1,243 results
All reviewsthomson repskids clubalykanas villagelemon treesnack barevening entertainmentwater parkbeach poolself cateringfamily resortnext yearair conplastic cupsice creamstray dogssoft play areayoung children
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Just got back from a 2 week stay at the Alykanas Village. Let's get the moan out of the way - when I booked this for our family (me, wife plus 10yr old daughter and boys aged 8 & 7), I believed that I was booking a 2 bedroom apartment for 5, not a single "studio" apartment (ie single room) for all 5 of us. Maybe I should have paid more attention - but it seems that these are only available for 4 people, not 5 (although apparently there are a small number of interconnecting rooms available). Intuitively, it seems bizarre to me that the 2 bed apts are for smaller families not larger ones. Therefore - if you book five people, make explicitly certain what type of accomodation you are getting - it spoiled our holiday (not v. romantic, to say the least!!). One other thing - you will read from all the other reviews all the tips about emailing the hotel staff for a good room........lots of people return to this destination year-after-year.......in my view, the best rooms should be allocated on afirst-booked basis.......this is the fairest approach (which suits the "returners" as much as anyone else) and should not be a "who-can-charm-"Gloria"- the-most-via-email-lottery". Thomson should sort this out with the hotel staff asap.

With this in mind, I'll try to be objective about the remainder of the holiday...............

Nice short journey (25mins) from airport to hotel.

The hotel was clean, serving staff amiable and reasonably efficient - they certainly seemed to appreciate it if you make a small effort with hello / thanks in their language.

Airconditioning is 5 euros/day and essential, as is the 25euros/week safety box for peace of mind. All very acceptable, given that you know about this in advance.

Beds are firm, but this is exactly how I like them.

The layout of the pools is very good - sports pool (volleyball/water polo) and main pool are in the loud entertainment area, whilst a perfectly good, quieter pool is on the lawned area adjacent to the beach, separated from the loud pools by the snack bar. Therefore, you can pick and choose depending upon your mood.
I have read reviews complaining about the beach sellers and the stray dogs around the quiet pool - whilst I saw a few of each, neither really bothered me - best bet is to ignore both!
Whilst it is annoying that beds are reserved from as early as 7.00am, whenever I went out at 08.45, I always managed to find 3-5 beds adjacent to a parasol. Two beds and a parasol on the beach are 5 euros.

The entertainment area is in the basement which is apparently due to noise issues for guests. This is a major downside for the hotel, as other hotels (see Siesta Apartments in Alcudia) have great outdoor stages with adjacent bar/dining areas which really help with the fun atmosphere. The entertainment team do their utmost, but the location and absence of any evening dining facility are a big disappointment - in our experience, such a facility is a great way of making new friends and this was absent here. That said, whilst this is a spoiler for adults, the kids still really enjoy it in there.

The kids club seemed excellently organised and run - a big variety of activities for all ages withg very good staff and a good facility, covering nearly (if not every) day.

Thomson's holiday reps were a bit of a non-event. Of particular note was the new rep who had recently just started and could not tell me what the Greek words for please, thanks and good-bye were - how did he get released into Greece without just a few basic words?!?

The Thomson entertainment team were very good, particularly given the venue which is out of their control. They were adored by our kids and had lots of energy and enthusiasm. Without wanting to sound critical, they could do with a male entertainer to give the team "balance", plus they could work on lowering their collective Body-Mass-Indices, as these folks are role models for young minds (sorry if that sounded nasty girls, it's meant to be a true review, after all).

What really impressed me about the Thompson team is that they did all join in on the fun as one big team - including the swimming, stage and football coaches, which is a real credit to them all for creating that environment and team spirit.
Prices are quite high everywhere (2.5-3 euros for beer, 4 for mixers).

The various restaurants in Alykanas were all of a generally good standard. Ones which we tried, with no complaints, were: To Nostrimo, Apollo, Caretta, Posiedon, Dionisis, Cosy Corner and Vagis. The only trouble with all these places is that they are on a busy-ish dusty road. Most meals for us five came to between 55 and 80 euros, depending upon how greedy and boozy we were feeling (large beers ~3 euros, Gin and Tonic generally 4 Euros).

The Lemon Tree is a lovely spot, very reasonably priced and the horse-ride there (5 euros) really makes for a memorable evening. The Mill was slightly disappointing. It is a lovely setting on the beach and on their Greek night (18 euros/adult, 8 Euros/child) was somewhat disappointing - no token ice cream for the kids, no desert option at all, no sign of the "rum punch" as advertised, plus a trio of middle-aged Greek dancers. I was left feeling I'd overpaid (slightly ripped off) for the BBQ on the basis that I should be priviliged to eat at their lovely location.
I am amazed that no other reviews mention "Neraida" restaurant on the beach by the small harbour area. We had a lovely meal there on Friday, with there staff doing some impromptu singing and strumming as we watched the sun go down over the mountains - best place we found, by far.
In terms of trips, etc, we spent 11 days by the pool and beach. For the other days we hired a car at Xenos (make sure you see the price list, rather than get a verbal quote) and travelled to the Tsilivi Water Park which was a real pleasant surprise - nice lazy river and splash area and good mix of slides. If your kids are below, 1.4m tall, they may be restricted on some rides. Also, don't pack a lunch as you get a good snack included (burger/baguette/etc). On another day we drove down to Kiri bay and hired a motor boat for 60 euros for 3 hours and saw the Kiri caves and visited Turtle Island and did some great swimming and snorkelling - a lovely day out.
On our 3rd day of going out, we took the Golden Dolphin to the Shipwreck Beach and Blue Caves (09.30-13.30). See the girl outside the Cosy Corner for a good deal on this, leaving from Alykanas rather than getting a bus to some other harbour first.
We had a couple of bouts of food poisoning, which I attribute to one bottle of bad local wine which I bought from the mini market.

All in all, this was a good holiday location, spoilt for me by Thompson's ambiguous (deceptive!?!) accomodation description. I would generally recommend this place, recognising some of these criticisms.

5  Thank Debs186363
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Myself, husband and daughters (16 and 11) have just returned from a fortnights stay at the Village and again we were not disappointed.
Gloria and reception staff could not be more helpful our television was broken when we arrived, we reported it on the evening it was repaired following morning.
Staff in the minimarket and snack bar were always friendly taking time to talk and ask if we were enjoying our holiday.
Apartments more than adequate, large bedrooms and kitchen/dining area with balcony with either a sea or pool view, rooms were cleaned six days a week with fresh linen and towels every other day.
Some people do get up at 7am to reserve sunbeds in prime locations but beds were still available at 8.30am.
People have complained about the stray dogs on the complex, there were three dogs in total and we saw them around the pool area on three occasions. Even then they did not bother anyone, most time they just laid in the grass area's and slept and I am not a dog lover.
We ate out every night and did not have a bad meal but favourite restraunts were Posieden, Vrasikis, Vagi's and La Caretta, not only is the food fabulous and well cooked but their hospitality is second to none.
Nikos is always welcoming at DNA bar 'free shots and one for the road' definitly worth a visit, if you want a more relaxing evening Pav and Karen at Bonkers bar were always ready with a chilled glass of Rose and an ice cold Mythos , an excellent way to end the day.
If you are looking for a laid back relaxing family holiday with excellent weather,great location, fantastic food, lovely people and welcoming atmosphere this is the holiday for you .
Counting the weeks down until we return.

2  Thank Debbie H
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed at the Alykanas Village Hotel for two weeks in August and had such a lovely time. The resort is very much geared for families with children so if you are a young couple / group it is probably not for you.

Before our holiday we emailed the hotel directly and asked if we could have a room in block 100 if possible as we had read that this gave sea views and was the furthest away from the louder entertainment. On arrival we were given a room in block 400 and told that they had allocated us a room in block 100 for the following morning, Gloria the manager was very accommodating. The room in block 100 was amazing, we were first floor overlooking the sea, although if we had been in block 400 for the whole 2 weeks I would not have minded, but the sea view did make it extra lovely. The studio was spacious enough for two adults and a child, the kitchen was basic but was all we needed, the bathroom was the best I have experienced in Greece - there was even a shower head holder!

The studio and hotel generally I found to be very clean, the maids were there 6 days per week and there was at least 3 towel changes per week. The staff at the hotel including the TUI reps were all very friendly and helpful.
The hotel snack bar can get very busy during midday and there is only ever one person taking orders/serving behind the bar so the queue can get quite long, it would be good if one of the waiters could help with the orders.
Please be aware that there is only one cashpoint in the village, which was broken twice in two weeks, we had one of those cash passport cards and we found that only one of the restaurants would take this as payment, on reflection I would have taken all cash instead.
The air conditioning is a must and I think it was about 30 Euros per week. We also paid 30 Euros per week for a safe which I assumed was a deposit and we would get back on our departure, but please be aware that you don't get this back - I have never had to pay for a safe before and have always received the money back so this was disappointing.

Regarding the stray dogs, having read a lot of reviews about this I admit I was a little worried but really it wasn't a problem, there are not "loads" as some people say, I probably saw 2 or 3 per day on average, and all they wanted to do was chill out in the shade. The only incident which I didn't like was one of the dogs really didn't take a liking to the lucky lucky men (who are annoying coming up to you around the pool) and was barking at one of them, who then started trying to hit the dog with a big stick which was appalling. The man got a right dressing down from a nearby lady and went off with his tail between his legs, but I am guessing the reason the dog was barking at him in the first place is because this is the way some of them treat the dogs. If you do witness any violent behaviour towards these dogs please step in.

The hotel is a very short walk to the restaurants & bars, our favourite restaurants were Cosy Corner (amazing home cooked food) and Levantes, we tried about 10 different places over the two weeks and didn't have a bad meal. It really helps that most of the restaurants have a childrens play area. Our favourite bar was Dillema bar which has loads for the kids to do including trampoline, crazy golf, wii & nintendo, and Keith makes amazing cocktails!

Our 3 year old son really enjoyed it, he wouldn't attend the TUI 'tots' club but enjoyed the play area and football which you can see from the beach pool and so he had the freedom to go back and forth. He really enjoyed the 'pirates playaway' 1/2 day trip.
All in all, a beautiful and friendly resort which we could not fault, if you are looking for a relaxing holiday with plenty for the kids to be occupied then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Email the hotel beforehand and ask for block 100 for a sea view
1  Thank Kerry B
Reviewed August 17, 2011

We have returned from a 2 week stay in the Alykanas Village Resort (we also went last year for 2 weeks). Late July- early Aug: excellent weather, average 34 degrees. Be prepared to pay 35 Euros per week for Air Conditioning which is essential, and the safe is 25 Euros each week. Staff at reception helpful. The resort has 3 main pools for family activities, tots and sports and the beach pool next to the beach which we loved the best. Few steps down to the beach, so best of both worlds. Sandy beach, very calm and shallow for long way out, so children friendly. Did get choppy some afternoons when breeze got up, but the children loved jumping the waves!! You can hire beach towels for your stay. Ask at the reception. Money is refundable. It saves you packing your own!
Apartments were very clean.The cleaner came every day to do beds and bins and every other day to change the towels. Kitchen adequate to do toast and picnic lunches and fridge for the essential Mythos!!. Balcony safe for children. Top floor rooms had best views.
The snack bar was ok for ice creams, cold beers and the odd snack. Very clean everywhere and a safe environment for the children.
Definately recommend the Golden Dolphin boat trip to the shipwreck and the blue caves. (book from Alykanas harbour down the end- not by entrance to the resort, Same people but dearer by the entrance!) We paid 60 Euros for 2 adults, 2 children. Leave at 9.30am, return at 1.30pm best time,this way you avoid the heat and the crowds at the shipwreck!!
Souvenir shops fun in the village. Mini market on resort adequate for essentials and reasonable prices with very friendly staff.
The kids clubs are good, although ours didn't use them as much this year.
If you want traditional Greek food and ambience definately the Narada, at the end of the beach, next to the sea and they have guitar and bazouki players from 8pm (not on Sundays though). Our favourite was Ammos Snack bar, just along the beach is so relaxing, and popular with the locals. Excellent food, for snack lunches, or for main meals in the evening. Greek Salad is the best ever!!. The Mantalena is also very good, off from the main road in ther village. Head to the back of the taverna and they have an excellent children play area. Family business that makes their own wine.
The only negative thing is if you want to keep your room on beyond 10am it will cost you an extra 30 Euros. For a stress free last day- if you have have a late departure- is so worth it.
Familys return year after year to this resort, however It will spoil the tranquility of the place if they build the slides, water park next year as predicted. All in all a perfect resort for the whole family.

2  Thank Lorraine L
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed here in August 2011 in Alkynas village.
Hotel was excellant with very friendly staff and very clean rooms defiently meets our expectations.
A little stroll and you are on the beach, a little stroll and you are in the supermarket!
Apsolutely brilliant time but in the evenings not much to do their is 2 souvenir shops, 20 resturants and 4 bars very broing if you are looking to spend lots of money on your holiday!
The top resturant to go to is Cosy Corner next door to Alykans village it is all freshly cooked english food i truly reccomend the pies they are apsolutely delicious in 11 days we went their 4 times!
With excurcions book at Pegaros tours next to Letsos supermarket it is twice as cheap as Thomson.
The water park has not much slides but it is for young kids, the turtle trip was also very good and the trip to Zante night was amazing brilliant sightseeing!
I truly recommend theis hotel to anyone looking for a nice relaxing holiday and remember do not feed or touch the stray dogs walking around the hotel!
Definetly go their!