“We made olive oil !!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Culture Discovery Vacations - Day Tours

Culture Discovery Vacations - Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Half and full day cooking classes, winery excursions, olive mill tastings, and sightseeing excursions through Lazio, Tuscany & Umbria year round. All days start and end right in Soriano nel Cimino's main piazza.
Hicksville, New York, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“We made olive oil !!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

This tour exceeded all expections, it is very well run, they know their niche and they just do it very very well. You can check their website for details, but that will not tell you how they oriented the tour group on the first night at a meeting in town, and an all out dinner later. They set the tone for the rest of the tour, and it was awesome. When you look at their website you can be assured that it is all real, they know what they are doing, and if you go on one of their tours it will probably be the greatest trip of your life, because it was for me.

1 Thank Michael H

Lake Worth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“The most amazing experience of a my life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My dream trip of a lifetime. Each day packed with one amazing adventure after another. I could not have seen or experienced as much as I did, on my own. The was my first trip to Italy and I felt as though I belonged there. I had my own apartment, and experienced life as an Italian. This was NOT a tourist trip.... it truly was a Culture Discovery and in my opinion, the only way to immerse yourself in a country. A small group of about 18 plus wonderful, knowledgeable, fun guides and teachers. We learned to cook family meals, there were many wine tastings, excellent restaurants, and day trips to other cities and regions. Transportation included, gave time for the group to become friends. Money well spent. Planning my next trip to visit my new Italian family. The hardest part is picking the week, as each and every one promises a unique experience. Grazie! Grazie! Michael, Paola and the Culture Discovery team for a truly life changing experience!

1 Thank JAJofFLA
San Diego, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fantastic Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

My daughter turned 50 and we wanted to go back to Italy, but didn't want to see the typical tourist attractions. We wanted to "experience" Italy. We checked out renting apartments and day tripping, and many other types of Italy vacations. I discovered Culture Discovery after many hours & days of searching. CDV had everything we wanted. A small group, some cooking classes, going to other local villages for sightseeing , eating in a private home, eating at wonderful local restaurants, having our own apartment, (ours was right in the Soriano nel Cimino Piazza and was newly renovated.) and, not have to have our suitcases at the front door by 6am. Michael and Paolo treated us like family and our group was fantastic! All of us remain friends and hope to go on another trip together. Our experience was one of the best vacations we have ever had. The food we learned to cook were "mama's recipes", and we make them for our families. You will not be disappointed in a CDV!!!

Visited June 2011
1 Thank mrdpbd
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“As my wife said "Best Trip Ever"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

My wife and I are world travelers, we have done Europe several years in a row via cruises. My wife never really travelled until we got married. After all of our travels, it became apparent to me that food and culture were 2 things we enjoyed about traveling abroad. For her 30th birthday, I was looking for ideas and came across Culture Discovery. After review of the site and talking with Michael, we booked the trip. We thoroughly enjoyed the staff, being in the culture from all facets from living in the town of Soriano to cooking with Carla and Rita. The staff made the trip very easy with regard to the itineraries, handling transportation to and from the airport, luggage, etc. This trip was very relaxing, educational, cultural, and fun. We met great people and really enjoyed cooking, wine drinking, and olive harvesting. As we got off the plane back in the States, my wife said this was her "best trip ever." We will be back next year.

2 Thank Brian B
Erie, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An unforgettable, incomparable vacation experience that has given Italy a permanent place in our hearts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

My husband and I visited with several other couples from my family in September. The two months since our return has given me the perspective to truly reflect on what a unique and extraordinary experience Culture Discovery provides.

I read about how we'd be made to feel like family on our trip, and I didn't truly understand it until I experienced it firsthand. Believe me, it isn't just clever marketing. We were welcomed into the home of Michael and Paola (the main villa where all the cooking classes took place) and were made to feel completely comfortable and welcomed by sincere and warm Italian hospitality. Culture Discovery’s open-door, family-style approach of “the more the merrier” made a significant impression on me, and is something I’m making a concerted effort to replicate in our home and lives back in the States.

The CD staff is an international motley crew and is simply outstanding. The genuine passion and authenticity that they each impart made the trip even more unforgettable.

Our favorite part of the trip was by far the time spent at the villa during the cooking classes. I love to cook, and my husband just loves to eat; we were both more than pleased. The setting in the villa was comfortable and not overly structured. I’d compare it to the feeling of preparing big holiday meals with your own family – snacking, drinking wine and laughing along the way. I have already used many of the recipes we learned back home, to great results!

We also loved the day trips, and found learning more about the history of Italy and the region really enhanced our trip. You don’t have to participate in all of the excursions, but you definitely should to get the most value out of the trip. A word to the wise: if your vacations typically revolve around relaxing and lounging beachside (ours usually do, my husband is from Maui) this trip will exhaust you. This is fine, because you’ll be amazed by how much you can pack in to one week, but be ready for it.

One other lesson we learned: do plan to pack enough for an entire week. CD materials will tell you not to. You should still pack as lightly as possible, but do not plan to be able to do laundry. Some of the village homes have washing machines, but others don’t. Ours didn’t, and we opted to use the local laundry service in town, which turned out to be very expensive. Not a big deal, but good to know.

You will be absolutely blown away by the amount of food and wine you consume during the week. We were worried that the “all inclusive” title wouldn’t truly turn out that way, especially with booze, but boy were we wrong. We ate and drank ourselves silly – and every last bite and drop was delicious.

I have recommended this trip and Culture Discovery to countless people since our return, and already look back on it with such nostalgia that I know I’ll simply have to return for another visit with them at some point – perhaps in one of their new locations as they expand.

Visited September 2011