If you are looking for a truly original Panama Adventure and you don't have days to trek up the coast and into the jungle you should definitely take a close look at Captain Carl's adventure lodge just outside of Panama City.
A few reasons why we loved our stay.
1) From Casco Viejo, Panama to the jungle lodge it was all of 1 hour travel time.
2) It is ridiculously secluded and beautiful location.
3) Captain Carl is one of the few great adventurers who has exceptional stories, great knowledge of the jungle, and patient enough to share his experiences with anyone that asks (Even though he's been asked 1000s of times i'd guess..)
4) There's plenty to do or nothing to do. Completely your call!
5) He stocks plenty of good rum.
6) He stocks plenty of good rum and drinks it with you and then hunt crocodiles at night!
As someone that has been to more than my fair share of places and had some really cool experiences along the way, our weekend with Captain Carl is on the short list of must do travel. We will definitely be back next winter.
Thanks again Carl! Eric & Kristen
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our floating lodge is the most unique all inclusive in Panama. A stay with us includes all meals, beverages, touring, and activities on the lake. Activities include swimming, fishing, kayaking, and hiking, .. or you can just relax in the hammock lounge. The lodge is anchored in a secluded cove of lake Gatun of the Panama Canal. We are surrounded on all sides by a tropical forest teaming with exotic birds, plants, and animals. Huge ocean going ships transit the canal not far away. Come live a true adventure in the cross roads of the world. ... more less