“Fab fined”

Provender
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Deli, Cafe, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: NOW CLOSED Somerset deli and cafe selling a wide range of local produce which includes; Somerset farmhouse cheeses, locally produced smoked meat and Dorset hams, loose and jarred olives, fantastic chocolates, local apple juices, renowned local beers, ciders & fabulous Somerset Cider Brandy along with crusty breads, baked fresh every day.In our bright and airy 30 seat cafe - part of which overlooks the picturesque village square - we serve a wide range of freshly cooked breakfast snacks ; individually prepared lunches [accompanied by our home-made, signature salads]; fantastic coffees (our beans are roasted by Origin in Cornwall); a range of single estate teas and a delicious selection of truly scrumptious cakes (made by the team, on the premises). We pride ourselves on being able to provide tasty alternatives for customers with special diets - including vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free.
Reviewed February 1, 2018 via mobile

Lovely coffee n cake and then a few purchases from there great deli counter. came across this illage by chance - some great little shops too.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 19, 2018 via mobile

Do not be fooled by the toys at the back of the cafe, they are not welcoming of groups of children at the end of the school week. We live in South Petherton and have used the cafe on and off for a while, there isn't much choice in the village and we need somewhere the kids can fuel up before their ballet class. Today I was disgusted to be accused of allowing my children to run riot and treat the cafe like a creche. Not ideal treatment. This was all brought about after my daughter collected her own cutlery fully in reach (just above the toys) on an open shelf. After the owner explained to my daughter he would rather she didn't touch the cutlery, she put it back and sat down. And didn't touch it again. Then I come to pay, and the appalling accusations begin. Mainly of my lacking ability to "control" my children. I strongly recommend anyone with kids gives it a wide birth. This trip was becoming a regular thing, business I would have thought they'd be happy of on a quiet afternoon. It's a big big shame, I won't be back again.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tony_Bishton, Owner at Provender, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2018

I’m sorry that you feel this way. Unfortunately you have only given one side of the story.
We have a duty of care to ALL of our customers and are well within our rights to point out when inappropriate behaviour may inconvenience other customers or is likely to cause a hazard to customers or staff. We expect a minimum standard of behaviour from all of our visitors - both big and small - and appreciate our customers helping us to maintain those standards.
Apart from the cutlery ‘incident’, children in the group were running around whilst our team were serving hot drinks and food - with little encouragement from parents to be more controlled.
I am sorry that you feel that you were not able to maintain the behavioural standards and courtesies that our team and our other customers expect.

Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

We called in here when visiting my girlfriends parents house in South Petherton.The shop is a cornucopia for food lovers with all manner of preserves,sauces,spirits,wines and snacks. The cheese counter is very well stocked and the staff very knowledgeable.There is a cafe with tables so you can sit and watch the world go by.

Reviewed October 2, 2017

Lovely cafe restaurant with daily specials and good selection of standards. Generous helping of smoked salmon in ciabatta with delicious herby salad (not a lettuce leaf in sight) and a few crisps - just under £6. The day's specials on the door so you can see before you walk in. Also tempting cakes. So light meals, delicious naughties, Light, bright ambience, good service and cups, saucers, hearts, trinkets to make lovely presents.

Reviewed September 25, 2017 via mobile

In this beautiful tranquil village up near the church. The fresh food is worthy of the surroundings. A well stocked deli tops things off. A quirky wine store is nearby.