All reviews beautiful hotel the general manager business trip spa johannesburg venue
Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

Extremely disappointing. By no means a 5 Star Hotel and certainly not worth the money. Stayed from the Friday to the Monday morning.
1. No hot water or pressure in my shower which I asked them to resolve on the Saturday morning. It never was. I complained again on the Sunday morning and was told they’d move me which just wasn’t worth the hassle after returning from my day out later that evening.
2. The gym had to be opened for me, no air con, no music, no water and no towels.
3. The WiFi is inadequate especially for business use - I had to keep switching to my data.
4. No spare toilet roll in the bathroom - unacceptable.
5. No TV guide.
6. In room tea and coffee was not re-filled each morning.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2018 via mobile

We had a power cut at 6pm and I quickly made a bookin at the Marion as I have an infant child and needed somewhere convenient to spend the night. The check in took more than 20 minutes despite me informing the receptionist that I desperately needed to change my babies nappy. There was no hot water in my room, the mini bar fridge had not been stocked so I asked for water and a chocolate as it had been a long hard day. Room service brought me water at R35 for a small bottle (no complimentary water). I was informed that the bar fridge was not stocked because they had run out of stock. In the morning on check out we were told that we had to wait for the manager to arrive in order to get a refund on the money that was held back from our credit card. At breakfast we were told that the coffee machine was broken and we couldn’t be served coffee. Eventually we were made coffee from the coffee machine in our room. All in all, not the sleek and sophisticated service you would expect from a five star hotel.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2017 via mobile

First of all the hotel rooms are great, nicely decorated and spacious. The food is in line with expectations but not really great.
What is amazing is the level of service which is very very slow and without any attention to detail. Very often we did ask ourselves if the person did understand us or wether the person will react , deliver a service or do whatever we had requested.

If you expect some kind of feedback when you request something, here everybody obviously has been trained to just smile but do not talk or say anything... really a bit bizarre.

The pool is small and was rather looking foggy and not really clear, so we did not use it. The pool area is anyhow very small even a large garden is there but not really useful because no benches or tables in the garden area.

The bar closes at 22.00 h ....the minibar in the rooms contain only one small bottle of water.

All in all no 5 star design or boutique hotel experience...it is just not enough to have nice deco and art surrounding ...the service and staff needs to match...

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2017 via mobile

My husband decided to book us a night at the Marion as a romantic surprise. Poor man... it was anything but romantic.

We arrived to check in on the Saturday evening and were told that despite booking and paying via Hotels.com, our booking had not come through and we would need to pay at the hotel and they would sort it out with Hotels.com. We paid and were shown to our room. We were also told that the restaurant and pool bar were booked out for private functions. We decided we'd take a long bubble bath and order room service.
We struggled to get to our room because tables and chairs had been stacked in the passage and blocked the entire pathway. Thankfully, we had a porter with us and he helped to move the furniture.
However, when we got to the room, there was no hot water. We walked back to the front desk we'd left not 10 min before. The furniture had been re-stacked in the passage and we literally had to climb over it. We were told there was a problem with the boiler and the whole hotel did not have hot water, but they were working to fix it. They could've warned us when we checked in.
We went back to the room.
We thought we'd get room service first instead and bath later. There was no room service menu. We phoned the front desk again. We waited 15 min for someone to being us a menu. She apologised for the wait, but said things were crazy with the functions and that it would be difficult to get people to help us that night.
We couldn't get clean to go out. The TV was making a weird buzzy noise. We were so disappointed with our first impression of the how. We thought rather than be stuck in our room, we'd rather go home, take a shower and get dinner.
We again climbed through all the furniture to get to reception, explained the situation and asked for a refund. We had not touched or used anything in the room.
The receptionist was very helpful and understanding. She phoned her manager and he told her to refund us. He asked for our email address and said he'd be in touch about the whole mess. We have never heard from him.
The following week, we checked the credit card statement and we saw we had been billed the full amount by Hotels.com before we arrived at the Marion, even though they claimed they had not received payment and made us pay again. Although they refunded us for the second payment, the first payment was actually made an CD never refunded.
We spoke to Hotels.com and told them the whole saga. They said they would liaise with the Marion to try to arrange the refund. Today, more than three weeks after we paid, we got an email from Hotels.com to say the Marion is not willing to refund us.
I was bitterly disappointed with the Marion, and had planned to just move on, but now I'm livid and am writing this review because I think their behaviour has been inexcusable. People who treat guests like this have no business being in the hospitality industry.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank TamaraOh84
Reviewed December 11, 2017

Where to start... There's good and bad. The BAD : Had a confirmed booking through Booking.com, yet they did not know who we were, but were "prepared to make a plan" - not acceptable. No welcome in the sense of - there's the bar, this is their hours, or there's the dining room, we serve breakfast from this to that, or the Wi-Fi password is XYZ ! None of that! Simply- this is your room nr ;-(

The room - beautiful, BUT, no mini bar as stated, just a fridge. No tissues, one soap, 3 coffee capsules for 2 people, no air freshener in an open plan bathroom, pathetic WiFi, lovely bed & TV, and view.

Had drinks at the pool, so VERY unpractical in terms of seating, access, and being able to get the attention of a waiter. Then they ran out of Castle beer, and also Black Label. Yikes!

Had dinner in their restaurant - WOW! Beautiful, excellent, wonderful. Rump steak and Kingklip. Magic. We asked the bill to be added to our room, but that was unacceptable to the point that it became an issue, so we paid the bill. Next, the drinks we had at the pool surfaced, and HAD to be paid there and then. Not good! We made some noise after paying, and a very competent manager, Joshua, apologize and said all from that point on could be added to the room. Woo Hoo !

Had a good snooze, breakfast in the morning, and WOW, excellent ! Great table, great service and excellent food. Kudo's to the chef's. Checked out, no issues, but no - how was your stay, or, come back soon or drive safe. Natha! Changed our flat tyre, and Date night was over.
Will we be back ? To stay - Some changes need to be made, for the restaurant - YES!

PS. Booking.com / Marion - not sure who messed up, but NOT acceptable !

Room tip: Excellent restaurant !
Date of stay: December 2017