“Perfect place for those looking for a relaxed beach holiday”

Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 133 Hotels in Karon
Istanbul, Turkey
“Perfect place for those looking for a relaxed beach holiday”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Le Meridien Phuket is a great place for a relaxed holiday, with its private beach, several different dining opportunities and a warm service. Although the hotel was fully booked, non of the services were inturrupted and thanks to the sufficient facilities at the beach, no single guest seemed to have problems at finding at the beach or pool. Easy access to the town also makes this resort an attractive one.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms on the upper floors are perfect and they have excellent sunset view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Almario, Director of Online & Marketing Communications at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Dear "30138"

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your time at the resort and that you were able to relax and recharge during your precious break. Thank you for your positive appraisal of our location and facilities. We hope to welcome you back to Le Meridien Phuket on your next holiday.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 April 2012

As some of the other reviewers also wrote the rooms are a bit run down but I still loved it. We had a deluxe pool view room and it actually had a great view of the ocean as well. The pool is very nice and even though it was peek season we had no trouble finding space there. The beach is clean and nothing less than amazing. It did have very high waves at times but that just made it even better for the kids. Restaurants are great although some of them are a bit pricy so watch out if you are on a tight budget. We loved the wood oven pizzas at the beach!! The staff is not unfriendly but on the other hand they are not very welcoming. Some may be lack of training and language skills -we had to repeat our order to more than one staff on several occasions. The resort had a very cute baby-elephant that came by every morning. Kids loved it! Overall I do think it is an amazing resort for relaxing and hanging out with friends. LOVED the quiet beach and lovely pool and I wish we had had more time to try all the activities. It takes about 10 min by taxi to Patong beach and YES it is a bit pricy, 300 bath even by tuk-tuk for my family.

Room Tip: Pool view room does have some ocean view as well.
Dear "acdenmark"

We sincerely thank you for your confidence in us. As we celebrate our 25th anniversary this November, we are ever aware of the need to continually enhance our rooms and facilities. As such we have completed renovations in 2010 and 2011 producing over 70% new rooms and suites from our total 470 inventory. Deluxe Garden View Rooms were part of these renovations. Rest assured that we consider renovations and enhancing public areas key to our continued success. I regret that you were not completely satisfied with your interactions with our associates and do apologize for the inconvenience. I have shared your feedback with our executive team to review. I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay and we look forward to having you at Le Meridien Phuket again soon.

Jhb
Reviewed 11 April 2012

The Le Meridien is a great family resort. The swimming pool is huge clean and warm. The private beach was excelent with many activities such as jet skiiing, parasailing, etc. The rooms were also very nice with amazing decor and design. We had interleading pool facing delux rooms. Just a stones thrw away is the town with a lot of activity and night life, shopping etc.

Room Tip: Delux pool facing rooms were great on the 5th floor with balcones.
2 Thank ZaffarK K
Dear "ZaffarK K"

Warm greetings from Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort. Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Phuket. I'm glad you enjoyed the rooms you were in and that you found these to be satisfactory. We do have plenty of recreations facilities at the resort and all non-motorised facilities are free for guests to use. We do remind guests to take caution whenever they use jetskis and parasailing facilities on the beach as the resort does not run nor manage these. I am delighted to know that you had a pleasant experience and we look forward to having you at Le Meridien Phuket again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2012

We are traveling with a 2.5 year old and we stayed in a junior suite to accommodate all 3 of us & it was the perfect size. Although we were in the older wing of the hotel I still thought the room was lovely. The cleaning staff are excellent & very friendly. I found most of the staff very approachable and they always remembered our little girl, greeting her & giving her things to do when we were eating in the restaurants.

There are 10 restaurants onsite, some of them are great while others are just ok. You do pay a lot more to eat at the hotel compared to in town. It's easy to fall into the trap of the convenience rather than explore patong or other surrounding areas.

Overall I enjoyed our stay very much. We would definitely return & recommend it to other families too.

1 Thank Apat82
Dear "Apat82"

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Phuket. I am happy to note that you enjoyed your stay in the Junior Suite and that appreciate its decor and views. It's great to know that our associates were able to provide your requirements and that your daughter also enjoyed her time with us. Many thanks for your kind recommendation and we all look forward to having your family at Le Meridien Phuket again soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

We are halfway through our holiday here and I have to say that this place is superb! Everytime I look out the window of our pool view room which is really an ocean view room-and see the beautiful pristine beach, palm trees and enormous pools I feel like I am looking at a picture postcard.
The best part is that travelling with our 4 children there is so much for them to do. Today we started with the free scuba dive try out in the pool(thanks Rene) , then went for a long sail, spent hours in the surf and then enjoyed mango smoothies on the beach. Our teenagers love all the activities. My husband and I talk about coming here every year- it is the perfect destination for our family - the staff are friendly, the accommodation very comfortable- and the highlight is the baby elephant on the beach which makes this amazing place very unique and special.
I don't want it to end but we will be back!

• Stayed April 2012
Dear "Auspilotswife"

I am delighted to know that you were enjoying your stay at the time you posted this review and hope that the rest of your stay was even more pleasant. It's great that your children also enjoyed their time and took advantage of the many recreations facilities we have on property. We do hope you'll make us your home whenever your family is on Phuket. Many thanks for your kind appraisal and we look forward to having you once again at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This Méridien sits in a beautiful, secluded bay and has a fantastic beach and nice pools. That much was great. But the property as a whole needs a serious face lift and some freshening up. The staff were gracious and attentive though, so overall it was a positive experience.

Room Tip: Obviously try to get a room overlooking the water.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank OTRoadAgain
Dear "OTRoadAgain"

Thank for you staying with us and for taking the time to post a review. We are aware of the need to continually enhance our rooms and facilities. In the past 2 years we have actually refurbished more than 70% of our rooms and suites and have planned to renovate further next year. Next month we are scheduled to replace a few guest lifts. We have also blocked rooms in the past weeks to conduct preventive maintenance and aesthetic touch ups. It was our pleasure to have you and we are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you'll stay with us again on your next holiday in Phuket.

Toronto
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I am a big fan of Starwood hotels. Some are wonderful, some are just average. But until now, I have never said that I will not go back to a Starwood hotel.

I will not go back to Le Meridien Phuket. It is simply not good value for the money. For the price, I expect much, much more than I got.

This hotel is labelled as a resort, and it is in fact about half way between Karon Beach and Patong. It has its own private beach, which is very good. However, it is not easily accessible to the surrounding area, except through public transportation that is controlled by the hotel and overpriced. (We had our own car, avoiding that.)

The whole stay started off on the wrong foot. As a Platinum member, I should have received an upgrade, but the best they could do was what they called a "junior suite" in the old section of the hotel. This room was smaller than most standard rooms I have stayed in,and the amenities were poor. Keep in mind that, at about $350 a night in Thailand, you should be getting the very top of the line. Not close.

Because this is the older section, there were lots of little things that were weak. The elevator was slow and smelly. The shower in the room had mould and cracked tiles. I could go on. Given that I was paying a lot more than the many tourists from tour groups, this was not acceptable.

The hotel is centred around a huge pool, with a restaurant in the centre and several more along one side. The pool is good, although the practice of the staff doing pool cleaning without regard to people already swimming in the pool is simply poor management.

The restaurants had competent service for the most part, although given the price having staff who knew the difference between red and white wine, for example, might have been better. The food in the main restaurant was not bad, but the speciality restaurants (Italian, Japanese, French) were not up to a reasonable standard.

For top-level guests, there is no executive club or lounge. The only special treatment was a boring cocktail party one night, lasting an hour and featuring some of the top managers complaining privately to the guests about Starwood. Really?

There are lots of things like this that I didn't like, but none of them would be enough to say I would rather stay at another chain in this area, rather than the local Starwood.

No, the real problem is that this is a hotel in the Land of Smiles that has rejected the legendary Thai hospitality in favour of a European approach. Virtually all of the guests are from Europe (not one Thai guest while I was there), and the atmosphere is like an expensive European resort. No-one is trying to make you happy. The staff are not smiling (not the European managers, nor the Thais that work for them). You paid for a resort with a private beach and many activities, and that's what you're getting. Making you feel comfortable and at home - not part of the deal.

After eight days here, I left for other parts of Thailand. When I came back a week later for six more days in the area, I stayed at a hotel from another chain. I've never done that before. When there is a Starwood nearby, I always choose it. Not this time. And, for half the cost, I got a better room, in a decent hotel, where every interaction with the staff included a genuine smile. I'll give up the private beach for that.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jshepherd
Almario, Director of Online & Marketing Communications at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear "jsheperd"

Thank you for your review. I regret to learn that you were unhappy with your stay at Le Meridien Phuket. I understand that your displeasure stemmed from the resort's inability to provide you with a further room upgrade beyond the Junior Suite, our standard suites for SPG upgrades. Junior Suites are almost 60 sqm in size including a 12 sqm baclony. I was informed that our front desk associates suggested a different room but this offer was declined. As your preference to remain in the Junior suite was noted, we had thought that we had already addressed this concern. I am sorry if this was not the case.

As other guests who posted reviews on TripAdvisor mentioned, the resort is actually just 5 minutes away from both Patong and Karon. It is untrue that the resort "controls" tuktuks or private cars for hire especially given the lack of an institutionalized public transport system on Phuket. We do not operate the limousine company at the resort and other than ensuring that our guests are provided with good service or bringing up concerns on behalf of guests.

We continually address the need to continually enhance our rooms and facilities. In the past 2 years we have renovated over 70% of our rooms and suites and are finalising plans to renovate further. This year we are scheduled to replace a few guest lifts. During this period we are blocking rooms to conduct preventive mantainance and aesthetic touch ups.

We sincerely apologise for the service lapses you mentioned. Thank you for your patronage of Starwood Hotels and Resorts.

With kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
1.2 km away
33.5 km away
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
2.3 km away
Phuket Marriott Resort & Spa, Merlin Beach

Been to Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!