All reviews private island on stilts unique experience lobster unique paradise amazing getaway rescued monkeys local staff small fans an amazing host my favorite part away from the hustle and bustle a special place bat cave three days great fun highlight of our trip
Reviewed January 4, 2017

My wife found Urraca online and after reading the reviews she booked our trip there. While she had read everything she could find and had looked at tons of photos, I hadn't really paid a lot of attention to where we were going. Since it was our honeymoon, we knew we wanted something intimate. We wanted to go somewhere we could fish, snorkel, and eat fresh seafood. Francine's place delivered on all of this and more. Just the boat ride to the island was spectacular, the aqua blue waters and mountains in the backdrop were a breathtaking combination. As the huts came into view, I realized just how isolated and private this resort was. With only five huts, we definitely had the intimate, private honeymoon we had wished for. We were greeted immediately at the dock by Francine and a couple of the monkeys, who immediately wanted to inspect the newcomers. Francine is warm and friendly and has a sparkle in her eye. She speaks French, Spanish, and English, with French being her native language and the language she uses to communicate with the monkeys.
While there, we went spear fishing, snorkeling, and canoeing. One day we took a boat in to Bocas Town to explore the shops and restaurants. Mostly we enjoyed just relaxing at Urraca with Francine and monkeys. The food was incredible. All of it was fresh from sea and perfectly prepared and presented. I can't think of a vacation where we ate as much delicious food as we did in Urraca.
Francine has created an amazing place, where guests can immerse themselves in the natural surroundings. The water is crystal clear and the temperature was perfect for taking a dip to cool off or to snorkel. We were surprised that there were no bugs on the island and no need for mosquito nets in the huts. We literally didn't see any bugs the entire time we were there. It was cool at night with the doors to the hut open and the breeze off the ocean. There were also two small fans in our hut. We were extremely comfortable.
The only negative thing about our stay was having to leave.
I cannot say enough good about Urraca, or Francine and Elisia. We left there feeling we had made new friends and can't wait to go back to see them. This was definitely a vacation I will never forget.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zatsea
Reviewed December 5, 2016

We were fortunate to spend 4 nights at Urraca and wish we had stayed for our entire vacation. Upon our arrival in Bocas Del Toro, her boat captain was waiting for us as promised and took us on a very scenic ride to the island. It was a truly wonderful experience. Words are difficult to find for such an amazing slice of paradise among the mangroves. Francine was warm and thoughtful and the food was incredible. I have severe food allergies and she and her staff took great care to make sure that my needs were met. Fresh fish, crabs, and lobster were harvested daily by the locals. The food was as good as any 5 star restaurant, but it was her primates who stole our hearts. The squirrel monkeys were the playful adventurers and a capuchin fell in love with my boyfriend. The feeling was mutual. It was a tearful departure. We are already planning our next trip back next spring.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2016

We only went for a day trip to see the monkeys, but next time we will stay for longer. The monkeys, mangrove, and Francine were amazing. Francine was a lovely hostess who shared her little bit of paradise with us. A wonderful experience. I would highly recommend visiting.

Room Tip: You are in the middle of the Caribbean on a mangrove, so every room has an amazing view.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2016

It was a complete privilege to stay at Urraca and get to know Francine, the wonderful host. Her hospitality is truly heartwarming and she will make your stay completely memorable through phenomenal meals made from local ingredients (often pulled directly out of the ocean mere hours before it's on your plate), and her deep knowledge of the surrounding communities and activities. Most importantly, she has rescued 11 monkeys and is working hard on building a permanent sanctuary for them nearby. Your stay will help support these efforts, and it is moving and magical to get to know the monkeys there. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2016

Food: excellent. Ambience: magical. Service: fantastic. What can I say? Francine and the local staff and the monkeys (!!!) combine to make this one of the most amazing vacations I've ever had. You will never regret it.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends