All reviewsmud volcanoleopard catsthe riverfoot soakwellington bootshill lodgethe reserverubber bootsprimary forestpalm plantationhour driveflying squirrellovely lodgemeal timesdifferent speciesprivate guidenight safari
Reviewed February 10, 2017 via mobile

After reading previous reviews, we stayed 3 nights here in one of the river cabins. While not deluxe accommodation, it was quite spacious with a lovely balcony overlooking the river and amazing air conditioning- which is a must for drying clothes after hiking in the humidity.

The bathroom was a bit basic, but we weren't really visiting for the room so it wasn't an issue.

We had Mohammed as a guide and were very impressed with his knowledge and passion for the place- and he coped well with our Australian sense of humour after we renamed several local species in line with Aussie vernacular.

He is also an amazing spotter - giving us the opportunity to see animals and birds that we had not seen elsewhere including gibbons, civets, colugo, leopard cats and Giant Red Flying Squirrels (ask him about Gerald). Sadly no otters, but the river was quite high and the water was murky.

The rest of the team were also great- nothing was too much trouble.

The trails are quite muddy but the resort provides Wellington boots, so take long socks and binoculars are a must.

I'd happily return here and recommend the river lodges. The mountain rooms look great but there are lots of stairs so keep that in mind. Make sure you try the banana fritters!

Stayed: February 2017
Reviewed January 1, 2017 via mobile

Its a very nice resort and the serve excellent food. The bungalows are located with hill or river view.
The tour guides know the local wildlife very well. If you would do some hiking ask gor the Elefant Trail, a 2h walk trough the jungle (the give you free rubber boots :-)

Even if it was raining, I could do all the tours and night safary as the raining periods are very short.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2016

we stayed in chalets that are up from river that can involve over 60 steps! Next time id stay by river right in the resort . Accomodation very good and excellent guides. We found it very hard to know if this was the best reserve to visit in hope of seeing truly wild orangs,as we thought of Danum.No guide book or here clarifies which is best as they are different..Much subject to logging of biggest trees 20 yrs ago, but wild life a bit easier to see and the growing rapidly where anything chopped down.Taking jeeps early and late great fun-managed to spot one orang which was lucky. Otters fishing in pool on river by resort and lots of birds,ealges,hornbills,owls.On one side is oil palm plantations as far as eye can see,so this large jungle reserve very valuable.
We stayed overnight at Lipad mud volcano in a watch tower. Not really worth it and saw nothing except bearded pig.Its about 300m square and occasionally bubbles but its not at all an exploding type-very quiet!

Stayed: September 2016
Reviewed December 6, 2016 via mobile

I stayed in 3 wildlife resorts during my trip to Borneo and this was my favourite.

Set in the middle of the jungle it really is a special and beautiful place. The 20 cabins are either hill and river side and each are equally as beautiful. I was on the hill with its 50 plus wooden stairs.

The whole resort has been developed really tastefully. The rooms are beautifully done. The restaurant serves freshly prepared local cuisine ( there wasn't anything I didn't like ). And the team here are great. It has a real family atmosphere about it.

I didn't see orang u tangs or the elephants. But I did see lots of other wildlife. And the jungle is so staggeringly perfect. When I wasn't looking at the wildlife I was looking at the amazing fauna.

And here more than any I was reminded about the importance of eco tourism to the preservation and development of the local environment. This feels like not just a great resort. But an important part of the country and local community.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2016 via mobile

We stayed here two nights between kinabatangang and Borneo rainforest lodge.
We had a great guide called Rachael who was very well informed and passionate about her job.
We stayed in a hill lodge. It was pretty basic but it all worked. We had our own balcony but you couldn't sit on it as there were no chairs. That was a shame as I really wanted to sit out and watch the monsoon rain.
We had air con but didn't really need it. 3 pin UK style sockets. Slow slow wifi but you are in the jungle.
3G worked ok.
The lodge food was ok, sometimes the meat was a bit chewy. They sold wine and beer and we even had a half bottle of champagne on our last night. The staff were very friendly.
There are gibbons that seem to live around the lodge and appear in the morning. We saw flying squirrels and a leopard cat and pigs and loads of monkeys and birds.
There's also an amazing mud volcano within the grounds. Very odd.
One thing I didn't like were the 4 x 4 jeeps for the safaris. They didn't have seats , just padded bars to sit on. Very uncomfortable.
We also were taken to a rock pool to swim. I didn't fancy it. Brown water, you have no idea how deep and one of our party got into trouble as he wasn't a strong swimmer.
It was a close shave.
You need those rubber shoes that stay on if you're swimming. Underfoot is all very dodgy with sharp rocks you can't see.
My leg got stuck in between 2 rocks and I got a cut.
Two nights was enough. Very interesting place though.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple