1,245 results
All reviewsthomson repskids clubalykanas villagelemon treesnack barevening entertainmentwater parkbeach poolself cateringfamily resortnext yearair conplastic cupsice creamstray dogssoft play areayoung children
Reviewed November 21, 2017 via mobile

Completely agree with the first 2 rewiews with everything that was said from the unfriendly staff, more than useless Thompson reps, dirty rooms,old grey bathroom towels that I wouldn't use as a floor cloth,terrible food,dirty rooms, filthy sunbeds that were never cleaned. I could go on for hours worst hotel I 've ever stayed. Wrote to Thompson when we got home and they didn't want to know. How dare they air there new advert they couldn't careless about you once they have your money. Can't even give you a complimentary drink in flight. Never book with them again

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
11  Thank Jan515
Reviewed November 8, 2017

This is NOT a 4 star hotel, more like a 2 star. Thomson are knowingly mis-selling it on their web site as one of their FAMILY LIFE hotels - it ISN'T. That's not opinion its fact - the Thomson rep even told us when we were there.

Worst holiday ever and feel totally duped by Thomson. Couldn't find one other family who were enjoying themselves - Thomson you have some very unhappy customers.

Some of the issues we experienced are due to Thomson but the hotel could do a lot more to create a welcoming, warm environment for families paying a lot of money for a holiday. Most of the staff looked like they didn't want to be there and whenever we asked them anything, they kept referring us to the Thomson Rep who was only available for an hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening. When he was available to talk to, he was completely useless. I ended up having to phone the emergency Thomson 247 help line to get something done about a large aggressive dog which was roaming the restaurant most days growling at my children whilst we were trying to shovel down our food and escape without being attacked by it. Dining is a key aspect of your holiday experience and this was completely ruined.

We stayed here 7 nights in October literally wanted to fly home after 2 days. As I said, this is not a 4 star hotel. The accommodation in the original block is dated at best, basic, dirty, noisy.The bathrooms are dated. Fixtures worn out, beds worn to the metal, air con which barely covers the room, small bathrooms which have drains in the floor and smell. Towels were terrible, mould in bathroom and around the fridge. Flies in the room. You cannot flush paper down the loo so there is a bin next to the loo to put dirty paper in but the pedal doesn't work so you have to use your hand to open it - everything was unhygienic.TV in the room didn't work.

Absolutely no atmosphere whatsover. Entertainment is zero, food is average. No table service,broken arcade type games which kids couldn't use. We ended up paying to eat out last 3 nights, despite being all inclusive. The drinks were terrible. The white wine literally tasted like malt vinegar and I was not able to drink it.

On arrival we were put in a ground floor disabled room (without a bath) for some reason. When I realised this, I immediately went back to reception and asked to be moved to the correct room (a room with a bath as I have a 1 year old). The hotel owner said that she had alternative rooms available but was not allowed to move me without authorisation from Thomson. This was at 2.30pm. I was told the rep wasn't coming until 5pm but that I could phone the Thomson helpline which I did. I wanted it resolved as I wanted to get into the right room as soon as possible to unpack as I have two young kids and my husband had taken ill on the flight and was vomiting and we just wanted to unpack the cases and get settled. The Thomson helpline said that we need to wait to speak to the rep - I was not happy about that at all. At 4.30pm I met "Jack" the Thomson Rep. Now my experience of Thomson Reps is good as we are loyal Thomson holidaymakers so I was confident he would get this sorted.

The Thomson rep "Jack"'s attitude and overall demeanour was shocking. This was a young immature 21 year old only interested in finishing up his season there so he could move on. He was utterly unhelpful and I would go far as to say a complete waste of space.

He blamed Gloria the hotel owner for putting us in the wrong room. He said he would try and sweet talk her to get us moved but as it was now past 5pm, the maids were not available to clean the room they were going to move us to.

In the dinner hall, he then blamed me. He said he'd looked into our booking and I'd booked a room which said the word "shower" in the description and therefore couldn't move us.

He said there was no guarantee he could move us the next day. He didn't seem to care at all about what the implications would be for us of not having a bath with a small baby. The hotel was about 30% full so we knew there were spare rooms and the even the owner admitted it so he just couldn't be bothered and I think he was hoping we'd just go away and stop hassling him. He showed ZERO empathy for my husband who was ill in the room and didn't once ask about him.

The next day the owner came to see me and moved us to a different room with a bathroom which had a bath in it - the one I had booked. Almost 24 hours since our arrival, I was able to unpack the cases and we could settle into the room.

His welcome speech was a waste of time - he couldn't wait to get it finished and the content was no longer relevant and he hadn't been bothered to update it to reflect the changes in weather. The weather was quite chilly but in the welcome talk, he warned us of how hot the tiles can get in the heat of summer and make sure the kids didn't scold their feet jumping out of the pool - a totally unhelpful and irrelevant warning to give when we were all huddled together with jeans and hoodies on! At the end of his speech, he reminded us of his "targets" and urged us to do right by him at the end of the holiday by scoring him well. We later found out from another family that he had been heard bragging about how he'd already met his targets for the summer and couldn't wait to move onto his next placement. My score would be 0/10 and I would score him a minus if I could.

Positives:
Splash park and play park are great for the kids
Hotel is right on the beach
Alkyes village is 2 min walk and quite nice
Baby club Thomson staff were very professional and friendly

Room Tip: Request rooms in the newer blocks - starting 600 and 700.
12  Thank 689nicolan
Reviewed November 8, 2017

Visited in half term in late October. The pools were freezing as none were heated, that was known to us but you should bear this in mind if you are going this time next year.
As the hotel was closing down due to the season finishing, it was not an enjoyable experience I have to say.
I e-mailed a week before to ask about a dietary request, the e-mail went unanswered.
Moving on there was stray dogs in the hotel too and in the restaurant area nearly daily! When my wife went and asked the staff at reception she was told that they can't move the dog as it would bite them!! We then spoke to the manager and she said that she's asked Thomson to deal with it for some time. This was a known problem and had we known about it we would not have booked. Notices were put up to say Zakinthos Pest Control couldn't take the dogs in. To get the dogs out of the restaurant they were attempted to be led out by burgers and meats, by guests and not the staff!
Trips were mostly closed due to out of season, pirates cove trip was not cheap and not an enjoyable day out.
Internal play areas were dark and smelly! Kids team were okay and tried hard but the families that were there at the end all wanted to leave, we would have too if we had the option.
Our 4.5 year old was really bored and kept on wanting to go home. With better weather he would have had a better time but the hotel should attempt to do something to keep their guests entertained. Only thing we could look forward too was meal breaks and they were tiresome too, the food options just got smaller and smaller as the hotel was getting ready to close down. The chefs did cook for us specially due to our dietary requirements which was very nice of them. I feel sorry for the staff as they tried their best but were let down by the management and Thomsons!

Room Tip: Block 1 has sea views
4  Thank nadeemchaudary
Reviewed October 27, 2017 via mobile

We wanted a summer holiday and chose this hotel from its reviews and from the pictures from thomson website.
We arrived mid morning and was greated by the receptionist who was very friendly and polite, but we were given a piece of paper with a plan of the hotel and highlighted on it was our apartment...I found this abit odd but we found our room ok. The room itself as so clean and tidy and quite spacious. We had the view to die for overlooking the sea which was fantastic. There are a few pools , there's 2 toddler pools a big pool that's not too deep and a smaller pool near the beach that's abit deeper and the splash park. The splash park is fab for children my daughter loved it alot. There's a snack bar that serves drinks and hot snacks ie hotdogs and burgers at selected times ...the staff at the bar were very friendly and efficient. There isn't a selection of drinks included in the all inclusive but after speaking to one of the barman they have tried to get the hotel to add more but they won't.
Now my only two criticism are the food and the entertainment, the food isn't the best there looks alot of choice but there very simular and it's not the best tasting but we have always managed to find somthing. The entertainment isn't the best as there isn't much .. there's a mini disco for the kids that starts at 8.15 and ends 9pm then that's it. This is a shame as this hotel has do much potential but unfortunately the reps can only do what there allowed to do.
A huge plus is kids club it's brilliant and every session is themed and the Children make some lovely pictures. The staff at the kids club work so hard and it pays off.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank Rebecca G
Reviewed October 26, 2017

We recently stayed here as a group of 7, 2 families with children from 2-6 yrs.

Fab hotel right on the beach, very clean & tidy, rooms spacious, bathrooms very dated & tired with a grotty drain cover in the middle of the floor, nearly all rooms overlook the pool which is great!

One buffet restaurant with a good choice of foods, again all very clean & tidy.
Snack bar by pool open from 10am with drinks, ice cream & sandwiches, then serves hot snacks from 12.30pm

Pools are fab! so many to choose from & in Oct we had it all to ourselves, fab time to go & nice & warm too! all fairly shallow too, apart from the one nearest the beach that was a bit deeper, beach is beautiful crystal clear water, all nice & sandy too & little fish swimming about too. We also hired a boat from Valais boat hire on the beach which I would recommend, we made some rolls up at breakfast & took a few bottles of water with us, perfect!

Not much going on outside of the hotel, think most of the shops & restaurants were closing for the season, we ate out 3 times once at Elia Elia restaurant, & twice at our favourite Apollo restaurant, amazing Greek kebabs, Gyros & souvlaki!

There are a couple of stray dogs running about Alykanas, the staff in the hotel have no control of them going where they like, one of them was quite big & would stroll about where it pleased, one morning coming into the buffet restaurant & sniffing at our table, its best to ignore them as when people tried to remove it, it got cross & snapped a couple of times! A shame really, as it needed to be caught or something, especially with children running about you just don't know how unpredictable they can be!

Also in the reception area of the hotel it stunk of stale smoke which was strange as no ash trays on the tables inside only outside, & no one smoking inside, we then discovered that the office to the side of Reception was where an older lady member of staff smokes, the door would open & it was like a smoke screen, such a shame, it gave a few of us headaches!

Evening entertainment is practically non existent, a couple of kids discos in eve 2 nights of week & thats it, we aren't particularly a fan of entertainment usually but we all realized how nice it would've been in the background, we were going to bed at 9pm most eve as everyone was bored!
Also an animation team during the day would be good, i've been to smaller hotels with more effort & things going on, my 2 children love seeing the animation team in places, & joining in activities by the pool so to have this here would be a real bonus.

All in all we throughly enjoyed our trip to Alykanas Village & would return again!

4  Thank Newboldsgoabroad