“Great Resorty feel, too bad about the service”

InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Faa'a
Nouméa, null, New Caledonia
“Great Resorty feel, too bad about the service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

The hotel room was immaculate, a definite holiday feel. The room was comfy and summery. The hotel is perfectly situated with a divine view of Moorea island across the harbour. Everything about the aesthetic of this hotel was fabulous. The way the pool meets the ocean, the tropical fish in the man-made inlet, the views from reception, bar, restaurant as well as the decor in the lobby, rooms etc.
The only let-down was the lakadaisical approach to service that the hotel staff seemed to bear. Time seems to be of no importance. I ordered a beer from room service, and I thought they had forgotten about my order, when an hour and a half later, I receive a knock on my door and a warm, flat beer in my hand.

If I were to go to Tahiti again, I would stay there again just for the fantastic views and centrality, but the room service is a joke.

Room Tip: Get a 'fare sur mer', or a beach hut, These bad boys are right on the ocean and allow for mu...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ariane T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed here for one night after leaving Bora Bora as our flight home left at 7.30 in the morning and it was one of the worst experiences I have ever had! We arrived about 5pm and since our pickup was at 4.40am we only booked a standard room. The guy at the front desk basically looked down his nose at us. He took our credit card and told us to tell the porters our room number. I asked about the breakfast which was included and he told me that the restaurant did not open until 6am. I am not stupid! I was asking as I had read that other MUCH BETTER hotels arranged for croissants and yogurt to be sent up. I was obviously asking for too much. The porters just placed our bags and left. We got noinformation on our room, the hotel. Nothing!
We knew the room would not be very fancy given the type of room we ordered but were horrified to find faeces (yes poo!!) smeared on the wall beside the toilet. I have pictures to proove it. We tried to explain this to reception and the manager but they obviously did not care.
Even when I told the morning duty manager he clearly understood but offered no apology at all.
We tried to order off the room service menu but were informed that because there was a show at the restaurant most of the food was unavailable (including pizzas). The resulting menu was very very limited. The problem is that the room service menu marks some items as "unexcepted" (which is not a word) on a show nights so we had no idea.
Just when we thought all the exciting things were behind us and we decided to hop into bed and the drums from the show started. They had put us right above the restaurant so we could not sleep until 9.30 and we had to be up at 3.30am to pack. Once again no one cared at all.
In summary our treatment at this hotel was disgraceful. I would avoid this hotel at all costs
We stayed for 3 nights at the Manava when we first arrived and it was fabulous. Its probably cheaper too!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TLee41
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear TLee41,

Thank you for your review regarding your experience. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and create memorable experiences. We take all feedback seriously. It helps us gauge what we are doing right and what we need to improve on and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Reminiscing on my beloved August 2010 trip to Tahiti, where I stayed at the Intercontinental. It was a dream vacation, where I spent most of the time lazying around in my room (a lovely motu overwater bungalow), and wandering around the resort. I tell ya, I didn't want to leave my "hut," and luxuriated in the back patio enjoying the views of the water, and listening to my ipod (just what I'd dreamed of doing in the months leading to the trip).

The room was very comfortable, and the bathroom very clean.

There seemed to be restaurants and bars all over the resort, so food and drink options were always on hand. There was even a Polynesian dance show on the last night I was there.

The on-site Spa was a treat, as the staff was pleasant and accommodating.

The Robert Wan store on-site had a great selection of jewels, and provided a shuttle to the Robert Wan museum in town (which made for a nice opportunity to walk around town).

All in all, it was a fun, and relaxing trip. This resort provided the perfect environment for me to run away from civiilization, and chillax. I will most definitely be back to these islands, and the Intercontinental will be where I'll stay.

Room Tip: Overwater bungalows are best for the ultimate experience
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

First off. This review is long, long, long overdue. We traveled to Tahiti several years ago and stayed in a Jr. Suite Overwater Bungaloo for a couple nights pre-cruise. Private balcony and small dock. Pricey rooms, but if you want quite, this is it. The adjacent bungaloos are like 20+ feet away. Water is spectacular all around Polynesia. The local island Taha'a is our ultimate spot; closest thing we've come to swimming in an aquarium. Like almost everything in Polynesia, food is expensive.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
v_roniquey, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Guests, ia Orana from Tahiti !
We’re very honored to see that you still think about our Resort nearly 1 year after your stay with us, and we would like to thank you for sharing your comments.
Would you decide to visit us again, you’ll be very welcome.
Guest relation Manager
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We arrived in Tahiti at 5 a.m. and had booked our rooms for 2 nights to ensure we had a room when we arrived. We might have just asked for an early check-in, but we were not sure our rooms would be available that early. ( For travelllers, that point would be worth checking into) We were astounded at how gorgeous this resort is. We had booked garden rooms, but were so grateful when we were upgraded to ocean view rooms. Our rooms were beautiful, spacious and elegantly decorated. The beds had canopies and there was a lovely table and even a small refrigerator. We were on the ground floor of one of the many pods in the resort. Our rooms had sliding glass doors leading to our own patios, which opened onto a wonderful ocean view. Waiting for us in the rooms, were a fresh fruit plate and a bottle of wine. The fruit plate was decorated with lovely fresh flowers. We were very impressed at these special touches.
The main pool was huge with a lovely waterfall. Beyond the pool was a recreation of a natural lagoon complete with coral and sea life. We swam in both areas. There was another smaller pool a short walk away, which was stunning. It too, was an infinity pool overlooking the ocean with a beach entry and swim-up bar. Attached was a small restaurant. We could not get over the lovely grounds in this large resort. There were small ponds with fish and turtles and the entire property was beautifully landscaped.
The restaurant overlooking the pool was excellent. We enjoyed breakfast and dinner there, and caught a wonderful show featuring authentic Polynesian dancers from the Moorea ballet company. Even the washrooms were filled with fresh local flowers.

The staff was courteous and very helpful. I had trouble getting on to the internet and was assisted by a very knowledgeable staff member.

What a great way to start our holiday. We would highly recommend the Intercontinental Resort. Our only regret was that we had not booked another few nights there prior to our voyage on the Aranui.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth booking an ocean-view room. There are also rooms in huts overlooking the wat...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ladydiver27
Dear Guest:
Greetings from InterContinental Tahiti Resort!
Many thanks for posting your comments on trip Advisor after your recent stay at Intercontinental Tahiti Resort.
We’re very happy to learn that we succeeded in making your sojourn so memorable!
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Guest relation Manager
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Firstly, Tahiti is absolutely beautiful, so anywhere you visit is bound to be fabulous.

My trip started at the Tahiti Intercontinental, just out of Papeete. The first thing I noticed was how close it was to the airport, which is always a bonus and important to me, as you really don't want to have to trek to your hotel after flying for several hours. We were greeted by two lovely Tahitian men wearing sarongs, who graciously carried our bags to the room with a smile.

The room was nice and clean, but if you are in paradise why would you want to spend too much time in the room anyway?!

The Intercontinental has two lovely pools and was surrounded by a stunning bay. Getting to a good beach may mean a little trip, but for the few days we were there we were satisfied with the adult pool which had sand and crystal clear water coming in from the sea anyway.

The Intercon was a good stopover point to other parts of Tahiti. You could also enjoy a vacation here as well, as long as you were adventurous and did some day trips to see more of the surrounding sights and visit the beaches.

Food at this hotel was outstanding and so so fresh, the French influence is very obvious. I recommend the Fafa Chicken, which is a local dish and is chicken cooked in coconut milk with spinach, you must also make the most of the fantastic local fish.

If you can, make sure you time your trip so that you can see the dinner and show spectacular. The spectacular was an truly fantastic show which showcased Tahiti's beautiful men and women dancing in their traditional style.

Papeete itself isn't anything special, the markets are expensive and there really isn't much to buy so don't expect a shopping holiday. In fact Tahiti is expensive in general. If you are in the market for the famous Tahitian Black Pearls then there is an abundance, I would suggest talking to the locals about where they get pearls from but, don't forget they will send you to people they know who more than likely mark up prices for tourists, so shop around.

On the main street of Papeete, which runs parallel to front street where the wharf is, you will find the most fantastic Patisserie. This is a must visit and it certainly gave Paris patisseries a run for their money. Everything in there was delicious so don't expect to walk out of there empty handed, the only thing that will be lighter when you walk out of there is your wallet!

After a few days at the Tahiti Incontinental we began a Cruise with the Paul Gaugin Cruise company, this boat is affiliated with the Intercontinental. I cannot recommend this trip enough, it was truly fabulous. The scenery and food was divine. The Paul Gaugin team certainly know how to cruise and they do it in style. The staff and service was excellent. Cruising through French Polynesia is a great way to see the all of the islands. We disembarked in Bora Bora and the stories are true, Bora Bora is truly breath taking and definitely worth a visit. With crystal clear water and endless horizons it was a great place to finish our trip on a high.

I know you shouldn' compare but, Tahiti to me, was like a half way point between Hawaii and Fiji. Its not as built up Hawaii or as sophisticated, but it certainly was a big step up from Fiji and if I could choose I would go to Tahiti over Fiji any day.

The beaches, the water and the people in Tahiti are just beautiful.

Room Tip: If you want the over water bungalows, you do need to request them. If you want a bungalow but are wa...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Hotel_Honey1
Dear Guest: Greetings from InterContinental Tahiti Resort!
Many thanks for posting your comments on trip Advisor after your recent stay.
We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that overall, you were satisfied with the service and facilities provided by our property. Your feedback will be shared with all the departments.
You can be assured that your comments are taken into consideration and our staff acknowledged.
Thank you again for your patronage, and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Intercontinental Tahiti in the future.
Guest Relation Manager
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We spent 2 nights here after our Princess Cruise. We stayed in an Oceanview room. It was one of the most beauritful rooms we've ever stayed in. Huge bathroom with giant soaker tub. Loved the Infinity pool and bar, 1/2 price Happy Hour drinks with live entertainment. Restaurant prices are ridiculous..but that's Tahiti. Hopped on the local bur - from right outside the Resort - and went into Papeete for dinner. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PacificSandy
Dear Guest, ia Orana from Intercontinental Tahiti!
In reference to your comments regarding our excessive food prices, we can assure you that the margins we apply in French Polynesia are actually lower than the international hotels practice ; Most of the food being imported from overseas (often by air for fresh food and vegetables), they are also heavily taxed and the cost of raw material in general is extremely high thus incomparable with prices practiced in most countries unfortunately.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back and should you decide to do so, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Guest Relation Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faa'a
3.6 km away
#1 of 4 in Papeete
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,638 reviews
30.6 km away
InterContinental Moorea Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!