“Yep! its paradise”

Blue Lagoon Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nacula Island
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Yes siree! This is the place. My husband and I stayed in a private lodge costing $106aud per night very clean with a king size bed and shared bathroom facilities. I checked out a garden view room they are of course heaps better but if you can't get in and can't afford that the lodges are great. They are about 30 metres from the lagoon!!!! Diving is excellent here and so is the snorkelling 10/10 the visability is at least 30 metres!!!! That's why its called Blue lagoon ahaha! Food is amazing it was the best out of our trip 5star quality well worth the $89fjd per person per day. If you decide to stay here make it more than 2 nights we have to come back because our stay was tooo short at least 4 nights for this island. I did the cave trip it was fabs and so was the village trip. NOTE take some toys, clothes and school stuff for the fijian kids they really need it!!!! They really don't have much and hardly get any support from local government. I was amazed on how poor the fijians are please help if possible. Meet some amercians they were dentist at the resort they had volunteered a couple of weeks to help the school kids with there teeth wow! A lovely lady called Macy and her husband run Blue Lagoon fantastic people to deal with nothing is a hassle for them. Highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent so don't worry if you can't afford beachfront.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Blue Lagoon Beach Resort

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Peace & tranquility was what I was looking for....and at Blue Lagoon that is just what I found!!! I stayed in a Dorm room for 3 nights & it was very very comfortable & clean. The communal bathrooms were kept exceptionally clean & with plenty of hot water. The staff were absolutely wonderful, always smiling & very helpful and always remembered your name. BL is a small resort which is truly laid back. I did like how Marcie & Gary (the Mgrs) joined different tables each night for dinner with the guests. They are wonderful people & have a wealth of knowledge in managing a resort.
The day we did the trip to the caves the weather was awful, but bouncing around in a small boat, waves coming in & horizontal rain to boot, certainly added to the adventure!! It was very much worth it. The village visit (again in the rain), was still very much worth it also. We went on a Friday & school had finished for the week, but a group of children stayed behind to do a performance for us. To hear them sing, dance and slowly lose some shyness & have some fun was something that will stay with me always. I took half a suitcase full of donations for the school. They always need things such as coloured chalk, books, paper, crayons, sports gear (balls etc) are always welcomed.
The beach is just incredible, my first time snorkelling (and on my own) I felt completely safe, and wish I had done it alot more!! You can walk either way along the beach & feel like you are on your own island, undisturbed, which is what I liked the best.
Blue Lagoon seems to have stolen a large piece of my heart and can't wait to go back there again next year :)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Deborah L
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We spent 8 nights in BLR for our first trip in Fiji. We stayed in a garden villa, which was simple but OK (2 adults, 1 child, 2 teens). A double bed and 2 single beds, a fan, an outdoor bathroom.
The meals at BLR were ok, not great but OK. You get quantity but quality varies. Can be good, sometimes so-so.
Overall we enjoyed our trip a lot, even if few things could be improved, especially the level of service.

++: very quiet, peaceful, really safe for young kids, very nice location, crystal clear water, various free activities (village trip and school visit was nice, as well as morning hike, basket weaving with adorable Teresia), snorkeling down the beach. Fijian songs at the village or at the hotel were really great.

Can be improved: service in general. You sometimes have the feeling you bother people... Not true for all the staff, but that is our final impression. Shampoo: 1 small bottle for a family of 5, for 5 days... We had to ask the office to get at least one per day. Some activities were not good value: hand fishing (20 FD per pax) was finished 30 mn after it started since one people was ill. The staff did not care about complaints of people enjoying it who did not want to leave so quickly. A lot of kids were having diner a 5:30, but ours was eating with us at 7:30. It was sometimes not easy to get her diner, and we were once or twice answered a rude way (kids are eating at 5:30, not 7:30, or asking where our kid was when finally bringing her diner [she was playing around, we did not order a kid menu just to bother you mate!]. Not something you expect from a supposed friendly staff). I would stay that some of the staff do what they want to do, at the time they want to do it, and not paying attention to what guests want. Service could be definitively improved. I share one recent review (Wiwi4) and even if the manager replied a lot of reviews are saying service is great, I'm not too picky about service, and I really think they can easily bring the level up. Also, you may pay attention to your bill when checking out. We were initially charged for more trips that we did, and had to insist to get the refund of one way Yasawa flyer, previously agreed by email.

Tip: we took the small plane from Turtle Sea Plane to fly to Yasawa and we really liked it. Only 30mn compare to the 4-5 hours of the Yasawa that is a bit long. I really recommend the plane, at least one way. The view is fantastic.

Overall we had a good stay and enjoyed Fiji. Staying in a small hotel in the Yasawa is definitively better that staying in Port Denarau. We spent 3 nights in Sofitel, that has a nice swimming pool, but that is not the real Fiji at all. It's an hotel like you can find everywhere, with a pool and a lot of sun. The beach is awful compare to what we had at the Blue Lagoon.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Annie45378
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Contrary to the Fiji islands hopping scheme, I decided to go and stay in The Blue Lagoon resort for over a week. I would like a full experience of the island culture and hopping around can be also very tiring. I researched previously to find out that this is one if not the best resort and hostel around Yasawa that is affordable, and even if not needed, I decided to write this review and point a few things.

Location/Diving:
Clean water and beautiful reefs are essential to enjoy the nest Fiji has to offer. Blue Lagoon is in Nacula island on the north of the Yasawa, really close to the world famous Turtle island. The water is pristine and the reef right in front of the hotel, has a large variety of fishes and corals soft and hard. They have a dive centre with competent and efficient dive instructors (Paulina and Graham), who are a nice and helpful couple who have been managing dive centres for a while internationally. I did my PADI certificate and was really pleased with the attention and quality of teaching given to me. Their equipment is generally in good condition and they work hard to keep it all flowing well even during busy times. All dives were pretty awesome, I saw a shark, two turtles and thousands of exotic tropical fishes.

Accommodations/food:
The accommodations were clean and relatively new, since the resort was built in 2009. There are no luxurious details, it is simple but with good taste. They could improve on smaller things in my opinion, like having a sign with their name and more crafted Fijian artwork for the decor, or even re-making the foliage walls, between some of the villas, because they look old now. Bed sheets were clean and so the towels and everything was decorated with fresh flowers everyday.
Most resorts are compulsory full board, so the food is a very important side of the experience. They charge 89 fijian dollars /day for the three meals (some of the travel agencies were not aware of the correct price, so attention), but the food was amazing, their local chefs, Koli and V are really passionate and the menu is diverse and most portions are generous. We had buffet and table service, curry, seafood, barbecue nights and left every meal satisfied.

Service/Programme:
Fijian people are really friendly and because I stayed longer than the island hoppers, I manage to get closer to the staff who were always smiling and up to help me. The managers are doing a good job and the staff seems happy and that makes them feel like they own it, making all difference when they interact with the clients. In the restaurant there is a big board with every weeks activities and you just can’t get bored, I visited caves and village, had a cooking class, learned how to weave, you can go fishing and snorkeling, we had charity crab racing for the local school and even a really fun Survivor competition. It’s a good place for families (not much partying) but I didn’t see any group activities for children only. I also missed yoga, but managed to run a couple of classed with other clients.

What I felt is that people who came for a couple of nights just didn’t have the chance to enjoy as much, so I recommend you spend longer and have fun.

Room Tip: The dorms are on the back of the entrance and the further away form the restaurant but really close...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AliciaBastos
Reviewed 30 October 2012

The BL resort with around 16 villa's plus some dorm accommodation makes for a good number and variety of guests from single backpackers to honeymooners to families. Great food with local and international selections; all delicious. Kids were safe in the shallow, stunningly clear water and snorkeling off the beach is good enough to see some variety of coral and fish. Staff were fantastic and most helpful with any request. Must see the kids at the village school - their singing was a highlight of our whole trip. For us, this was exactly the right mix of quiet beach relaxation (read siesta!), some cultural immersion (as opposed to the concrete resorts of Denarau) and meeting other travelers. Thanks to Gary and Marcie, Annie, Luke and Phillip for that extra step in making our 2 weeks truly memorable.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lilBrownGirl_Melb
Reviewed 29 October 2012

What a hoot of a holiday we had, years of stress melted away after the first few days. We were relaxed and happy and advise you to open your eyes as well as your hearts to this beautiful island, it's people and blue lagoon beach resort.
The staff are hardworking and always with a smile. The ladies cleaning the bure were lovely, they are a credit to the resort. They left everything perfect each day and were always friendly and helpful.
The experience we will always remember is the FREE village visit. The children at the school sing their hearts out. This was the best day we had in a long time. Please take the time to take some stationery supplies with you in your luggage for the children at the school and make a small donation as everyday items are so very hard to come by. We had fun in the village hall being entertained by the locals,singing and dancing with them and received beautiful floral leis. The craft market is great. I purchased some amazing handmade mats which were being used in the accommodation at the resort from the village ladies for only $20fjd, the workmanship was excellent. The elderly lady I purchased one from was so thankful for her $20,what you buy specifically goes to that family. I was very teary, she treated me as if I had just given her a million dollars, it was very humbling. We could all take a lesson in life from the people in this village and the local resort staff. They are the salt of the earth and are so appreciative that they have a job and means to provide for themselves and their families. Just take the time to stop and say hello and give them the respect and the time of day and your will learn a lot. Do previous visitors know just how far the workers have to walk and wait for the changing tides to get to work? Yes, this is paradise. The snorkelling was great including seeing sea stars, a sea snake,stingray and lots of fish. The sunsets were lovely. We were lucky enough to have the Yasawa Flyer call in one day with the Police Brass Band on board playing for everyone, that was a great experience. The little touches are what set this resort apart. Fresh hibiscus and frangipani in the footbaths, on the beds, bathroom and in the shower each day. Freshly cleaned and raked grounds outdoors around your bure. The efficient laundry service daily if you require for a small charge. There were more then enough fresh towels daily, and service similar to that in a five star hotel. A few of the kids were playing darts, it made their day if they won, they would get a free icecream. Free shots of drinks to the winners of the volleyball. International crab racing and survivor night was a lot of fun. The cooking lesson as well as the weaving and cococut husking demonstration were all very interesting. The day we were booked on the blue lagoon cruise the weather was miserable. We still went and had the most fun and laughs in the rain with the bumpy ride that it was a highlight. At this resort, you can do as much or as little as you want. The meke night was great and we were privledged to witness a beautiful wedding on beach at sunset.The Sunday evening choir visit was very special . The massage was fijian, excellent and good value at $59fj. The pawpaw margaritas are sublime. Marcie the manager is the loveliest lady. Blue Lagoon is calling us .........
oh dear!

Room Tip: Go the extra for beachfront and let the waves lapping at your door lull you to sleep. A few steps a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank BigDadda67
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Stayed at BLBR for 3 nights after botaira resort. Snorkeling was not as good here but still seen plenty of variety. Did two dives including a shark dive which were excellent. Lots of activities to keep you busy here, highly recommend the village trip. Went to the local school and the children sung us a variety of songs. If you have any old children books or school supplies definitely take them here. One traveller donated some books and seeing how happy the children were was fantastic. Food was excellent, had a variety of choices for lunch and a three course meal for dinner. Another resort is right next to BLBR and has much cheaper drinks if you are on a budget. We stayed in a lodge room. Very basic with only some side tables but it was all we needed. Shared bathroom were usually really clean. Many of the sun loungers by the beach are reserved for the beach villas but there are plenty of hammocks and even bean bags to relax in.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Nanuya Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Nanuya
36.3 km away
Mantaray Island Resort

Been to Blue Lagoon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!