“Great service”
Review of South Siam Divers

South Siam Divers
Reviewed July 22, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I booked dives with another company who booked us spots on this company's dive boat.

They picked us up at the equipment site for another dive company. They helped us get our equipment in the van and took us to the pier. We were put on a large dive boat with only 4 other divers and the crew. They provided us with a light breakfast of fruit, toast and great coffee!

Before all the dives each groups dive master talked about what to expect at each dive site. They helped us get our equipment ready and promptly got us in the water upon arrival at each site. It was only my husband and I with our dove master which allowed us to go at our own pace and see what we wanted.

All the crew and dive masters were very friendly while on board. They fed us a great authentic hot food Thai buffet and fruit. Overall we had an excellent experience and felt safe and comfortable throughout the day with this company. If I ever find myself back in Phuket I will use this company.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"moray eels"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed May 11, 2017 via mobile

We were sent to South Siam Divers on the 9th May for a dive in Phuket. The boat is small and squash but it works. Adam is team leader and professional dive master with a few chinese and Australians and Ze Germans.Adam has a good confident way around him as leader of the boat and they were good knowing when everyone was at any times in the water and what we saw that everyone was accounted for. The food for lunch was great , a big spread, very generous . We had to amazing dives at Racha Yai that day. Enjoy the diving

Reviewed April 19, 2017 via mobile

Me and some friends decided to do a last minute dive trip in Phuket. We went with the Siam Divers since it was one of the first to pop up in a web search. We dove for two days and stayed on board over one night. The things I did not like were that they seemed very business oriented almost cold. The dive guides we had didn't seem to care to show us much during the dives and the dive director needs to learn to be more personable. My biggest complaint, however, is that after they loaded my bag on board it was left on the wet floor of the dive room area (B level). All my clothes for the rest of my 3 week trip in Thailand were soaked in salt water. If they had just used a little common sense and placed my bag in basically any other room on the boat I would not have to call a cleaning service to do all my laundry less than a week into my vacation. The food served on the boat was great though and the Thai staff on board was fan fantastic.

Reviewed March 24, 2017

I had a 3 nights and 4 days liveaboard diving trip on South Siam 3 from 17th to 21th of Feburary and I had a very disappointing experience with them. It was my third liveaboard trip in Similan. My first time was on Peterpan and the second time was on South Siam 4 and both were very enjoyable, so I decided to try South Siam 3 and I had such an awful experience which made me never want to be on the same boat again. I would like to share my experience so that other divers would make a better plan.

Firstly, South Siam boats have a very complicated diving system as they have one day and two days trip on the same boat and people keep coming in and out. It was okay for me as I experienced it on South Siam 4 last year and I knew how it goes but if you are planning to have a liveaboard trip for longer than 2 nights, you should look for other companies as the boats will be packed with people and you will feel so much inconvenience on almost everything. (Example, not enough tables for lunch, not comfortable to set your diving gears, rooms not ready until 4 pm and so on) Also, because of this system, we had to dive on the same sites on the first and the last day and the sites were not that special.

Secondly, they have no consistency. On arrival, they gave us some instructions about what we should and should not do on the boat. They asked us not to wear wetsuit on the upperdeck and the customers followed what they said but the staff kept coming up with their wetsuits on and it felt kind of unfair. They also asked us not to bully any marine creatures and be well mannered for other divers and take turns to observe marine life and to take pictures, but I saw one of their diving guides having no manner to other diving groups and teasing a sea turtle by shooting bubble rings to it. A bubble ring won’t put a sea turtle in a danger, but what the dive guide showed us is nothing like a responsible diver and his divers won’t learn any good things from him.

Lastly but the most importantly, the boat manager called “Greg” was surprisingly unfriendly, rude and arrogant to his customers. He never smiled, but always showed long face to his customers. He never asked, but always ordered. He never said ‘please’ but always gave orders with one word like ‘upstairs’ or only with the hand gestures. He kept sighing during his boat and dive site briefings. He never created a cheerful atmosphere but always put his customers under pressure. One day, a new diver arrived and he dropped his diving license, then the boat manager Greg called out his name and when the customer tried to get the license back from Greg with his two hands, Greg just throw the license to the table that the customer was sitting. I could see the customer felt very embarrassed.

I strongly believe he is not only a diving instructor but also a service provider and all the divers there had paid to have an enjoyable holiday. As a customer, I don’t expect extra cares or kindness, but I believe we deserve at least common international manners from those people working on the boat. If anyone is planning an enjoyable liveaboard diving trip, South Siam 3 is definitely not a boat that you are looking for. If you have a very limited time and can’t find other options, go for South Siam 4, certainly not 3.

6  Thank noakyungjinl
See more reviews
Reviewed March 20, 2017

We got our diving in at the beginning of our Phuket trip. We stayed in Nai Yang Beach (near the airport) before heading up to the pier to take a speed boat out to the South Siam 3. I mention this because other people on the boat wished they had not gone all the way down to Patong or more southern beaches as it just increased their drive up to the pier. We went back to Nai Yang Beach after as well and left our dive gear at the hotel for the rest of our trip as we traveled around Phuket.
There are a lot of people at the shop when you go to get the speed boat and they divide you up into groups. Lots of people are just going for the afternoon. Don't sit it in the back of the speedboat if you can't handle tons of direct sunlight or if the smell of gas bothers you.

Once on the boat, you get some info about the boat and how the day will be spent, followed by your first briefing. You are then divided into small groups and given a guide. There were just three of us in our group which was put together based on experience which was pretty fantastic since we were all pretty experienced. You then set up your own gear and get ready. There are a lot of people getting ready at the same time so be prepared to be walking around people with all your gear/fins on to get the back of the boat.

This is pretty much the last time that you will set up your own gear. You will always bring your tank back to the same spot and the staff will handle your stuff for the rest of time your on the boat, it's pretty amazing how well they remember what belongs to whom.

Owen was the instructor who took us diving for the two days we were aboard and he was fantastic. He obviously knows the area well and is very knowledgeable about the local sea life and great at spotting small creatures. He was available if you needed him but also left you to enjoy the dive at your own leisure. All-in-all, he is a good guy with a great sense of humor and made the trip even more enjoyable.
The food was really good and there were always plenty of snacks and real coffee. The rooms are air conditioned and comfortable. There were enough bathrooms that you didn't usually have to wait and you can always shower off on the back of the boat.

It was hard for me to gauge how my dive experience was going to be based on the reviews that I read here so I will just say that the diving was great, the water was beautiful, and we saw lots of cool stuff. You should be comfortable handling your own gear and yourself if you tell them you are an experienced diver because that is how they will treat you. There is no hand-holding and the expectation is that you are somewhat self-reliant. If you tell them you are less experienced or there for a class it's probably different so you should be honest when filling out your info. If you are looking for a super catered experience where your guide/instructor is on top of you and checking you at all times you may be disappointed but if you are looking for an awesome dive experience where you are responsible for yourself you will love it.

The South Siam 3 was the most affordable liveaboard we have ever done and we really liked that we could just do a couple of days and then spend some time traveling as well.