“Fantastic resort with gigantic pools and attractive beach”

Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Ranked #10 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 4 July 2010

My family and I stayed at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort for 6 nights in June 2010. It was my second stay at this resort and I was again greatly impressed by the hotel and its staff. This time I also brought my parents with us and they loved the hotel. We had booked airport transfer thru the hotel which was in a minibus van and was priced at 1700 Thb. This turned out to be a big disappointment as we were hoping to see a new hotel minibus and staff representative. Instead we had an old vehicle by Hertz. No refreshing towels nor water inside the bust and the vehicle was dirty inside. This was clearly a rip-off as regular fares for airport transfer were priced around 800-1000 Thb. Arriving at the resort everything looked much better. The hotel is is lovely surrounded by a huge tropical garden and has a secluded private beach (no vendors). There are many sports opportunities (beach, archery, tennis, squash etc). There is a small soi with an overpriced grocery shop, laundry service, and massage parlors in front of the hotel. The lobby is spacious, everything in the hotel itself is very clean, and the staff are extremely friendly. We were greeted in a warm manner by cool towels and welcome drinks upon check-in. We had booked two deluxe pool view rooms (newly renovated) which were fantastic. Our requests for the floor and location of rooms were kindly appreciated. The deluxe rooms were of a good size and everything was modern and spotless. When you stay here do book the new rooms. Previously I had stayed in 2008 in a superior garden view room and have to admit that the new rooms were quite an improvement. Probably one of the best rooms I have ever stayed at in Thailand having experience from several other five star properties. The rooms had lovely views over the pools. In the room we had a modern LCD-TV, a rain shower, and all the amenities you would ever need for a resort hotel. Stylish poly rattan furniture in room and on private balcony. Room service was fast and friendly. Daily turndown service. Unluckily internet was not free of charge (and pricing was very high) which was unsatisfactory for this adorable room and lovely resort. The food is of a good standard. During our stay we had several lunches and dinners at the resort as you don't really want to leave this hotel. The Mongolian beach BBQ was superb - with all-you-can-eat lunch buffet for 575 Thb ++ including a very nice salad bar, good fresh vegetables and meats (but also fish and shrimps) - and fruits and different sorts of ice cream as dessert. The staff were very friendly at these restaurants. We had one themed buffet at Pakarang (which was priced 1100 Thb ++ including a half bottle of wine per person). This "Asian delight" buffet offered a huge variety and an entertaining show. In addition to this we enjoyed dinners at the Italian and Thai restaurants. I liked them but my partner didn't like the quality of the Italian food. The Thai restaurant serves Royal Thai food but to me it didn't quite make it if you compare what you get for the same amount of money for instance at Bangkok's Benjarong Thai restaurant. Overall the food at the resort was very good and I strongly recommend you eat at the buffets (best quality and value - and the wine promotion is good). In my opinion only the lunch at the sunset bar was average (standard salad and pizzas). As we had booked for the low season the resort was not full. Most guests were from Russia and India and there was no disturbance at all by noise or lousy behavior. There were many free sun loungers at all times. Pool/beach towels were large and you can get new ones as often as you like. The beach is lovely with fine white sand and huge waves during the monsoon season. There is a private massage opportunity on the beach (for 300 Thb for 30min or 500 Thb for one hour). The pools were amazing. Huge, clean, and spacious. Probably the best hotel pools ever. The gym was small but very good standard - used it every day. Nice treadmills and good workout area with machines and free weights. Also a small sauna and steam bath. The hotel has a shopping arcade, on-site nurse for 24hrs, and a tailor which we used to make suits and shirts. The tailor was very friendly and provided fast service. One day the hotel invited us for a cocktail reception, probably because we were returning guests and had booked two rooms. This was very delightful and turned out to be an entertaining opportunity to meet hotel staff and to have a relaxed chat with them. To conclude my review, Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort offers pleasant luxury and great facilities to enjoy a fantastic beach holiday in Phuket - it is physically close but yet far enough from Patong's ear-piercing nightlife and lively street vendors. It's a great place and I will definitely return to this place. I have had six holidays in Thailand in the past years and this hotel is my favorite beach resort! My only criticism concerns hotel transfer (should be in a decent hotel minibus for this price - hope they work this out) and still definitely the hotel's policy in internet pricing (should be included in room fares as in most 5 star hotels - they still haven't managed to get free wifi in the last 2 years).

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank henri_s
Almario, Marketing Communications Manager at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2010

Hi "henri_s",

Thanks for your detailed review. We regret that the initial contact you had with the resort through Hertz was unsatisfactory. Their branch manager has been informed of your concerns and has committed to positive changes with this service. We will be monitoring this and will continue to seek improvements. We're happy that you and your family enjoyed our beach and facilities. I will pass on your praises to our staff. I'm sure your kind words will encourage them to keep up their good efforts. I loved reading how you appreciate our new rooms. We're keen on expanding our room enhancement project and your comments certainly is great encouragement. As for the internet rates, expect major positive changes soon! We're glad you had an overall positive stay and appreciate your return. We hope another trip for you and your family to the resort is forthcoming.

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (3,318)

Reviewed 3 July 2010

What a stunning private beach! It is so clean and well maintained.
I wish we had the opportunity to enjoy one of the newly refurbished room. Unfortunately, at check-in, we were given an "upgrade" to the ocean view room on the old wing. I don't consider this an upgrade at all. Room was dated, bathroom was definitely not a 5-star standard. Mouldy ceiling and grouts.
Room is spacious, but the tea and coffee making facilities is very basic.

June is low season in Phuket, and the hotel was quite empty. We found that there was not enough staff presence in the pool area during the day. We saw some guests having to carry and open umbrellas around the pool, and it took us a while to place our lunch/snack order by the pool as there was no staff around.

Breakfast was average, quantity and quality. Egg station was quite a let down, the egg omellete was not cooked at all on the inside. Pastries were great and the Le Meridien eye opener shots was a must try every morning!
We went out for most lunches and dinner, as food in the hotel is exorbitant!! Way too expensive. As a comparison, a fried rice or pad thai at the hotel would set you back around THB400++, if you walked out to Mr Yong's restaurant outside the hotel gate, it would only cost you around THB150.
For drinks, we went out to the beach hut bar, they also cost about 10% of what the hotel charges, and you can bring drinks from this bar into the pool area.

Le Spa was great, although it is not cheap. They offered a great 40% off for rainy season, which made it reasonable. The tea and the spa room was the highlight of the treatment.

Only managed to see the baby elephant for about 5 minutes. Didn't make appearance on all the other days we spent at the hotel.

We never had a turn-down service, which i always thought a standard for 5-star rating hotel. On top of it, on one of the days we stayed, our room was not serviced until I made a call around 5.30 in the evening! We didn't even have clean towel to use. I had to call room service twice, and asked to speak to the duty manager before someone finally came knocking on our door to give us clean towels and promised to service the room while we were out that night.

I would recommend taking the hotel shuttle to Patong, THB100 per person one way.
On the way back, a tuk-tuk or taxi from Patong should cost you between THB180-200.
Mr Yong's restaurant outside the gate is fantastic for lunch, with some genuine local Thai food. We met Mr Yong himself, and he's a nice guy. His son, Mr Rin has a taxi car. He offers quite a good rate too, cheaper than the hotel taxi.

Overall, it was a good stay because of the beach. I don't think we'll stay in this hotel again, the service we received didn't make us "miss" the hotel when we left.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beachhotellovers
Almario, Marketing Communications Manager at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2010

Dear “beachhotellovers”,
Thanks for your detailed review. We sincerely regret that your recent stay was not up to your expectations. We are surely not proud of the inconsistencies in our services which you brought up. We thank you for bringing these to our attention. I will have our management team collectively look into this. I know for a fact that roster assignments in the pool and beach areas are done diligently. Based on your comments, we are reminded that we need to improve on this. We are sorry that you had to request for a turndown service when this is supposed to be done each day. We sincerely apologize for this departure in our service standards. We’re glad that you liked our secluded beach and the spa treatment. We’re hoping you would consider returning to Le Méridien Phuket on your next trip to the island. I’ll make it a point to have you booked in one of our new rooms. We would definitely welcome the opportunity to regain your trust in our services.
Thanks again for your comments. We appreciate them very much.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

Hi...I stayted with my family in Meridien from 20 till 25 June 2010..rooms were great....amazing breakfast in hotel.....definitely will come again.....dont stay in hotel in Patong area as very congested......very nice personal beach....amazing swimming pool also....staff very helpful.....hotel taxi is expensive but good

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ritrakesh
Almario, Marketing Communications Manager at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2010

Hi "ritrakesh"

Thank you so much for your kind appraisal. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast buffet, huge pools and secluded beach. We do hope you'll return soon!

Thanks and kind regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2010

I stayed for 6 nights at Le Meridien in july 2009. My room was Deluxe Ocean View

Positives:
Check in was ok, we were welcomed with fresh juice and refreshing towels.
Private beach is great but we didn't use it much since we went on trips every day.
Staff is good and friendly.
Gym is not bad.
Swimming pool is one of the best I've ever seen.
Breakfast is good.
The lobby is very well designed. Some may complain as it is outdoor but I found that appealing being in tropical island.

Negatives:
Rooms are a little old but come on does that really matter? I've stayed in other hotels with new rooms which felt a lot cheaper than this one.
If you book a trip from the hotel you'll be charged three times as much as if you book it from Patong beach.
The hotel is really isolated and if you plan to go out don't think of coming back again unless you want to go to bed.
Felt a little dead, may be because it was in low season.
I ordered dinner from the room service. It was not good at all, not bad but not good.

I'm going back to phuket two weeks from now. I don't know if I'm gonna stay here again because I feel like I wanna try another hotel that if you go out of the hotel door you can do something.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ANO83

Dear "ANO83"

Thank you for your review. While we appreciate the favourable comments, we regret that we were unable to completely satisfy your expectations during your recent stay. I must admit that the one of the strengths of the resort is the great variety of outdoor sports and recreational facilities available. However, a lot of these have not been all available the past few days due to rain. We hope the weather would turn out better on your next trip to Phuket. Moreso, we hope you'll reconsider staying with us again. The resort isn't that far from Patong, only five minutes away. Hertz offers resort guests shared transfers at THB 100 per way and THB 180 round-trip several times a day. Quite convenient considering you'll also get to enjoy a secluded beach which the resort offers. Thanks again!

Regards

Reviewed 25 June 2010

This resort is the most amazing resort I have ever stayed in. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Some of the front staff desk remembered our faces and names and greeted us personally whenever we would walk past reception. They made us feel like we were very important.

The private beach is also a bonus. Very quiet and no one hassling you. The rooms here are a bit outdated however they are renovating and have a few newly renovated rooms which they also offered us, however we preferred the ocean view. We were given a tour of the new rooms and they do look really good!

The food is pretty nice as well. We had the green chicken curry at the thai restaurant and it really is the best curry i have ever had.

I also took advantage of the 50%off vouchers for the spa. I received several massages and even one outside under the trees facing the beach. It was truly amazing. If you get the chance you need to do this!

The hotel also has their own taxi service which is quite convenient as you cannot walk to the main area of Patong from here. It was decently priced. There are some little shops just outside of this hotel. DO NOT GO THERE. We got hugely ripped off. We bought a couple of snacks, insect repellent, sunscreen and some water and couple of bottles of beer and this cost us about $100AUD!! We had no idea until we left and thought.. wow that was really expensive. If you need to buy these things, I suggest going to a 7 eleven or a supermarket.

I cannot recommend this hotel more. It was really one of the best experiences I have ever had!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank mzval
Almario, Marketing Communications Manager at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2010

Dear “mzval”

Thank for your this detailed review and for your kind comments. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your recent stay. Thank you for your kind appraisal of our services particularly our Thai restaurant. Our chefs were especially pleased to hear about your comments on the food and our yummy green curry. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you to our resort soon. We'll have a hot bowl of your favourite dish waiting for you at Wang Warin when you do!

Reviewed 25 June 2010

We spent 5 nights in this hotel and apart from the evironment and furiture there is nthing to complain about. I am not sure if I would rate it with 5 stars given the fact it is a bit used up.
We booked a standard room and got upgraded into a junior suite.
House keeping service in the room was excellent. I had the feeling every time we left the room for more than one hour, they had something to clean or replace in the room.
Very large and nice pool area, which we rarely used because the private beach was so good.
All food we tried was very good and prices were appropriate accoring to the standard of the hotel.
I would book it again in low season.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jweiss1

Dear "jweiss1"

Thank you for choosing to stay at Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort. Your comments are well received. Being a resort that has been in operations for more than 20 years, we recognize the need to constantly upgrade our rooms and facilities. We have actually completed refurbishment of our Deluxe Garden and Pool View Rooms and are looking to expand this effort to other areas. Thank you for rating us favourably despite the concerns you raised. We hope you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 23 June 2010

this hotel feels very out-dated. it's quite impressive as you're pulling up to the entrance, but after a look around, you realized the decor and environment is straight out of the 1980s. the pool is huge and the beach is nice enough, but--our key frustration--there really isn't much to do. and because the resort is physically isolated from the rest of phuket, it's not like it's convenient to leave. there are a few shops but they mostly over-priced tourist traps.

i'd think twice about staying here, just because i think you'd get bored quickly.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Hi "booist"

Greetings from Le Meridien Phuket. Thank you for your comments. Please accept our sincere regret if your recent stay wasn't up to your expectations. We are aware of the need to constantly upgrade our rooms and facilities and have actually completed refurbishments of our Deluxe Garden and Pool View Rooms last December. In the coming months we will also conduct touch-up works and refurbishments in other areas including the mini-golf and the Pakarang Restaurant. We do offer a complete range of sports and recreations activities like tennis and squash courts, golf driving range, rock-climbing wall and a host of daily programmes for guests. Our associates are trained to inform guests of these services and facilities. We apologise if this was not done so during your stay. Your comments tell us that we need to do a better job of communicating this. We hope that you'll consider returning to the resort on your next trip to Phuket as we would appreciate the chance to regain your confidence.

Best regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
1.2 km away
6.8 km away
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
Katathani Phuket Beach Resort
#1 of 2 in Kata Noi Beach

Been to Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort? Share your experiences!