“Value for money”

Ranked #22 of 56 Hotels in Kata Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Value for money”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked a deluxe room which was lovely. The Reception check in is a very slow process. Once we got our keys we ended up taking our own bags to the room - didn't know how long the porter would be! We only used the pool once which was lovely and the pool bar made great cocktails but we tended to spend our time out and about. We also booked our transfers and day touing at local agencies as we found the tour desk to be expense when comparing elsewhere. If you want a "resort" style holiday where you stay put, go to Club Med. This property was clean, comfortable and and had a great pool area. We liked it for what it was.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sherpa1974

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Delhi
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I can only assume that the people who have rated this place well have not compared it with some of the lovely hotels in Phuket or have different levels of acceptance.

We spent two weeks on holiday in Phuket and decided to spend three nights each at four different hotels on the island. This is my fourth trip here, so I already had several hotels both budget and luxury to compare with. The entrance was nice with a very warm and courteous welcome but that's the only bit that was nice. The pool area and the expanse of the hotel was quite huge for the Kata area. The first room had a terribly unclean bathroom so we were moved to another room a good 15 minutes walk away. That's when we noticed the decor and the musty smell. We spent 20 minutes in the room trying to decide whether we would stay or not. The room resembled a brothel but we were both quite tired and hungry after a long flight and ordered room service. Bad idea! The food was terrible. Enough was enough so we decided to check out. They insisted on charging us for the night for less than an hour of using the room. I wasn't in the mood to spoil my holiday so I paid and left in a hurry to the Courtyard in Kamala which was a much nicer experience.

Other points to note: While we were waiting for the car to pick us up, we strolled around. The beach was a long cumbersome walk away. The hotel would make sense if your a family who hangs around the pool a lot . It (the rate) wasn't as cheap as it looked and felt. There are far nicer, cleaner properties at better rates in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank skywords
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The strong point here is that it’s a value for money - you get what you pay for, no high expectations please. Don’t even try to compare it with 4* resorts of the Caribbean or alike it won’t match (guess star ratings also have local flavors). It’s good unless you are not planning to spend there too much time, using hotel amenities (because they really not that impressive so to say).

Design is authentic, nice open lobby. Not in mint condition, but still clean and quite well maintained. Helpful staff, taxi desk and tour desk (not cheap try to walk around and you’ll definitely find better deals up to 50% off depending on the season).

Beach is approximately 5-10 minutes walk, or you can get a free shuttle bus (never actually used it). Don’t forget to ask for a coupon for a free beach chair and umbrella (+ figure out how to find the exact place where you will be able to use this coupon). If you are planning to grab some stuff while walking to the beach do it at 7eleven, it’s a good money saver as compared to the shops right at the beach.

The real problem for me were mosquitoes.... Our room faced the pool, thus, due to humidity and of course wet season.... there were thousands of them! So watch the door and keep windows shut, use the repellent (it’s available in the room for around 5$). But, anyways it’s mother nature...

The problem with the hotel offerings was absolutely uneatable breakfast. It was included, so each morning we were giving them another try, hoping something will change for the better. Finally we understood that the safest way is to stick with the good-old toast with butter and cheese and rarely fruit salad (if it was not too watery and bland). All other samplings of wast varieties of meals available kept as all sick for the rest of the day. I guess it’s better cut the amount of exotic offerings and stick to the quality of simple breakfast meal. Please improve it!

Well, some may also be disappointed by noisy neighbours as far as all rooms are connected with the tiny doors. Sometimes people check-in late and first what they do - they fiercely try to open this tiny door (guess hoping they’ve got a free room upgrade...), well if you are sleeping that may be quite a surprise for you... Guys, respect your neighbours almost all hotels in Phuket got those doors, no room upgrades sorry.... :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anna S
Jindabyne, Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My son and a friend stayed at the Kata Palm Resort in Nov 2010 for 10 nights (yes I am a bit late posting this) in a Pool Access room. Perfect choice especially for my son, who was in and out of the water at all times of the day. I was able to enjoy our lovely sun lounge on the veranda which looked straight onto the pool with 3 steps down into the water. Bliss. The resort was pleasant, 2 large pools (the lagoon pool from our room was fantastic), free internet computers in the lobby, good breakfasts and lovely lobby area. the kids club was very dissappointing and I wouldnt want to leave a child there for long, especially is they are older than 4. Location is on the main road through kata and a free shuttle runs to the beach which is about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. this is a good central area to stay with lots of shopping and dining options available.

Room Tip: Pool Access is well worth the extra.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank JindySuzanne
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I've just come back from a 5 days stay at this resort. I would not rate it as a4* resort. The good thing about this place is that it's in a very good location. when you are at the reception checking in, there is no smile of welcome from the receptionist and they are not accomadating at all. They could not even understand english, making it very difficult to communicate. Breakfast was nothing to shout about and Wifi in the room is very flaky. Even the chambermaid cleaning the room 426 on the 27th and 28th dec had a very sour face. There were some guests in TA who mentioned mozzies, I did not get that, but was bitten by small insects in the room.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor were quiet, there were no noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Phidelia F
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 December 2011

This hotel is a classic case of buyer's beware. Kata Palm is a very Thai hotel - rooms are clean, lots of ornate carvings over your bed and touristy buffets 2 nights a week with local performances. It has a nice pool.

But, the service here is no where near a 4 star vote on tripadvisor.

"Free shuttles to the beach" - yep, about 6 times until 3pm. So if you're ready to sun burn at the peak of noon, this shuttle's for you.

"Free deck chairs" - the hotel is 10 mins walk from the beach so you're really dependent on these "free chairs". When u get to Kata Palm, they inform you that 30 chairs are available and are allocated first come first serve everyday at 8.30am. Normally I wouldn't bother with this, but I'm travelling with family. I went down as instructed and asked for coupons for 5 chairs. We had 2 double rooms booked, 3 of us checked in first the prior day and my parents were flying in today and staying in a 3rd room. The lady said only rooms registered could get coupons so I said fine, 4 chairs since I have 2 double rooms. She proceeded to argue with me and then called another even louder, can't-decipher-your-english lady to insist that I take only 3 chairs. I kept explaining that we had 3 rooms booked, she can check my registration. Nope. Her register also showed other guests with ONE room taking 4 chairs. Nope. They then called a duty manager who re-explained this dumb policy that made no sense. So yes, buyer's beware. This is Thai style "4 star" service.

"I would like to cancel an extra bunk bed" - we ordered a bunk bed for 2 of the 3 nights we were staying as my parents originally couldn't get a 3rd room. When they did, we immediately called up reception to cancel a bunk bed we ordered (this was within 2-3 hrs). We spoke clear, slow english. They passed the phone to 2 different people and both said ok. What happens at 9am the next day? Yes, a housekeeping lady shows up with a bunk bed *face palm*. I would expect this in an average Thai run hotel but seriously?

So other than all this service, the bathrooms are really dated (I estimate the property is at least 15 yrs old?). I'm sure others have written about that but basically whatever u see on the pictures, come expecting less and yes, a "king bed" is 2 singles pushed tog
ether.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank acathla
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Stayed 9 days in November 2011. The hotel is big, clean and good overall. The staff is very polite and helpfull in any matter. We stayed in a Deluxe room - very big and cleaned on a daily basis. The hotel is very close to shops, restaurants etc. The hotel's pool is very big and you can swim long distances. I was a little worried if there wasnt any sunlight coming down to the pool as the hotel is build the way it is, and maybe one of the buildings gave too much shadow, but that was not a problem at all. I would suggest that the staff in the restaurant learned a little more English (!). Would definitely come again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family