See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We loved how the central building patio has a view over the ocean to the east, and the lagoon to the west, nightly dinner at the superb restaurant by sunset!

We adored it but by our fourth night in the wind-whipped tent we were ready to move on, we were humid and salty, gave up on showering since the showers are brackish. Not complaining though, it's just not a luxury experience. We love how low-impact it is, this is the future of tourism.

We heard it's been purchased by some Argentinians. Congrats to them and I hope that it continues to be run with eco-integrety and that the staff are treated with what they deserve. Please continue to honestly review this place if you come here since it has just changed ownership. It's a precious, beautiful place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vincent d
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Spent four nights at Cesiak and had a really unique experience. Cesiak is made up of a grouping of tents that sit on a bluff that extends between a beach and a protected lagoon. It takes a while to get to (we took a taxi from the Cancun airport) so you really feel like you are at the end of the earth. The sand on the beach is pink from the bits of ground up shell though there is some garbage that has collected on the beach so it can't quite be called unspoiled. The wind blows hard and the sea can be rough so nights are loud but the sounds are all nature - no cars, no TV - no electricity for that matter, so bring flashlights and headlamps. I didn't sleep particularly well, but saw moonrise and sunrise so no complaints. I caught up on my sleep later in the trip! There is a modern restaurant on site and the food and service are excellent so we spent a lot of time just hanging out there, reading and playing games with an amazing view from three stories, including a rooftop deck. This is one of the only places that I have ever been where I could see both sunrise and sunset clearly every day! There are communal bathrooms, showers and sinks which worked out fine, but I didn't realize until the second day that the showers are brackish water which explains why I never really felt clean...This is certainly not the place for everyone, but we all enjoyed it and feel like it was the perfect place to de-stress. Very remote and beautiful. We also took the lagoon tour and loved it, especially seeing the roseate spoonbills and floating down the canal on the current in the clear blue water. A very hard trip to replicate anywhere else.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the tents right on the beach and the views of the sunset and sunrise were amazing but it was also quite loud. Tents off the beach are probably quieter and less windy.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We stayed March 1-5 at CESIAK with friends for a dance retreat in cabana ! on the north side of the main building. A small flashlight helps if you get up in the night. The wind felt strong when we arrived but we quickly got used to it. There are two supermarkets in Tulum, the San Francisco which is like a medium size grocery and another on the beach road more like a small K or Wal Mart with a pharmacy. A bucket bought there saves a night walk back to the lodge. There are a number of tables on the second floor of the lodge for breakfast or lunch out of the wind with a great view of the lagoon. The cabanas are cleaned every day. We kept the side windows down for the breeze at night. We had a double bed and a single, both very comfortable - not as hard as some Mexican beds. The staff is friendly and helpful without being cloying. The food is good and reasonable. The beer is 30 pesos, standard rate. I was introduced to Victoria beer and liked it very much. Lock boxes with padlock and key are in the entrance hall. We kept toothbrush there as well as money. Large contained of purified water helped us keep our water bottles filled. We took the lagoon and floating-down-the-fresh-water excursion with trip to bird island and really enjoyed it. The dining room downstairs has a mural of Mayan culture with a roseate spoonbill front and center and we saw many of them at Bird Island.

Room Tip: We liked Room One north of the main building.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We stayed at Cesiak for two nights and were excited about getting a nice tent cabin, with balcony, on top of the dune overlooking the beach and water. We were less excited as the days wore on and the incessant wind was making our tent flap, flap, flap, all day and night. The zipper on our tent was broken and with the wind pushing at the "door" it made for awkward entries and exits. The location is fantastic though and we had no problem with being without electricity. There were some tent cabins that seemed more sheltered from the wind, so I am sure not everyone will have the same experience. If I had gone into this vacation knowing what I know now, I would have planned a late afternoon trip to Cesiak - enjoying the beautiful views from the top of their main building and having a delicious and reasonably priced candlelit dinner with friendly staff. Then I would want to go back to a quieter location, not so high on the dune and in the wind...
As another reviewer mentioned, I was taken aback by the pricing structure. We were given a price of $70USD but if paying by credit card, it could only be charged in pesos - and the exchange rate which they seemed to have arbitrarily decided was not very favorable (1:13.5 instead of 1:12.5).
Also, a lot of other reviewers mention a long drive down a pot-hole filled road. Perhaps because we had read reviews in advance of our trip we were expecting the worst. As it was, the road was certainly dusty and occasionally washboard-y but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I think it took us less than 20min from entering the reserve to get to Cesiak.

Room Tip: Our windy cabin was #4 - a more sheltered one near us was #5.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We spent 3 nights at the Cesiak lodge In January 2012. I think it is wonderful alternative to the far too hip and trendy accommodations in the bungalows in Tulum. While the tent cabanas are indeed basic, they are spotlessly clean and beautifully situated. The bathrooms are not private - they are shared and are also kept very clean. The showers and tap water are well water and therefore slightly salty. You are so close to the water that the waves and wind are very loud - light sleepers be forewarned

The best part about the place is the awe-inspiring view of the water. You are perched on the top of a high sand dune and look down on the beach and the waves. When you are at the restaurant at the lodge, you have terrific views of the Caribbean and the beautiful mangrove estuary. The sunsets were incredible.

We did very little but enjoy the beach - we walked for miles in both directions and rarely saw another soul. The lodge has a couple of boogie boards which we took advantage of on a daily basis. We also took the excellent mangrove/bird tour that is offered by Cesiak. It was great. We had a fantastic time floating through the mangrove channels in pristine clear water and saw plenty of birds!

The restaurant and bar were quite basic but the limited menu was well planned and the food was very good. The ceviche was some of the best I have had in Mexico.

Be forewarned that the beach is not like a resort beach that is raked every day. It is wild and natural and that included big clumps of seaweed along with flotsam and jetsam that washes up along the shore. Also the road from the entrance to the Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve to the lodge is about 5 km of very rough washboard with huge potholes. We made it in a basic rental car but were not inclined to go back out for meals in Tulum. We stayed at the lodge the entire time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple