All reviews homemade biscuits the pub car park quiet village salisbury plain friendly bar exploring the area catch of the day scrambled eggs and smoked salmon an extensive menu fabulous food friendly place to stay fantastic evening meal chicken breast steep stairs plenty of hot water beer garden
Reviewed April 1, 2018

We were due to be in the area on Easter Sunday and were struggling to find a dog friendly pub/restaurant for Sunday lunch. Having contacted "Visit Wiltshire", we were recommended the Green Dragon at Market Lavington and were NOT disappointed. We chose to have halloumi with chilli dip as a starter, but only went for two portions which we shared among four (the fifth person in our group didn't want a starter!). We then opted for three roast lamb, one roast beef and one hunter's chicken. Each meal was well cooked and presented but, most of all, the food was hot! For those having Sunday roast the meat was ample and there were generous servings of freshly cooked local vegetables too. Unlike some other places we have visited, there was a sense of this being a home-cooked Sunday lunch... just like my wife and I both remember our respective mothers cooking when we were young. We chose not to order desserts, but this was only because one of my daughters had already prepared something for when we arrived home later in the day, but have little doubt that the desserts would be just as good as the starters and main courses that we thoroughly enjoyed. We certainly plan to return to the Green Dragon when we are next in the area and may even think about staying a night or two in the B&B section too.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2018

Rooms - Excellent, comfy and clean
Food - Superb! Good choice, very tasty.
Staff - Friendly and accommodating
Beer - Brilliant
Village - Beautiful
Quiz - Difficult!

I was recently fortunate enough to be put up at the Green Dragon for 3 nights while working in the area, this was over a weekend and into the week. The staff were very accommodating keeping the kitchen open late and facilitating early breakfasts for our antisocial working hours. We dined there all 3 nights and found the menu to have good choice and the food to be excellently presented and very tasty!

The staff were all friendly and kept the fire stoked through the snowy night. If you have the fortune of being there on a Monday evening the quiz was great fun and the locals were all friendly to outsiders.

The rooms were great, spacious and clean with nice touches like hand made biscuits. They had all the mod cons expected and the bathroom was clean and to a high finish and the beds were very comfortable.

If I find myself in the area again I would most definitely stay at the Green Dragon or even swing by for bite to eat.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2018

lovely friendly and warm public house, if passing would I go there again ? YES. Menu looked good with a variety of specials on offer at reasonable prices although I did not eat there this time. Good selection of wines larger and real ales.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed March 17, 2018 via mobile

Quick check-in to a wonderful large room in the converted outbuildings. Clean and with all facilities, plus the benefit of a traditional pub just a few steps away.
Enjoyed both breakfast and evening meals, from varied menus over the 2 night's we stayed. Pub had good atmosphere, with both locals and waitresses welcoming.
Dog friendly, both room and Pub, with small garden area for any night visits and good walks from pub car park.
Had a lovely stay and look forward to next stay.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2018 via mobile

I felt sorry for the serving staff who seemed frightened of the abhorrent, drunk owner/manager. I've never been made to feel so unwelcome in a food-serving pub. I don't have the creativity required to imagine how The Green Dragon ever received more than a two star rating. I shan't ever be back.

Trip type: Travelled with family