1,244 results
All reviewsthomson repskids clubalykanas villagelemon treesnack barevening entertainmentwater parkbeach poolself cateringfamily resortnext yearair conplastic cupsice creamstray dogssoft play areayoung children
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Had a great holiday this year at the Alykanas Village. Reps and entertainment team were great. We were lucky with the weather and was 30 degrees most days Beach great for kids as it is a stones throw from the apartments and the water is so shallow and goes out for miles! My children of 3 4 and 6 loved the beach and the hotels new water park. It was fantastic and would go back there just for those two reasons. The dogs mentioned in other reviews are not that bad and if yoU leave them alone they wont bother you. They were just as much on the beach as they were in the hotel. Cats are even wandering around the resteraunts in the towns, the animal thing is a greek problem not the hotels. Do have a full English at the pool snack bar it is lovely and reasonable approx 5 euro, bout what you pay here for one. The hotel should really think of a resteraunt or keeping the snack bar open longer than 6pm. Do go to the Apollo resteraunt in Alykanas very reasonable, friendly and lovely food. It was clear that some updating had been done. Fresh paint new funiture, electrics, curtains and bedding etc. While the rooms were very clean a good size ( we had a studio that slept 5) and comfortable for 2 weeks, perhaps they should think about updating the bathrooms and kitchens. The only thing that really bugged me was an unpleasant smell most of the time in the main part of the hotel. Could have been cheaper than what we paid it was sc, we paid £2000 for the first 2 weeks in may for 5 of us. Would definatley take the kids back, they loved it and didnt want to come home. I would search for better deal or leave later to book. Zante is a lovely island and the people there are very friendly.

Room Tip: If you can be put in the blocks of apartments that would be better. We were in the main building and the entertainment echoed through the rooms. There was also an unpleasant smell in the main building most of the time.
4  Thank sara_wratten
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I reviewed this hotel last year. I was very disappointed with my room then, which was a 2 bedroom appartment. This year the holiday for 2 adults 1 child and baby was only £450, so I thought I would give it a go for that bargin price. I paid £1750 the year before.

I had a studio appartment this time with cot space. The room had been refurbished to an extent and was much lighter and the decoration was better than my experience last year. The bathrooms are still old and the hob would boil water after trying to cook pasta for an hour. The refurbishment is only bedding and superficial items. The kitchen equipment and bathrooms remain unchanged. I didnt even have a tin opener. However the room was much improved from last year but still not a 4 star.

The entertainment this year was much better. Last year only about 5 families would watch the evening entertainment as it was so poor. This year there was about 20 families watching the evening shows. The rep did a singing night one evening and it was very embarrassing as she couldnt sing. Other than that the kids enjoyed the shows and dancing with Thomson the dog.

The kids club and creche was brilliant as normal.

There is a new splash pool. So there are now 5 swimming pools. The splash pool is very new so not all of it was working but it looks really good, lots of slids and sprays.

This year I decided to go running everyday and explore the area. When you are about 15 mins inland you can see how much Greece has been effected by the financial problems. Loads of hotels, bars and shops are closed down. It looks as if it has happened so quicky its spooky. Swimming pools still have the sun loungers around them and lots of rubbish floating in the pools. Its like a horror film, really sad. The Greeks always appreciate your business where ever you go. We need to continue to holiday in the area or its will also go bust.

I would definatly recommend this hotel again. However things could still be improved. Even though its a family hotel there is no ramp access from the back of the hotel to the pools and your appartment, I had to walk around to the front of the hotel everyday as my pram cannot get up steps. The hotel also they you should not reserve sun loungers. There were much less sun loungers this year and if you didnt reserve your lounger at 8am, they you wouldnt get a bed. They should purchase more sun loungers are there is plenty of space to put them.

If my 3 month old son had not been teething this would have been a great holiday and if it had not rained for 3 days.

If the price is less than £1000 then I think the hotel is good value any more than this and you would be disappointed.

There is still only 1 cashpoint in the town and this is often empty. Take plenty of cash as the next cashpoint is about a 30 min walk to the next town.

Room Tip: I request a ground floor as I had a pram and I managed to get one.
3  Thank Harding1000
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has been refurbished and you can tell a lot of money has been spent on the rooms,all nicely decorated with new beds,furniture and curtains. The kitchen was small but functional for making snacks. It did have a new kettle but a very old microwave,but at least it had one which I was greatful for travelling with a baby. The bathroom was the worst part of our room it was dark and smelt terrible. We had a grate in the middle of the floor which kept overflowing. It was a shame really as the rest of th e apartment was lovely. We had a 2 bedroomed apartment which was big enough but there was no lounge area.

We paid for a highchair which was useless,as the tray didn't move so we had to feed our baby on our knee.

I thought the maid service was poor,they came either at lunch time or late in the afternoon. Our towels were never changed,we had to ask reception for clean ones. The floors were moppedt not swept despite sand everywhere. The maids also barged in without knocking.
We stayed in May and our room was freezing so much that we had to ask for a blanket,which was given immediately.

The complex is big,with lots of pools ideal for famillies, but they were very cold even baby section . Sadly there isn't anywhere near enough loungers,this isn't helped by Brits putting towels on them and disappearing for hours and taking the pins out of the umbrellas. This is a very family oriented hotel and if you enjoy activities this is a good choice. The reps don't force you to join in if you don't want and were very friendly. We didn't use any of the kids clubs but they looked good,shame that some parents were more bothered about reading than looking after their kids that ran riot round the pool .

All in all a good holiday in a good hotel helped by fabulous weather. Definitely good for children and good facillities in the room for babies

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank jellybellykid
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Fantastic place, great location and the staff are wonderful! perfect if you have kids 3 - 11 as the kids club is great however if your child is under 3 you have to pay for any creshe service (tho they are really lovely!)
Excursions are expencive and you must pay child price for 2 year olds and over where as most places in the town offer free spots for under 3 or 4 year olds.

Certainly would go again! (though be prepared to eat minimal fruit and veg unless you buy it for your room as the restaurent seems to not be aware of these other than french fries) but this is a tiiny issue compared to the great week we had!

Room Tip: request the view, we asked for a sea view and this was perfect for us! the noice from the evening entertainment didnt reach us and the pool and sea view is simply perfect!
4  Thank natasha m
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We travelled in October lovely weather through the day but freezing at night my advice take a coat!! Complex was great had read some bad reviews before travelling so was a bit wary. Apartments are basic but clean, staff very friendly Thomson staff great with kids. Would definately go back but not in October.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family