I stayed here in August for my Honeymoon. As you can imagine, we were were hoping for a lovely romantic relaxing break in a wonderful setting. Stonehaven Villas surpassed every expectation. The website pictures are gorgeous but don't do justice to its beautiful grounds and wonderfully spacious accommodation. In addition, our Villa had views across to the ocean and every sunset for the 10 days we were there was spectacular.
We were greeted by Charmaine and given a lovely cocktail as a welcome drink and taken up to our villa. We were shown around, given the chance to ask questions and then left to get used to our luxurious surroundings. The whole villa felt like a real home and whilst the distance between villas is quite small, thoughtful landscaping ensures that you are not really overlooked and have a lot of privacy.
There were three bedrooms with excellent air conditioning, large comfortable beds and en-suite shower rooms which were lovely and roomy. The standard was more like a very well equipped house rather than a 5* hotel and, in my opinion, better for it. The whole complex is designed to help you relax and feel like you're at home - not in a shiny 5* city hotel.
The kitchen had all mod-cons and equipment and was kept well cleaned by Earla who was our excellent housekeeper for the duration of our visit. Each villa has a housekeeper allocated for your entire stay who cleans and tidies and does odd maintenance jobs around the villa and, by arrangement, they will cook you traditional food for a small fee - you must take up this offer - the meal she cooked us was one of the best we had on the island.
The verandah was wonderful - we had a barbeque to use as we wished and our own private infinity pool and the whole area was kept immaculately clean - pools were serviced regularly and gardeners were a frequent sight around the complex.
The on-site restaurant was delicious. A few reviews have claimed it to be expensive but my husband and I didn't find it so. We had cocktails, a bottle of wine, 3 courses of EXCELLENT food (lobster thermidor, seared tuna, seafood pancakes and more) and coffee and including service we paid around £70.00 - I've often spent more than this at inferior chain restaurants here in London. We also ate lunch there one day which was as grill type menu and extremely tasty.
The island itself was utterly stunning. There were plenty of reasonably priced tours, extremely pleasant tour guides, and amazing food to be had at every corner. Do not leave the island without trying crab and dumpling at Store Bay, shark 'n' bake at Pigeon Point and doubles if you can find them - our tour guide took us to see a lady who was selling them from the trunk of her car!
We were worried before we went out potentially being the target of crime but we saw and heard of no issues whilst we were there. However, The Villas were extremely secure with 24 hour security guards at the gate and clever landscaping to make it nearly impossible to gain access without your knowledge.
I would advise you not to attempt to change your money at the hotel - they charge very high commission - there is an ATM nearby and taxis will be happy to stop for you. Taxis were all we used to get around the island and we found this quite economical and extremely convenient as well.There is ample parking if you decide to hire a car and taxis can come through the security gate and drive all the way up to your villa.
I will briefly mention the weather as I know that people are concerned about vising out of season. We went in August which is supposedly the rainy season. It rained over night most nights but only once during the day in the whole time we were there. The island was lush and beautiful and drenched in sunlight every day and the temperature didn't go below 80° the whole time we were there. I would go back in August without any hesitation.
All in all, Tobago was a magical place to visit and this was in no small part to the perfect accommodation at Stonehaven Villas - I would recommend this place to anyone - families and couples will be truly at home here. As soon as we can afford it we're going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set on a hillside with spectacular ocean views on the west coast of Tobago, The Villas at Stonehaven is one of the finest luxury resorts in the Caribbean. The resort is an exquisite collection of elegantly appointed three and four bedroom Villas set in ten acres of beautifully landscaped tropical gardens. Villa amenities include spacious indoor and outdoor living & dining areas; private infinity pool and spectacular ocean views. Your own daily personal housekeeper attends to your needs and will cook delicious meals on request. Villas are immaculately furnished and feature large air-conditioned bedrooms with en-suites, full kitchens, barbeque areas and ample dining and living space. The accommodation makes for the ideal choice for couples seeking a romantic retreat; families requiring a holiday home, or groups of friends wanting their own space and independence.By day, indulge in an in-room spa service, visit the nearby beach or explore the delights of Tobago. Evenings begin with a sun-downer complete with spectacular sunsets, to be enjoyed on your private terrace or mingling with other guests poolside at the Clubhouse bar and pool.The Pavilion Restaurant, open for lunch and dinner serves delicious Caribbean and Continental Cuisine and also offers room service.The unique setting of this luxurious boutique resort also provides an unforgettable venue for weddings, small conferences and other special events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline and Travelocity.ca so you can book your The Villas at Stonehaven reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Villas At Stonehaven Hotel Black Rock
- The Villas At Stonehaven Tobago, Trinidad And Tobago