New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Le Francois
San Francisco
“Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I stayed at Cap Est in October 2010 (yes I know that was some time ago!) and will never forget this place. While it was out of season and we came as a package from American Airlines, we were treated as the 'only' guests that the Resort had. Staff were without fault, some spoke English (why do 'guests' go to a different country and then expect everyone to speak English), food was well presented and quietly served in ocean view spaces. The beach bar is...a beach bar. The sea was clean and clear. Getting around the island, yes you do need a car, but with so many great places to see, why are you just drinking in the bar...get out and view another country.
Going back...you bet yer! , why,? because as you read down the other comments below, note that the manager has tried to answer everyone, now that's customer service (NOTE: I have NO connection of any sort to Cap Est, Martinique or American Airlines)

Room Tip: Spring for the second floor rooms with the ocean view, yes it's money but there's no regrets...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Barry G
Valerie_Deguitre, Responsable commercial at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
First at all please let us thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback following your stay with us. We will pass on your comments to the team and we are sure that they will be delighted to read them! They will also be a great source of motivation for a team that takes pleasure in doing their job and making our guests as happy as possible. We very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back and showing you some of the new features and services that we provide since you last stayed.

Many thanks once again.

Kindest regards,

Anthony Torkington & Valerie Deguitre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Troyes, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I invited a group of sales managers for dinner at the beach restaurant of the resort (which is not the main restaurant). Avoid this place! Food is very average, service is appalling and prices are a rip-off (130€ pp for a cocktail, a salad, a steak, one scoop of ice-cream and some average wine). I had decided not to review but when a friend told me of the night he proposed his wife at the same place, I changed my mind. I live in Martinique and can recommend some places half the price that a turist will remember for a lifetime.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Chrisquitolindo
Anthony_Torkington, Directeur général at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
First of all please let me thank you for having taken the time to give us your feedback following the group dinner you had at our beach restaurant.
In order to be able to reply fully and try and understand why the service and food were visibly not up to your expectations, could I ask you to be as kind as to ask you to send me a contact email address? You can send the information for my attention at reception@capest.com
Many thanks.
Yours Sincerely
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I can recommend this resort. It is the best accommodation on the whole island. I liked very much dinners at the restaurant Le Belem with professional service. On the other hand I recommend the book 15 minute French. To understand something is very helpful (e.g. at breakfast: Do you have a pancake? No. Hmm… Do you have a crêpe. Yes.). The best option is to rent a car and to make a lot of trips (e.g. Mount Pelée), because Martinique is very nice and save island. Quality of roads is very high. BTW the best snorkeling (amount of fish) in the resort is directly under jetty.

Room Tip: villas near jetty with lookout into the ocean
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Beige-bear
First of all let me take this opportunity to thank you for having given us your feedback following your recent stay with us.
We are delighted that the quality of the hotel and the service that we provide met up to your expectations.
We are currently working on a training program to enhance the level of English that is spoken by our team. And we have recently given them little booklets to help them with the basics in English!
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Cap Est Resort.
Kindest Regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Upon arrival we had to take our luggage to the reception area as there was no one around to take care of it!
Finding someone who can speak English is like winning the lottery! When I mentioned this to the GM his reply was that his clients are usually French (speaks for itself)! When I asked the reception about site seeing I was told they would get back to me as they would have to contact the Tourist Office for information!
To call this establishment as resort is a far cry from reality, there are no organised activities, no initiatives, no activities for kids!
The beach is a small strip of sand with stones and algae, you risk your life by swimming in the sea as the kite surfers race along the water in front of the beach with absolute no regards for the swimmers.
The food is average and you have to live with the same limited menu for all your stay.
No water or fruit is supplied to the suites.
The suite are poor in quality, furniture old and some nailed shut and the cleaning left a lot to be desired, the plunge pool area seems as if it was hit by a tsunami. The A/C in our suite only worked at 15 degrees. 1 English channel CNN!
New Years dinner and entertainment ended at 11pm when the 3 piece band packed their instruments and left. I found out later (day before I left) that we were apparently supposed to move to the bar area and watch the fire works from there. Would have been nice to have been told so EARLIER! Communication is obviously another of their strong points.

I spoke to the GM and he mentioned that he had taken over from May and that it was a work in progress and as far as I'm concerned it needs a lot of work! There is no way that it comes close to real 5 star resorts, at most its comparable to 3 star establishments(with 5 star costs).

I will be uploading photos!

Room Tip: If you know it you avoid it!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tomamoc
Anthony_Torkington, Directeur général at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Sir,
First of all may I thank you for having taken the time to publish your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.
It is a shame that the discussion that we had together at the end of your stay is not completely reflected in the comments that you have made. Effectively I told you that the majority of our guests were French speaking but I did not use this as an excuse. Our staff all followed a training course in English in November 2011 and we intend on continuing this training in 2012. We are aware that improvements can always be made in the level of spoken English and hence we are taking the necessary steps to optimise the current level.
We organise 2 excursions each week for our guests, 3 themed evenings in our beach restaurant per week and the beach sports base has kayaks, windsurfers and sailing boats on offer free of charge for hotel guests. There is also a kite surfing school on site. Aquagym sessions are also organised 5 times a week. The hotel also has a sports boat that can be rented by guests with skipper.
I apologise for the apparent lack of communication on our behalf concerning the entertainment on the 31st of December. The guests in the restaurant that you dined in were invited to join the bar at 11pm and watch the 20 minute firework display and enjoy the music that lasted until 1am.

Once again I thank you for having given the feedback and I very much hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Cap Est so that you can review your judgment. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss your comments in futher detail (reception@capest.com). Yours Sincerely.
Rome
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Our experience at the Cap Est was a very positive one - the setting is beautiful as the resort lies within a charming laguna, with crystal clear waters and immersed in vegetation. The main area of the resort is simple, with basic tropical style furnishings (lots of wood, flowers, bamboo etc with an oriental touch such as incense burning). The staff are polite, and discreet - not too straight jacketed for a 5 star hotel. I found them to be just right for the caribbean setting.
The suites vary a lot - most have gardens, some are on the main pool, others have outdoor jacuzzis and showers, it depends on what you are willing to pay. Generally very spacious suites. We were two adults and a 9-year old so we got a double with extra bed - it turned out to be a suite with rather large living area, and the extra bed was within this area. The sleeping and living area were not divided, but at night we drew a large heavy curtain which was nice for some privacy. Nice bathroom with bathtub and large separate shower. The amenities are high quality.
We only ate at the garden restaurant (the less expensive option, more family friendly I found). They had nice dishes, quite varied if a bit expensive for what you got but nonetheless practical with some specialities from the island. The bar is nothing to write home about, but the service was always courteous and we enjoyed our 'tit punch there in the evenings.
Biggest disappointment: the sea level. While the water is clean and the surroundings are charming, the sea level is really low (about 1 metre) and it doesn't get high enough to swim in so I never quite got to enjoy a swim in it.
Best bit: hearty breakfasts with lots of tropical fruit and gorgeous French bakery bread. I suggest you try their home made jams (guava, grapefruit etc - a taste of heaven!).
Overall a lovely experience. I don't know the prices in Martinique in general but found this to be a little overpriced for what the resort had to offer. Nonetheless I would suggest it especially if you are getting a deal on your stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sofuia
Prague, the Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

Despite not everything is great about this place, I love it, because it is so beautiful!

We spent a week in this resort in the beginning of February with our little twin boys. We were welcomed very warmly and were explained everything. We booked a deluxe suite which was simply great. We liked it very much. It was so comfortable and furnished with such great but simple taste. The design of suite as well as the whole resort are was very beautiful and we felt very good and welcomed in this place.

You can see the suites at hotel web page but the reality is much better. I loved so much the bathroom connected with openair shower on one side and closets and bedroom on the other side. I liked the whole suite - in my opinion it is much better than for example Four Seasons Provence suites, that are of similar nature.

The other great thing about suite is the little pool. It is fantastic to refresh in the hot day and for kids.

I love eating so we ate a lot and tried many items from all menus. We ate a lot in the room with babies and loved the room service. It was great, perfectly served etc. We also ate in both restuarants and were very satisfied. We really enjoyed. We have some objections with respect to breakfest service but in general it was more than acceptable. The bar was also OK.

With respect to our twin babies, you can imagine it is quite difficult to travel with them but EVERYBODY in the hotel was so tolerant and helpful with respect to our kids.

From the negative side, the hotel is little pricey. I would say it is more pricey than it would be acceptable, even when taking into account what a great place it is. To be honest, the beach is poor. But you do not need to spend your days on the beach: you can use for access to water and for sun bathing the pier on the other side. It is much more interesting. You can also use beautiful pool, or to make some kiting.

The hotel is in quite isolated area and you definitely need a car. That is for sure. (We rented big SUV and enjoyed.) But this is ok for me. I dont want being in the beach for whole day and than going in the evening around the sea and try many same restaurants full of tourists. This place is much more interesting and exclusive. And with car, you have so many possibilities for restaurants, beaches, plantages, rhum factories and other attractions if you want to see somethning new. Then, I am sure, you will definitely love being back in this beautiful place.

I need also emphasize that (despite I doubted in the beginning) I loved so much the windy atlantic coast of Martinique. It is so fresh and clean and so

I believe that the selection of location only completes the exclusive nature of this resort, so different from cariibean (west coast) resorts. It has its own charm and atmosphere!

I want to come back :)

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank CzechTourist
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2011

Cap Est

We stayed for seven nights in April 2011 in a deluxe lagoon room with private pool.

Summary:

Overall, Cap Est is a lovely location, and our room (deluxe lagoon view with plunge pool) was very nice.

Unfortunately, at times, this felt less of a holiday in paradise and more of a trip to Fawlty Towers!

The hotel - frustratingly - took two days to address some issues that we raised via email. For the first twenty-four hours, reception said the email has arrived, but then admitted they'd never received it!
Cap Est's Deputy Manager, Ms Ajax, was very helpful when she received our complaint and offered a significant amount of compensation. The management clearly know how to treat their clients, but the staff do not.

Another word of warning - we were told COMPLETELY the wrong opening times for everything by the gentleman that checked us in. That said, we were told three different sets of opening times for the gym from three different people! Even the room services guide says Le Campeche is closed in the evenings, but it was open on the seven nights we were there!

Location:

The resort is around 40 minutes from the main Lamentin airport in Fort de France. It is beautiful, although there are no restaurants / activities within walking distance, so it is advisable to hire a car. The hotel will rent one to you via Hertz, but see my comments below.

Be aware that the lagoon is too shallow to swim in, but the infinity pool is really stunning. There are not quite enough loungers, so get there early! Also, it is unmanned so don't expect assistance with parasols etc.

Restaurants:

There are two restaurants - Le Campeche (traditional Creole) and Belem (French fine dining). The food in both is good to very good.
The house bar is the Cohi-Bar.

Le Campêche:

We ate twice at Le Campêche and felt that the service was very poor. For example, the waitress told us she had no alcohol free beer (when I asked in both French and English), despite the fact that a lady nearby was drinking some. We then asked another waiter, who said they did have it.
At the end of the meal, we waited fifteen minutes while three waiters and the Food & Beverages Manager tried to work out our bill for one bottle of water, two main courses, two ice creams and two beers. We explained we had to get to a spa appointment, but they still took over ten minutes more. And the bill was incorrect after so much time spent on it!

I left my hat at the restaurant and went back to collect it later. The Food and Beverage Manager insisted it was not there - she didn't ask any of the waiters. My husband returned later, and - of course! - he spoke to a waiter who found the hat.

We were disappointed that the Food and Beverage Manager did not apologise for keeping us waiting for the bill (when she was told we had an appointment to get to), or helpful in assisting with my lost property issue.

As Le Belem was fully booked (despite being told booking wasn't necessary), we had to eat at Le Campêche again that evening. My husband was ill, so rushed off to the room. I immediately explained the situation and asked for the bill, saying I needed ran leave and check on my husband. After five minutes of waiting, the waitress told me that I would need to wait for the bill as there was a computer issue. After ten minutes, I got up to go to the bar and speak with the head waitress, but she waved her hand dismissively to me. She did the same when I tried again five minutes later (I.e. After fifteen minutes of waiting). Finally, I realized that her rude hand waving was not solving the situation and I asked her to send the bill to my room where I would sign it off. It was upsetting, especially the way the head waitress kept rudely waving her hand at me when I tried to ask how long I would need to wait, when I wanted to return to my sick husband.

Twenty four hours later, the bill had not been delivered for my sign off. I had to go to reception and ask for it. The bill had been marked with a cross in the signature section, as though implying we were not expected to sign it. It was, luckily, correct, but if it hadn't been I would not have known unless I had asked. The bill should have been delivered to our room for sign off.

Le Belem:

The food here was very good. It is the breakfast restaurant too and the buffet was very good, when the waiters found time to top it up! They would also only offer hot food when they were quiet, so if you're keen to order something special avoid the crowds.

Le Cohi-Bar

At 5pm one day, we went to the bar and there was no one there, so we presumed it was closed. We returned to the room and saw it should be open from 10am to 11pm. I then tried calling the bar, but received no answer and had to ask someone from the front desk to ensure a waiter would be there if we went up again.

The first round of non alcoholic cocktails were fine, but the next ones were not. My cocktail had been incorrectly made, and thus contained alcohol. The waiter acknowledged that it was a non alcoholic cocktail, and apologised for giving me the wrong non alcoholic cocktail. But he didn't seem to understand the problem with putting alcohol in it by mistake!

Another issue we had was that by the time we wanted to order another cocktail, the barman had disappeared again. He apologised, but that's not really the point - in such a luxury establishment, I don't want to have to shout into back rooms and call up receptionists to get service at a bar that is supposedly open from 10am to 11pm.

Room Service

I was very disappointed to have to make my own coffee in the machine in our room, when we ordered room service breakfast. I feel that ordering decaffeinated coffee should not mean I have to make it myself, in a different room to where my husband is beginning breakfast. This is something I would do at home, but I would not expect to do it in a luxury resort.

It does not seem difficult to me for the filtering of the coffee to be done by the kitchen, and then put into a coffee pot.

Hot Water

The water in our room was only lukewarm, at best, for six of our seven nights. Several engineers looked at it and failed to solve the problem.

It was fixed on night six BUT unbelievably they turned off the cold water in the shower, so it was still impossible to have a shower at the right temperature!

Car Rental:

The 206 we rented was clean and in good shape, despite having done a lot of miles. There was a major issue though: bald tyres. These proved a bit treacherous on Martinique's hilly roads, especially as it was wet while we were there.

Housekeeping:

This was for the most part good. The room was in very good order and clean. The housekeeping team did, though, leave a dirty plate outside for over twenty-four hours (it would have been seen by two sets of housekeeping staff, AM and PM). This seems symptomatic - the staff seem to take little pride in what is a beautiful resort.

The Spa:

Do not believe the hype - the spa is okay at best. There is only a price list with no descriptions and it is in French. If you can read French, there is a link to a brochure on their website which describes the treatments on offer - I asked at the spa for this, but they claim they don't have one.

We weren't told whether and if we could use the hydrotherapy pool.

My husband and I each had the sports massage which was very good, although it does not feel particularly nurturing to have your feet wiped with an antiseptic wipe before commencing - especially after I'd showered moments before! The massage itself was good, though.

The Gym:

If you are looking to continue a fitness regime, think again. The gym has some of the cheapest equipment I've come across. It's not designed for commercial use and this shows. The recumbent bike, for example, has a broken seat that makes it impossible to move easily.

It is, however, always empty so you do guarantee the equipment you want. This is partly because it's so unwelcoming - the wall bars, low ceilings and lack of lighting make it feel like a school gym rather than a welcoming, healthy lifestyle place to visit.

There is water available there, towels and wipes (the same ones the spa uses on feet!) to clean the equipment post-use. It is air conditioned, although the spa receptionists insist on leaving its door open, so there is minimal AC benefit.

Stay Again?

No, definitely not. Cap Est must improve its game. The staff just don't care enough and are often rude and inappropriate. The compensation was very kind, as were the lovely gifts MA Ajax gave us, but at the end of the day we were quite disappointed by this distinctly average resort.

• Stayed April 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank BeachedExplorers
svdk5259, Directeur général at Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 May 2011
First of all may we thank you for having taken the time to give your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent stay with us.
We have analysed the remarks that you have made and will use them to try and improve both the quality of our property and the services that we provide.
We very much hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Cap Est and we hope that the changes that we will have made will alter you view on the property.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Le Francois
21.8 km away
Diamant Beach
Diamant Beach
#1 of 5 in Le Diamant

Been to Le Cap Est Lagoon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!