Review Highlights
be careful with the waves

Reviewed December 22, 2016
saronic
Zurich, Switzerland
Cape vede "Cococabana"

Long nice white sand beach with colorfull fishing boats. Perfect place for kiteboarding and surfing.

Reviewed January 15, 2016
Mitja Š
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed December 22, 2016

On our first day in Mindelo we took a taxi past the airport to the Foya Branca Resort. From there we started walking on a beautiful path in the cliffs above the sea towards the lighthouse of Ponta do Farol. After about 30 minutes - with the lighthouse not being far away anymore - we had to return due to a rock slip which had blocked the already narrow path (people with vertigo might stay away from the start).

On our way back we could watch for quite some time a giant manta ray swimming on the surface of the sea. Next I felt like going for a swim. There were some waves, but not of the size, which would have inhibited me of going into the water. This was a mistake I was to regret later. I had been swimming for quite a while not too far from land, when suddenly a much bigger wave than all the previous ones built itself up next to me and tossed me around as if in a power washing machine.

First I thought that my back was broken and was worried that I could not move my legs anymore, but luckily I just felt pain and managed to reach the shore, where my wife was waiting, who had been smart enough not to test the waves. With much difficulty I managed to walk on the sand towards the village of Sao Pedro, where we had given appointment with our taxi driver.

2  Thank saronic
Reviewed June 22, 2016

I visited this beach for half a day and enjoyed it. On a Monday morning, there was nobody in sight on the whole beach. The sand is very soft and a mixture of black sand and yellow sand. The waves are quite strong, so do not recommend swimming on your own or at all if you're not a good swimmer. There is a cute little hidden beach to the far right.

2  Thank Hannah G
Reviewed January 15, 2016 via mobile

Reviewed January 14, 2016

This is mainly for relaxing BY the beach and not really for swimming. You can walk and also lay on the sand but it seems water streams (even when the sea it's relatively calm) are tricky and not the safest. If you are into surfing though this is a great spot! From here you can walk to the lighthouse which is an experience offering great views down to the sea but it's very scary at certain points if you have vertigo. You have to be very careful walking up there. We tried to do it but we returned half way as we didn't feel totally safe to continue.
I made some amazing photos at this beach especially at the golden hour and sunset moments! I would like to experience a landing of an aircraft as it really passes extremely low over the beach (runaway is just meters away). A must for an afternoon if you are staying in Mindelo. Just pop in an aluguer for Sao Pedro at Estrela square. We stayed at a hotel in Sao Pedro for two nights but it was really a long time there (and maybe unnecessary to stay at the place more than a night) as with just an afternoon you can enjoy the beach and take some photos. Sao Pedro itself is very very small city, more like a village and nothing more to do there apart from the beach.

3  Thank skybluem
Reviewed August 20, 2015

It is a long white sand beach. The sea is blue turquoise with waves that makes the swim more fun than the average swimming pool like beaches. every morning the fishermans unload the catch of the day, which is always fun to watch...one feels so close to nature!