All reviewscommunal areassmall villageout of seasonfresh orange juiceancient olympialovely hotelapolloguesthousetsipouroorganicwalnutspeloponnesewholesomemountainsproductsgreekaccommodation
Reviewed October 29, 2014 via mobile

It is a very beautiful guesthouse in a unique location ( Abeliona ) with special energy , where you can find peace. The people in the guesthouse give you the sense that they invite you at their home. The food is very tasteful and it is biological too.

• Stayed: October 2014
Reviewed October 20, 2014

We first visited the guesthouse Epohes a couple of years ago with my wife during our regular annual Peloponnesian tour. I never considered writing a review (mistakenly), but after our recent trip to Epohes this year, it was the righteous thing to do for this one.
I don't know where to start! The surroundings, the picturesque village, the architecture of each guesthouse, the astonishing rooms, the fireplace near the bed. There’s just something about this guesthouse…
And also the personnel. The rare-nowadays polite, helpful and friendly personnel! They love what they do, they love this village and they pass it on to you. The delicious breakfast with fresh eggs from their own chicken coop and fresh vegetables from (again) their own greenhouse! You can’t help feeling part of the nature, feeling overwhelmed, relaxed and never want to leave this place.
I recommend it with all my heart.
Bia, Dhora and Irini, we thank you for our loving stay and we’ll be back very soon in Abeliona.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BernardMuller74
Reviewed February 20, 2014

I am afraid I can't share the enthusiasm expressed by other fellow travellers. Perhaps we just caught it at a bad time and the people who loved it visited the place under different circumstances .Let me explain. February is obviously off season so they had opened just three or four rooms and left the rest closed , including the common ares that were cold, uninviting and miserably lit. When we checked into our room and found it disappointing compared to the nice photos in the internet, we politely asked if they could show us another one but the answer was a rather blunt no. Shortly afterwards I realised there was no hot water.Not wanting to spoil our evening over this we decided to go for a walk ; as we were leaving I asked the lady in charge to check it so that we could have a shower later . Guess what ? Two hours later the situation was unchanged . No need to get into details now , the technician fixed it in the end but the case is that they didn't check it when I told them and they didn't even bother to find some (even false) excuse just for the shake of appearances. Luckily the dinner - included in the weekend price - was fine and plentiful and the wine of good quality. Which was just as well because otherwise we would have starved. Ambeliona is a nice little village but unfortunately it is terribly far away from anything else you might want to see or do in the area . Stemnitsa, for example, is at least 1and 1/2 hours away and Dimitsana 2 hours. If anyone wishes to visit this part of the Peloponese they should choose one of these as they offer more choices in everything: accomodation, activities ( the Lousios river is near) dining, coffee etc. Things would certainly look better in spring time or autumn when nature is at its best but this time of year the whole picture is rather gloomy with barren trees , harsh mountains and hardly any people around. Of course I can't blame the hotel for choosing the wrong time and place!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank atravelcat
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I was really keen on visiting this country style hotel since it was built, around 2005, but never managed to organize it. So when we decided, together with other two families to go for a relaxation trip to mountainous Peloponnese I thought that this was the time to visit this estate. The hotel is actually a group of country style two-store stone buildings with single and double room apartments. The atmosphere is really cozy and fit to the environment, an abandoned village that was renovated mainly due to the efforts of the owner of the hotel. The apartments are spacious and welcome with nice but simple decoration, very clean and full heating. No fancy furniture and designer's objects makes the rooms even more friendly, since all you need is a traditional settlement for a family with small kids. We were provided with ample woods for the fireplace and a welcome drink and sweets. The common areas are equally well preserved and clean and, most important, can accommodate many group of visitors. A special room designed for the kids adds to the relaxation of the parents as well as the many outdoor areas where the kids played for hours and worry-free, since the complex is not close to any main road. The in-house facilities include also a restaurant with a limited but very traditional cuisine, based mainly on meat, where we offered also a decent breakfast. The staff is doing their best to make our staying enjoyable and one can easily tell that it is trained as a big hotel staff (the owner of Epohes is also the owner of the Aldemar hotels chain). In overall, the guys there indeed know how to treat their guest, the services offered are of a high quality and the place is a must go for anyone seeking a country style vacation. Our sole complaint was that the kitchen, attached to the restaurant, has ventilation issues and our cloths had always this distinctive odor of cooked food.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank spirot69
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had an incredible time at this hotel. Great bedrooms, total silence, view on the mountains, heart-warming hotel manager. In the room were displayed some tsipouro and local nuts, everyday, plus impeccable internet wi-fi, which means I could feel totally out of the world and in the same time follow up everything happening at the office.
What to say about the dinner: delicious homy Greek cooking, new menu everyday and good organic wine.
The location is perfect to organize many different excursions. The best was certainly the 6 hour walk (back and forth) to the Lykaia, archeological remains of a game compound at 1200 meter height on mount Lykaios, the sacred summit of the Arcadians. Our manager indicated us the path in the mountain. The other excursion was to the temple of Apollon in Bassae, there we took the car.
The nature is so beautiful, walnut, plane and apple trees everywhere, and so many springs...
I can't wait to go back. I recommend early October as a very convenient time for those who are not too familiar with mountains (my case).

Room Tip: All bungalows are ideally situated for a perfect view, choose not to go too high on the cliff
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends