“Sunday Lunch”

Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Wick
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2018

Visited last Sunday on a impromptu visit, the meal was excellent to the usual high standard, had the Lamb Shnal instead of roast equally delicious. The place was busy but the staff coped very well and made us feel very welcome.

Elena G, Manager at The Rose and Crown, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2018

Dear alanholt59 thank you very much for your feedback we are pleased you enjoyed our Sunday lunch and we hope to see soon .

Reviewed May 29, 2018

We popped in here for a spot of lunch on Saturday and were quite surprised to find that the place was rather empty. However, not to be deterred or put off by the fact that such a large and impressive pub should be this empty on Bank Holiday we carried on and were quickly sat at our table. The waitress who showed us to a table was polite and helpful and managed to secure us a high chair for our young son.

Menus were provided and we were talked through the specials and also the deals, however, after that we never saw the helpful young lady again and we waited a good 15 minutes before someone came to take our drinks orders. Now I am fully aware that sometimes tables and customers can indeed be forgotten, however with such an empty pub it seems very odd that we were simply forgotten about, it is, however, possible that due to the enormous size of the place our waiter got lost? Who knows?

Anyway, drinks orders were eventually taken and due to the long wait, we put through our requests for mains at the same time. Both drinks and food did turn up relatively quickly and were presented well, on warm plates and with the appropriate sides to match! We were checked on in a well-timed manner, not too quickly or to lately, and the young man who did the said checking was nice enough, if not a little disinterested in our actual replies!

Food quality was pretty good and the fish and chips that I ordered were tasty and well cooked, with a good amount of chips and veg. I would say that it was on a par with any good pub chain, but not quite to the standard of Gastro!

things did go a little downhill after the main meals when some drinks orders were taken and the wrong drinks turned up, I guess that's the risk you take when you rely on your waiter to memorize an order without writing it down on a pad. I have no problems in a waiter being honest with me and saying they need to go and get a pad, but this kind of brazen confidence, while acceptable in some settings really doesn't work with complex drinks orders. We accepted the drinks that turned up as we were not sure that it would be rectified second time around, we did express our confusion at what turned up, which was greeted by a general shrug and denial. Hmm?

We finished our meal soon after some tasty if not awe-inspiring desserts and went about the rest of our day. However, one little further gripe, and its one that's not just confined to here, but to many places, is the fact that the only baby changing facility was located in the ladies toilets! Now I was lucky enough to have had my wife with me during this time, so we were able to use this facility effectively, but had I been by my self I would have felt a little disadvantaged and not entirely comfortable with the arrangement. Why, in today's modern age, it is not possible to place a changing table in the men's rooms is beyond me, please sort this out!

Highlights and plus points:

Large and spacious
The pub has character and history behind it
Good food and an affordable price
Good weekday and weekend deals

Negative points:

Service is hit and miss
Ladies only baby change
The staff could do with retraining on how to attend and take orders

Overall, this place is by no means bad, but then it is also by no means great. If you are looking for a good meal at a price you can stomach then you will find what you are looking for here. However, Whetherspoons does it better and for less!

1  Thank Chris L
Reviewed May 28, 2018

We try to go there about once a month and it never disappoints, we both had the pork with crackling on the new menu, preceded by the mushrooms ending with the crumble, keep up the high standard.

Oldfeller

Reviewed May 28, 2018

Excellent place to eat and socialise. The staff were extremely polite and helpful with any requests made of them would definitely go back again

Review collected in partnership with Greene King
Reviewed May 27, 2018 via mobile

Recommended here by a friend and it didn’t disappoint. A very pleasant pub and the waitress was really friendly. I had the lamb shoulder and my partner had the pork belly, both were cooked and tasted so delicious. We had decent sized portions for the price and I would definitely eat here again.