All reviews ama dablam everest view namche bazaar hot water high altitude two days dining room well taken care electric blankets stayed for nights next morning base camp bucket list any sort kathmandu airport travel arrangements great hospitality
Reviewed February 11, 2018 via mobile

Myself and two colleagues stayed at HEV ON Sat 27th Jan 2018 in advance of a work visit to India. We arrived by helicopter from Kathmandu. HEV lived up to all expectations. Brilliant, amazing, friendly staff, great food, great accommodation .. we were privileged to stay there.
Yes it was cold in the evening, minus 18C but that added to the fun. Yes we slept in our hiking gear and yes I viewed the stars and shooting stars at that at 03:30 in the morning and I was blown away.
We were the only guests that night, the staff were amazing. We had a guide for our hike to Namche (we hadn’t really acclimatised flying straight from Kathmandu and it was cloudy on the Sat day).
Sunday morning, clear skies and amazing views of the mountains: Everest, Lhotse, Ama Dablam and so on.
Thanks to Sonia for all the arrangements and the rest of the staff for looking after us.
If you want to see Everest and are not trekking in the region and you want to stay in a fantastic location/ place then HEV is a must. It was built in the 70’s, it won’t have all mod cons but it has character by the bucket load, go see for yourself.
Matthew McIver

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Matthew M
Sonia M, Manager at Hotel Everest View, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2018

Thank you very much for visiting Hotel Everest View and we are so happy to hear that we lived up to all expectations.
Very early morning is one of the best times to see the stars on a clear night, just need to make sure you are well bundled up
for the show! Some guests even go to the sun room in the night for star gazing.

Thank you very much for appreciating our service and enjoying our unique location. I hope you and your colleagues will come back soon
for a longer trek in the Everest region and that by then the machines at the Immigration will be working :)

Reviewed February 4, 2018

A steep climb to Syangboche from Namche takes you to open ridge and hilltop to Syangboche offering amazing view of the higher mountains and low glacial valley below . Sipping hot drinks at the patio with Mt. Everest View is so rewarding after the steep hike to ease the pain .

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Tashi S
Sonia M, Manager at Hotel Everest View, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2018

Thank you very much for visiting us and yes, it is truly rewarding to have some hot drinks at Hotel Everest View after the hike!

Reviewed February 2, 2018

After my daughter's graduation from college, Celine, my niece and I decided to embark on this adventure. So, here we are in December. Three active but not expert trekkers from New Orleans, which is below sea level, trekking to Hotel Everest View, the highest hotel in the world. We arrived on Christmas Day and spent two nights. The staff made sure we celebrated Christmas dinner with style. The garlic soup was heavenly delicious. The dinner was exquisite. The entire staff made us feel at home.. One of the best Christmas ever. The room was cozy and warm with views of Mt Everest, Ama Dablam and all the other mountain peaks that I do not remember the names. The next day, our wonderful guide Sanjay took us on a low key trek. We sat down, relaxed, and enjoyed the majestic beauty surrounding us. Took pictures that are now watching me on my desk! I will, definitely go back. Maybe when the rhododendrons are in bloom?

Room tip: Best views.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank 7Flo
Sonia M, Manager at Hotel Everest View, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2018

Thank you so much for visiting us during Christmas time and making it extra special by bringing so many decorations for the hotel! We will put up the unique New Orleans decorations on our Christmas tree every year as well as try to re use the window stickers as many times as possible. The staff also had the most wonderful Christmas celebration, dining and dancing together. I think we will make this a Christmas tradition at HEV going forward :)

Please visit us again and yes, spring time when the rhododendrons are in bloom is especially beautiful, not to mention a bit warmer as well :) We really look forward to your next visit, thank you very much once again!

Reviewed January 6, 2018

I always wanted to travel to Nepal and visit the Himalaya, everybody should see these incredible mountains with their own eyes.
I had a set amount of days left during 2017 to plan a trip, and an important part of that, for me, was to photograph Everest and the surrounding peaks. I needed a base where I could settle down for a few days, take in the views and spend some time photographing the region
I searched for places that would fit my needs, and Hotel Everest View just seemed to tick all the boxes. An e-mail query to HEV was promptly answered by Sonia, the Hotel Manager, and this set the ball rolling for a planned visit in early December. Sonia was fantastic in helping me to customize my trip to suit and since she also Manages a trekking company, it was made so much easier for me to concentrate on flights and other things while she took care of domestic Nepali items like permits, trekking lodges and other essentials.
After arriving in Kathmandu, and getting to my hotel, it was time to re-pack my belongings into a duffel and prepare for the early morning flight to Lukla. This is quite an experience in itself, and after meeting my guide and porter, Sanjay and Kiran, it was time to start the trek towards Phakding, the following day to Namche Bazaar and the third day to Syangboche and Hotel Everest View.

The hotel was everything I had hoped for and more besides. Wonderfully located, but quite hidden by trees until you get closer, this is part of its charm! It just seems to blend into the surrounding landscape and is something of an oasis within the Himalayan hills. The rooms have the most fantastic views of the great mountains, with Everest, Lhotse and the beautiful Ama Dablam dominating. It was a great pleasure to stroll around the outside of the hotel and around the hills with the 360-degree view.
I have read some infrequent reviews which have complained about the cold. I think that this is really down to bad planning on the part of some people who simply do not prepare properly. Depending on what time of the year you are travelling, do some research, read a trekking guide and make sure you have the right gear. Sort out your base layers, get a down jacket for the night.

I believe HEV do a great job in looking after their guests, the staff are so polite and friendly. The rooms are very comfortable, with electric blankets to warm up the beds for a good night’s sleep. I enjoyed the food very much and they take great pride in providing the best ingredients for the guest’s meals.
I stayed for 3 nights and would highly recommend Hotel Everest View to anyone who has a passion for the natural world and would like to wake up to a breath-taking view of Everest and surrounding peaks outside their window.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Sonia M, Manager at Hotel Everest View, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2018

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback. It was our pleasure to arrange the trip for you and we are so happy that you enjoyed the location and were able to take many beautiful pictures. It is great to hear that HEV was everything that you hoped for and more, we hope to continue providing excellent service and an experience to remember.

Thank you very much for staying with us once again and we hope to see you again soon in the Himalayas!

Reviewed January 1, 2018

I accidentally discovered Hotel Everest View through Google and felt like I found a new entry in my bucket list. A short email conversation with their super helpful manager Mr Joshi put me (and my friend) on a plane to Kathmandu. This was our first time to this region and I didn’t know what to expect but it turned out to be the best holiday experience I ever had. Everest region is an incredible place. It is as if mankind never invented the wheel. You see nothing with a wheel - not even a toy cycle or a push cart. As a walker/trekker, this is one of the very few places on earth where you feel terrific about walking. Walking is the only way here. You are the highest in the food chain of transportation. There is nobody going past you by mechanical trickery. Well, there are helicopters but you still own the land.

We trekked to the hotel from Lukla with everything meticulously arranged by Mr Joshi. He also arranged enroute accommodation (Yeti Mountain Homes) during the trek. All we had to do was just trek for 3 days to reach Hotel Everest View and words can't describe my experience that borders on spiritual enlightenment. I believe some people take a helicopter directly to the hotel but for those who have time on their hands and have reasonable fitness levels (I feel you don't even have to be much fit, just need to love walking), trekking to the hotel would be an extraordinary experience. While Everest base camp trek is the most popular thing to do in this region, it's not for everyone due to lack of decent accommodation once you cross Namche Bazaar. I found trekking to reach 4000m is an amazing experience without being deprived of comfortable accommodation. Of course, you won't get the bragging rights of an EBC trek but for those who can't do without creature comforts there is a lot to enjoy here.

The hotel has an amazing location and has earned a reputation of 'must see' places in the region. This place has incredible mountain views anywhere you look and the famous four peaks (Mt. Everest, Lhotse and Nuptse, Ama Dablam) can be seen from pretty much every window in this hotel. They also have nice viewing decks which are great when the sun is out. Ama Dablam is my favourite mountain. The hotel has clean and comfortable rooms and toilets. Very friendly staff and the food was delicious. I casually asked the chef for how long he has been working here and he said 28 years! We spent two days by hiking to nearby villages and came back to enjoy the creature comforts that you know are extremely hard to come by at such inaccessible and remote location.

I think anybody who has trekked in Nepal can't stop talking about it :) It was a great experience and this hotel made it just perfect. I hope to go there often, anytime I feel like I need a good walk. Highly recommended. Important: read up about altitude sickness and do as advised.

A comment on the critical reviews:
I think people who have trekked and seen the country from up close and those who have been to EBC develop a sense of perspective about Nepal and what can qualify as a luxury. It’s relative. At times I wished they had heated rooms but then you would never feel like getting out and the outdoors is where the magic is. The rooms, beds, bath and toilets, etc. are extremely clean and offer good value for money. The food choice was excellent and it was very tasty and served by very attentive staff. Don’t go there with the expectations of a Swiss boutique hotel. If you don’t enjoy walking outdoors, you will get very bored.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank fmlyguy77
Sonia M, Manager at Hotel Everest View, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2018

Thank you very much for your heartfelt review, we are very happy to hear that you had such an incredible experience trekking to the hotel and being in the Himalayas. There is an allure to these mountains that perhaps we cannot quite explain but we all feel in our hearts!

Many of our guests discover us on Google and contact us, which has been wonderful. You are right that you do not have to be super fit to do the trek but you do need the determination and the understanding that you are in the Himalayas. Even if you don't go all the way to EBC, just trekking in the Khumbu and seeing Mt. Everest with your very eyes is already big bragging rights in our opinion ;)

We hope that you will come back soon to visit us and continue to enjoy walking anytime you need a break.