Tabin Lodge(Lahad Datu)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Ocean(Lahad Datu)
Kingston Hotel(Lahad Datu)
TripAdvisor
Maya Hotel & Spa(Lahad Datu)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmud volcanoleopard catsthe riverfoot soakwellington bootshill lodgethe reservestayed nightsrubber bootsprimary forestpalm plantationhour driveflying squirrellovely lodgemeal timesdifferent speciesprivate guide
Reviewed December 6, 2016 via mobile

I stayed in 3 wildlife resorts during my trip to Borneo and this was my favourite.

Set in the middle of the jungle it really is a special and beautiful place. The 20 cabins are either hill and river side and each are equally as beautiful. I was on the hill with its 50 plus wooden stairs.

The whole resort has been developed really tastefully. The rooms are beautifully done. The restaurant serves freshly prepared local cuisine ( there wasn't anything I didn't like ). And the team here are great. It has a real family atmosphere about it.

I didn't see orang u tangs or the elephants. But I did see lots of other wildlife. And the jungle is so staggeringly perfect. When I wasn't looking at the wildlife I was looking at the amazing fauna.

And here more than any I was reminded about the importance of eco tourism to the preservation and development of the local environment. This feels like not just a great resort. But an important part of the country and local community.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2016 via mobile

We stayed here two nights between kinabatangang and Borneo rainforest lodge.
We had a great guide called Rachael who was very well informed and passionate about her job.
We stayed in a hill lodge. It was pretty basic but it all worked. We had our own balcony but you couldn't sit on it as there were no chairs. That was a shame as I really wanted to sit out and watch the monsoon rain.
We had air con but didn't really need it. 3 pin UK style sockets. Slow slow wifi but you are in the jungle.
3G worked ok.
The lodge food was ok, sometimes the meat was a bit chewy. They sold wine and beer and we even had a half bottle of champagne on our last night. The staff were very friendly.
There are gibbons that seem to live around the lodge and appear in the morning. We saw flying squirrels and a leopard cat and pigs and loads of monkeys and birds.
There's also an amazing mud volcano within the grounds. Very odd.
One thing I didn't like were the 4 x 4 jeeps for the safaris. They didn't have seats , just padded bars to sit on. Very uncomfortable.
We also were taken to a rock pool to swim. I didn't fancy it. Brown water, you have no idea how deep and one of our party got into trouble as he wasn't a strong swimmer.
It was a close shave.
You need those rubber shoes that stay on if you're swimming. Underfoot is all very dodgy with sharp rocks you can't see.
My leg got stuck in between 2 rocks and I got a cut.
Two nights was enough. Very interesting place though.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Pehbeansandchips
Reviewed October 27, 2016

The resort is lovely with good comfortable rooms. Ours was overlooking the river. All the staff at the resort were helpful and friendly and the guides are just brilliant with genuine enthusiasm for their local wildlife. I wish we could have stayed longer to see more of the forest and the incredible species there.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2016

Couple travelling with 3 yo son.
Activities : we took 3 days 2 nights package which include short trekking, waterfall visit and night walk. Verdict : it was easy for us and i think i can bring my parent (60 years old) in future. not much animal sighting but we witnessed flying squirrel in action which was superb.
Food: Reasonable.
Resort: Clean and cosy. the utilities all working so no complaint.
Staff : Very friendly and helpful but that was expected because we were in SABAH.Sabahan are friendly people in nature.
Overall: It was relaxing holiday for us and we love nature, with a little bit adventure for my little son and we planning to come back.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed September 18, 2016

This was a lovely facility, great rooms, staff and guides. The chef went above and beyond to try and cater for my gluten-free requirements, which was greatly appreciated. Our Guide Rachel was very friendly and knowledgeable, and we saw lots of interesting birds and animals.
The only downside (and this comes from a New Zealander who is used to being out in the bush) that the areas that visitors can go is very limited to a small section of forest near the edge of the park. I had wanted to get into real rainforest, but that's probably more about expectation than anything... but it's something for others to consider when deciding which area to go to.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple