Charleston Lake Provincial Park
Review Highlights
Beautiful Family Park

When near Charleston Lake make sure you visit the park. Good for a picnic. Great for the kids. And... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Lynn N
Ottawa, Canada
Beautiful Park!

We camped for 2 weeks in September 2017. The hiking trails are fantastic, filled with lots and lots... read more

Reviewed October 16, 2018
Kamie D
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

All reviews lake provincial park comfort station great spot hiking trails poison ivy island trail bon echo off season get away great for kids few years take advantage saturday night crystal clear water bass swimming area centennial trail
Reviewed January 24, 2018 via mobile

We always enjoy our camping at Charleston lake. The fishing is really good as well. I've caught many bass from the lake over the years. The park is kept very clean and the staff are great.

Date of experience: August 2017
2  Thank DebbyGreffe
Reviewed October 7, 2017

Great for canoeing and swimming, water is super clear, very quiet, beautiful views. Has camp-grounds, bike trails, trailer camps and lots of islands. A lot of people go stargazing here, theres little light pollution so its a great spot!

4  Thank Sofiya F
Reviewed October 2, 2017

If you have just enough time for a trail, this is the best one. We were able to see where the natives used to live. They sheltered under the rocks. Nearby they had a lake for fishing and cleaning their clothes.

We even saw a homestead that fell apart. All that remained of it were stones.

I enjoyed this trek immensely. I loved to see how people used to live in the past. A must see!

We enjoyed other trails there too. I especially liked the Shoreline Centennial Trail. However, these were great as well: Hemlock Ridge Trail and the Beech Woods Trail

Date of experience: July 2017
2  Thank Robby G C
Reviewed October 1, 2017

This is a very well maintained park with a wonderful staff and lots to see and do! Great kayaking especially for beginners and there are many islands and outcroppings to put in for a swim or a picnic

Reviewed September 25, 2017

We were just here for 3 nights. We are seasoned campers, and we were camping Thursday - Sunday end of September.

No one was there when we pulled into the park and wanted to get our camping spot. (4pm Thursday). At other parks there are "park hosts" you can go to, to check in, buy wood, etc. Not here. There were no maps either so driving around was hard. There is an area of the camp ground (Meadowlands) that is first come first serve. (Sign set up we saw while driving around). This was really nice for us, as we didn't have a reservation. We stayed there.
Bathrooms were more modern than Bon Echo & Algonquin. Very clean. Same terrible toilet paper though. Shower pressure was more of a mist. Some naughty kids made a mess in the men's bathroom Saturday night. My boyfriend said toilet paper was stuck all over the ceiling.
We did 2 hikes. One had caves and really cool scenery. 2.6km hike. I found some parts very difficult. My thin nikes were proving not to be that great. The other hike 1.6km. Bugs were bad on this one as there was a marsh there. We saw a beaver dam on this hike.
We used the boat launch and went fishing, boating and swimming. We saw a beaver. We pulled up to an island but sadly couldn't go swimming off it. There were mussels all over the rocks which will slice your foot open. We forgot to bring our water shoes. I suggest bringing them if you're going to island hop. Also, it's very easy to get lost on the water. All the islands look the same!! We got lost twice. We left our boat at the docks and it was fine.
We had issues with this one female park ranger on Saturday. We have NEVER had issues with park rangers at any other parks. She was clearly on a power trip and kept telling us not to do what we were doing. She said we had to move our truck at 8am Saturday. No one was at the sites around us (again it's off season & park wasn't busy). We had another couple camping with us, 2 tents, 1 food tent, bikes, a van & a truck. It was a tight fit. We had parked the truck on the other side of the road. She told us to move it. She also told us to take our boat trailer off our truck and leave it where boats are docked. What does that matter? Then later she drove her parks truck in front of us blocking us in and got out, like a police officer. She walked up to our window. She asked if we were camping here, asked our site number then asked if we had seat belts, and treated us like naughty kids. (For the record I'm 31). I didn't appreciate her attitude. We weren't speeding or being stupid. This was totally uncalled for. She put a damper on our day.
We went to the beach later. It's nice but swimming area is small, like other parks. View is beautiful though.
The discovery centre was only open 2-4 Saturday. The time seems odd. That's prime beach/boating time. I wish it was open in the evening or morning. We didn't get to go.
Over all we would return. I do suggest going here. I would have liked to have biked more and gone on more trails.

1  Thank trixyt