“Very nice park, but the cottages are below par...”

Center Parcs De Kempervennen
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westerhoven
Reviewed 14 July 2016

The facilities in this park are awesome, there is so much to do and both the market-dome and aquamundo are very nice.

The reason why I give this place a low rating is because the beds are horribly soft, when I complained they had a solution: insert a large plank between the mattress and the bed. A quick-and-dirty solution to avoid having to buy new beds I guess... not what you expect when you rent a "VIP cottage".

The next big problem was mosquito's, they are everywhere... now this is something that is annoying as you simply cannot sit outside, bbq or do anything without getting bitten. But what is really unforgivable is that the cottages do not have any window screens, not even on the ventilation holes. So when we arrived we spent most of our first night killing mosquito's after we closed the ventilation. (they left it open for us, thanks for that!)

But then the cottage became really damp and smelled moldy, nothing would dry so I ended up driving to a shop in town and getting mesh so I could cover the ventilation. It's plain stupid that I had to do this myself. If you know you have a mosquito problem, the least you can do is make sure they can't get into the cottages.

Anyway, I have a lot of mixed feelings regarding this place. It could be awesome and normally I would have probably given this place a 4/5 or 5/5 rating, but when you fail at the basics like being able to sleep without killing your back or getting eaten alive then you simply don't deserve a good rating.

Room Tip: Avoid anything near water... which is nearly impossible
3  Thank WRoyB
There are newer reviews for Center Parcs De Kempervennen

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

Standards are not as high, everything is a bit tired, restaurant selection is average. Reasonably priced though, less to do than Longleat for the young kids.

Staff are excellent and the levels of English spoken is very good, the buffet is brilliant quality but the service is terrible, cues for food were excessive due to poor variety of restaurants.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Lee197
Reviewed 13 July 2016

We took our granddaughters aged 8 and 10 here. It was an ideal place for them. The cottage we stayed in, (a 4 person premium) was well equipped. I especially liked having a dishwasher, and a DVD player.

There were plenty of activities for girls of their age could do; badminton, climbing, zip wire, aqua scooter, an introduction to diving, were the activities they took part in. The only problem is you need to accept that all of these are activities that have to be paid for, which can make life expensive. However the swimming pool complex was good, and, as it was the beginning of July, no overly busy.

We ate for a couple of nights in Evergreenz, the family buffet, and found a good variety of interesting food. Admittedly the girls ate the food for adults, not that provided for children.

There a couple of negative points, the grounds looked as if they needed a bit more maintenance in particular the children's petting area. Here the entrance gate was past its best and there were no facilities for cleaning your hands, which in these days of Health and Safety seemed surprising. The mosquitoes were a problem. It was just one of those unfortunate things, but it meant we couldn't open the bedroom windows. Insect screens for the windows would have made a huge difference.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank wildew
Reviewed 12 July 2016

Stayed for a week in July - huge park with loads to do and near a nice town (Valkenswaard).
Had 3 free 'toppings' to use - got a list of activities that could be booked using these at check in. We used them for a ten pin bowling session (used up 2 toppings) and an hour pedalo hire. So I figure each topping is worth about 10 euro.
Bikes are almost essential - your cottage may be quite far away from the dome and pool. Also, useful to ride a bike to and from car park if you plan to travel out and about around The Netherlands. Very pleasant to ride around the park on bikes - lots of tracks and spots for picnics by the lakes.
Booked a premium cottage and to be honest found it a bit grubby. Would book a VIP cottage next time to see if it was better. Cottage itself was a little bit small with very little wardrobe/storage space for clothes. Fairly well equipped.
Supermarket on site was typically very expensive - better to go into valkenswaard to a supermarket like Lidl. Note: supermarket at site not open very late if you arrive in the evening.
Lots and lots of mosquitoes - were given information on check in about it and saw groundsmen spraying bushes presumably to try to control issue. I however have lots of bites (the only member of the family!). Make sure to take repellent to at least try to avoid bites and stuff for outside as we didn't sit out in our garden because of this.
Restaurants in the market dome were just OK, but if you want finer dining you'll have to go outside the park.
If you want a day out - go to Efteling theme park around 50mins from centre parc. An amazing park almost as good as disney.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Nearer to the market dome
2  Thank happyholsfolks!
Reviewed 8 July 2016

Wife, daughter, grandchildren 2 and 4 and myself had a week in 2 standard cottages first week of July. First cottage stunk so was rejected moved to 609 which was much better. That was first day gone after big delay on Eurotunnel. Read small print for what you get, towels are extra!! Cottage was adequate, needed a really good deep clean. Mosquitos where a real problem not many people in the swimming pool without bites. We hired bikes for the week which made getting around much easier, 3 bikes plus a trailer for the little ones was about £100, but money well spent. Facilities are not the same as UK Center Parcs but we spent a lot of time in the Aqua Mundo swimming dome which the kids loved. Lots of kids running free range but this appears to be the norm. Not sure why but hardly anyone seemed to speak and hardly any thank-yous. We had a run out to Einhoven on the Tuesday and caught the market which was very good with excellent fresh produce. Area around camp is very nice but not sure if we would stay at De Kempervennen again.

Room Tip: Away from water
1  Thank Baz_SueAyleshamkent
Reviewed 6 July 2016

If, like me, you have only ever been to Center Parcs in the UK you may find this a little bit different. I had been to Winfell, Woburn and Sherwood Forest Center Parcs and had found them clean and a good way to spend a holiday with a young child. The UK Center Parcs have very spacious, comfortable cabins. The resorts and are large with a lot of activities, the pools are usually very clean, modern and well maintained.. like the accommodation and other facilities. This is NOT the case for Der Kempervennen in the Netherlands. The whole place is very dated and clearly hasn’t had any investment for a long time.

We booked a mid range cabin which I assumed was equivalent to the type I booked in the UK. Not so. This chalet was tiny, basic and dirty. The bed was warn and foam. The chalet stank of stale cigarette smoke and had burns in the curtains. Everything was old and a bit mouldy and dirty. On the first night I evicted 12 Slugs from the property and was bitten to bits by mosquitos (they appear to like daytime biting as well as night time). The shop had sold out of repellent so we did an emergency trip to the local town (which was lovely) to get some. We had arranged for breakfast to be delivered every morning – this was good, apart from the fact that the some wildlife had a good go at our chocolate crossiant on the second day. I told the staff and they gave me a shopping trolley to leave out to stop this happening again.
The swimming pool changing rooms were really old and dirty and stank of stale urine. The pool was fine once you forgot about the dirt and rust. The facilities and activities were much more limited that the UK and rather tired and old. One of the reasons we went to this site, was for the ski slope. This, in the same way as the other facilities, was a poor substitute for the UK indoor slopes. I booked three days of adult lessons and three days of child lessons (one hr a day each). We ended up together, which was fine, as we were the nearest in similar ability (he is four and I am forty four). I was originally paired with an 8 year old (I booked lessons for adults – over 13s) and he was paired with a five year old. The other two had only ever skied for a hour each but claimed they were advanced.. There was a fast reshuffle that put us together! The slope itself was a bit grotty the teacher was lovely and my son had fun so that was the most important..

I guess you get what you pay for. This was cheaper than the UK and there was a reason for it. I generally find the UK does badly compared to mainland Europe when comparing most things, however, Center Parcs is the exception (at least this one). Would love to know what other European ones are like before I take the risk again. If you are coming from the UK and expect like for like… Don’t – and bring insect repellent. On the positive side, the weather was better and therefore the outdoor play areas also better. Also, much closer to local amenities that the UK Parcs and it was good to visit local towns

2  Thank LucyFM
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

I've been coming here since I was a teenager and now, as a mum, decided to bring my little family here for a great outdoor experience. I've only ever visited in winter but this time, we took advantage of being able to take our 4 year old out of school and, came in June.

Firstly, the accommodation was horrendous! I'm not one for exaggerating and can tough most things out but, it truly was awful. We were greeted with a welcome pack which explained that they'd been overwhelmed with mosquitos. They weren't kidding! There were swarms everywhere and we were bitten multiple times just unpacking the car! They gave out free spray and then told us to ventilate the property...hmm, and let more in? Perhaps not! There was also a very strong smell of damp. Severe damp too. Mouldy. The bathroom door wouldn't shut and when forced, debris fell from the skylight above all over the sink and toothbrushes! Yuck! We complained! The place was not fit for human habitation.

They moved us for the last few days to another villa. An upgrade. Brilliant we thought. But, when we moved in we realised we'd lost a bedroom! Again we were given a welcome pack. This time it mentioned they'd struggled with damp in cottages and recommended we ventilate the property! Have I mentioned the swarms of mosquitos?! The toilet in this property smelt badly of damp but the rest of the place was ok. We went out that afternoon and evening and when we returned I set about getting the kids their milk. I walked into the kitchen area and got a wet sock! The skylight above the kitchen had leaked during the torrential downpour earlier that evening. Great! Then, once kids were in bed, my husband and I sat in the lounge hoping and praying that the ridiculously loud music from neighbouring cottages would stop soon! It stopped at gone midnight! It was very loud!

The following day, today, more loud music starting from early evening! This is turning out to be a nightmare and after having visited multiple times before, I don't think we'll return.

Additional notes
- Equipment in kids pool is broken
- Mosquitos plague everywhere including the dome and, a waitress told us that soon wasps will become a problem.
- You will need insect repellent as they have sold out in the shop and I've not seen any the whole time I've been here so, no delivery yet!

Sort yourselves out De Kempervennen! Get mosquito nets up at Windows, stock repellent, do something about the damp! I am currently pregnant too and there has been a global issue surrounding mosquitos. I'd like to have been pre-warned and at least able to buy repellent in your shop!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank travel2mum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westerhoven
39.2 km away
10.9 km away
Center Parcs de Vossemeren
22.7 km away
Center Parcs Erperheide

Been to Center Parcs De Kempervennen? Share your experiences!