All reviewsroman ruinsthrough grouponwedding plannerwedding breakfastbridal suitefollowing morningfull englishnight's sleepcooked breakfastvenueshropshirewrekinconservatorycountrysidediscollamas
Reviewed October 31, 2017

Me and my husband got married here in February. If this is what you are going here for then it will be a great experience! They do everything they can to make your day special. The hotel grounds are lovely and there are a few nice country pubs close
and some Roman ruins. The hotel itself is really nice -
apart from the rooms. This is a big issue which I was told they are looking to upgrade. My guests were really unhappy with what they got for the price they paid for a room there. The bridal suite and 3 other rooms next to it are really nice but the rest of them all need a major renovation. Apart from this everything else is great! I would highly recommend this a wedding venue but not just a hotel you would stay in for the weekend - you can get more for your money elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms next to the bridal suite (only 4 rooms are modern and renovated at the moment)
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank stakiboo
Reviewed October 25, 2017

Recently stayed at this hotel for my daughter's wedding.
Staff at reception had a fixed "I have to do this smile" on arrival. Although we were part of the wedding party we could not check into our room until after the wedding ceremony - although they told us there were rooms that had not been sold the previous night and so were ready.
When my daughter was ready to go down to the ceremony the "wedding organiser" bustled us out of the room where my daughter and bridesmaids had got ready instructing us to leave all of our possessions in there. This was our handbags, jewelry, phones, etc., etc. after the ceremony we found that somebody had moved everything to the "bridal suite" (room with a double poster bed). Reception were reluctant to give us the key to the room but when we did get in we found that all of our valuables, clothes and bags had been mixed together and pretty much dumped for us to sort out.
The food was nice! The bar staff eccentric I think you'd call it.
Other guests (nothing to do with wedding) kept walking through the bar in their pyjamas during wedding reception to go outside to smoke.
Our bed room was down a corridor at the back of the hotel which felt like staff quarters. I found that a fire door in the corridor had been left propped open with a chair - no sign of staff about so don't know how long it had been left like that (yes I closed it). You'll notice that there are not photos on the website of the standard rooms and family rooms (no prices shown either). The room was dingy and dark (and cold). The beds were lumpy (you could see the lumps through the sheets) and the pillows were way past their best. There was just a shower - no bath. The "views over the Wrekin" were there but not from a window that you could sit at and admire them from.
Breakfast was adequate (though sparse). The waitress was getting orders wrong even though she was writing them down and came back to ask us twice about our eggs. Cereal was CocoPops, Rice Crispies or Weetabix. Juice was orange. We were told that she would bring us a selection of toast (white and wholemeal) no choice. It was cold and we joked that it was probably recycled around the tables. No sauces offered. No check that we were OK. Had far better breakfasts in basic B&Bs.
In room WiFi... hit and miss - depends which corner you stand in. Kicks you out every few minutes and you have to log on again.
All in all the Travelodge that we stayed in at Bayston Hill (Dobbies Roundabout on A5) the night before the wedding was far better value (at £39) and a nicer (bigger) room. At more than £100 a night for my younger daughter and me, I thought that it'd be something special... it wasn't!
Take a look through the reviews... can't see a single management response so don't know whether they're hiding from them or aren't interested. They make enough money from weddings!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank CadairViewLodge
Reviewed September 24, 2017 via mobile

(Regarding having a wedding here) The wedding planning staff kept us guessing at times and wondering if we would even have a wedding, this is of no fault to the hotel but unfortunately just due to staff that kept leaving. The cost to rent out there wedding props were near shocking. The day went well so I can’t complain in the end. (General) The food provided for main, desert, night buffet and breakfast were all impressive. The building is in a very secluded spot near roman ruins. 2-3 miles from any other Motel. Ok view of the Shropshire countryside. In the old building the rooms are HUGE with on suite. The dance floor room and dining room are more than sufficient. I didn’t really see the new build to comment on the rooms.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Aaron M
Reviewed September 18, 2017 via mobile

Very nice hotel, good size rooms, clean and pleasant. Only disappointment was that we were the only guests so the restaurant wasn't open in the evening. However there are a couple of local pubs that served food. The breakfast was very substantial. My wife had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, a very large portion. I had a full English.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Malc-H-1
Reviewed September 1, 2017 via mobile

Stayed hear over night bit pricey but very clean & the food is fantastic we had a three course meal & breakfast the next morning the vineyard is not to far away its a 10 minute walk but there is nothing else to do

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple