/wedding planner, Tameka, I can honestly say that Cocobay lived up to all our high hopes!
Everything was perfect on our wedding day (despite a little rain) and the friendly staff and beautiful location made it all so special.
The cottages are quaint, spacious and clean with picturesque views (we had sea view ).
Menu varies, always 3 options plus 3 standard at a supplemental cost.
Bar staff were friendly and happy to make cocktails until 11pm when bar closes.
Cabs are easy to arrange through reception and going 'off reservation' isn't a problem.
All in all, an amazing and quiet resort (no 'kids' under 12 is a huge bonus) with great facilities!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank AshBush
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We did a tremendous amount of homework going into this vacation and choosing this resort in particular. Our primary interest was to get a weeks worth of serious down time and we most certainly got what we were after!

Not sure there is a need to repeat what many others have said that is good about Cocobay but there are a few things that I think we came with that need mentioning:

1. The resort is as advertised regarding the quality of the experience. You should not be disappointed if you do your homework and understand what this resort really offers.

2. The staff is in fact exceptional starting with the manager O'Neal who handled an overbooking situation on our arrival with the utmost professionalism, courtesy and generousity. Very friendly and courteous staff top to bottom!

3. Most surprising was the quality of the food. We are not big travelers or gourmet cooks by any account but we can say each of the meals were unique, interesting, healthy and all with great presentation. Breakfast probably the most tradtional, but lunch and particularly dinner had very much a local Caribbean flavor.

4. Having had the experience of a room on the hill our first night and then moving to the ocean front room with pool for the rest of our stay I think it is fair to say there probably aren't any "bad rooms" in the resort. The views in all directions are spectacular. Never used the AC and the ceiling fan was perfect for comfort.

5. The beach and the views are all what you see in all the photos on this site and the Cocobay site with the weather being consistently warm and sunny. Truely a slice of paradise!

6. I read a lot about bugs in my pre-trip homework. Not sure if February is the off season for bugs but I came away without a bite and my sweetheart with only a few. We came "loaded for bear" with some serious bug sprays but they never came out of the bag. The staff tells us the bugs are there so travel prepared.

7. We are pleasantly surprised by the cost of items we did buy at the resort. Not what we would consider at all expensive.(Water/gifts)

8. We aren't big drinkers but what we had was very good and the bar staff was very personable. Nice having one of the staff drift down the beach with a tray of refreshments a couple of times a day.

9. The new pool is beautiful, nicely located next to the beach and has a bar.

10. The dinner on the beach where I proposed to my sweetheart of ten years was elegant and couldn't have been any more romantic......"Thank you O'Neal and our hostess Ronella!!!"

11. I need to say that the locals on the beach who offered jet ski, horse back riding and other activities really did add to the great experience of staying at this resort. Good folks who aimed to please and priced reasonably.

Lastly, this was my first trip to the Caribbean and was not totally sure of what to expect, but I can say we found both the resort and locals we encountered to be very "American friendly" and accomodating. The value was excellent and the resort truely did exceed our expectations!

Room Tip: Ocean front with the pool is nice, but it looks like all rooms have a great view.
3  Thank TBHGloucesterMA
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This resort is a visual goldmine. For the week that my wife and I were at Cocobay Resort, we never got tired of the views.

Our cottage was on the second tier -not right on the beach, but our ocean view was fantastic. Awakening to the Caribbean Sea is quite a treat. The way this resort is a laid out is a stroke of architectural and landscape genius.

This place is quiet other than the ocean waves and the sounds of nature. That's the way we like it. By the smiles of other guests we encountered daily, I think everyone was really into the ambiance, great service and terrific food. I can't remember a time when we've met so many good natured people. The friendliness of the staff seemed to rub off on the guests.

This was the healthiest we've ever eaten on a trip. The omelettes in the morning, the chicken and fish dishes at lunch, and the tremendous ala carte menu for dinner.

The infinity pools were great, but we preferred the awesome Little Ffreyes beach. There were a couple of days when the water was the most beautiful shade of blue. Cocobay has really thought of everything for a great Caribbean vacation.

Room Tip: Choose a seaview room. It is worth the price and a definite value.
5  Thank timbuck2
Reviewed 13 February 2012

We have just returned from 5 nights at Cocobay. The setting is absolutely stunning -- you can watch the sun set from their new-ish infinity pool. The resort is quiet, very laid back and isolated, which is fine if you’re looking to just plant yourself in a chaise lounge and fry. The resort is a $US20 taxi ride to St. John’s (not much going on there) or $US40 to English Harbor (Nelson Dockyards) which is well worth seeing. We ditched the taxis and took the bus, $US1.50 each way.

We found the cabins quaint, but the place needs a refresh as it’s a bit tired. Most of our shower water drained out over the balcony. I also pinched the bottom of my feet walking across the plank flooring as the boards flex a bit. Not a big deal, but not 4-star either.

The resort is “all inclusive” but much of their dinner menu items are offered at a surcharge: average $US13 for a starter and $US23 for the mains. Bar (wine) selections are also quite limited. The sandwiches at the pool bar were exceptional. The dinners were quite good (some talent in that kitchen!) my only wish is that entrees made it to the table hot. Vincia makes a wonderful Piña Colada!

Service was efficient, but not all that friendly. I found the housekeeping staff to be more welcoming than many servers in the dining room. The Sunset Pool Bar staff (Vincia) and the front desk (Melissa, et al.) were friendly and service driven, although some important things fell through the cracks. On our departure day our 6:00 AM wake-up call never came (thankfully I set the alarm on my BlackBerry) and our arranged taxi didn’t show up …we made our flight thanks to Conrad, the grounds keeper, who came to our rescue driving us to the airport in his personal vehicle.

In conclusion it was nice, but I’ve been to a lot of very nice and wouldn’t rush back here or Antigua for that matter.

Room Tip: Cabins with sunset view are warmer and don't benefit from the breeze
3  Thank John S
CocobayGM, General Manager at Cocobay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Thank you for sharing a review of your recent Cocobay visit. We are truly sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations and your constructive criticisms were welcomed.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for not making your departure as efficient as it should have been. It is normally a well organized and timely arranged process but somehow we disappointed you. We sincerely regret that this occurred.

We however, hope that you will consider visiting again sometime in the future.

O'Neal
Resort Manager

Reviewed 10 February 2012

We are just back from 5 nights at Cocobay. We enjoyed every minute! The location is beautiful and the resort is quiet and laid back, which was exactly what we were looking for. The staff are wonderful. Melissa, the Concierge, was great. She seems to always have a handle on everything! Cicily made us feel like family! She is so genuine and sweet. O'Neal, the manager, was always available, though we certainly didn't have a single issue. Our room was gorgeous, romantic and clean. We had an ocean front room. Which I would recommend. Even if the plunge pool is a bit cool, which didn't stop my fiance from using it daily, the view is totally worth it. We enjoyed the food very much. Sonia, who cooks at breakfast and lunch is terrific and just a delight. The drinks were very tasty.
It is not a 5 star resort. It isn't meant to be. It's like a boutique hotel. It's quiet and quaint. I'll take it over a "Sandels" anytime! The folks at "Sandels" wouldn't have known my name and most of the staff at this resort made it a point to know it.
Now...for the bugs. There are bugs. Not in the cottage, of course. But, I was bitten a fair amount. My fiance, not at all. (I must be sweeter than he!) I wore no perfume, unscented sunscreen and bug spray. None of it seemed to deter them. And a little hint, none of the topical treatments seemed to help. Benedryl, orally, is the only thing that stops the itch. Luckly, it's very effective. I get bitten all the time in the summer at our house on the Chesapeake Bay, as well. Anytime you have water, warmth, and woods, you will have bugs. Cocobay sprayed while we were there. There is only so much they can do. It's worth it.
We will be heading back to there ASAP!

Room Tip: The oceanfront cottage is amazing!
5  Thank kab2828