“Hotel is tired. Staff ineffectual.”

Karona Resort & Spa
Ranked #84 of 137 Hotels in Karon
Reviewed 5 November 2011

So granted i went at the very end of the low season (october) so i am hoping that my poor experience is down to the hotel "subbing" all their good staff for their b grade staff.

However i tried on numerous occasions to work with the staff to get issues resolved but the staff were completely nonchalant, obstructive and ineffectual.

I have stayed at this hotel for many years now and i used to be a big fan, but unfortunately after last weeks experience i will not be back. - room cleanliness is ok, but if you start looking closely you will be a little disgusted.
The rooms are starting to feel dated too and the tv’s now barely work…(ok ok why would anyone want to watch tv whilst in paradise, but it did rain for 6 days straight.) - you have to pay 50 tbh per day to use the in room safe….weird but not surprised. This is the only place in the world during all my travels that i have to pay for the privilege of keeping my stuff safe. - the breakfast was poor at best, and the staff were not at all helpful. friendly enough, just ineffectual.
I must admit it must be hard to cook a buffet for so few people, but the food was bad and choice was very limited. perhaps cooking fresh would be better?

Lastly at 4am on my last night/morning all the electricity went in my room, so no fan, no aircon, no lights. when i rang to see if it could be fixed it was a huge hassle and when i complained they procrastinated beyond belief. i suggested they give me the adjoining room after 30 mins of mucking about, but they said the hotel was full (which i know for a fact was a lie as there was only about 6 other people in the entire hotel) then finally after an hour of trying to fix the issue, they finally decided that the adjoining room was free and that i could move in. no apologies, no good.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank blakeHK

Reviewed 31 October 2011

2 minutes walking from the beach and Kata restaurants and boutiques...a very nice place! Stayed in a superior room with a balcony overlooking the 2 tier pool. Very spacious and clean room, hotel is very well kept, the ambiance is a bit zen...were welcome with hot towels and a juice...nice attention! Really enjoyed the 4 nights we spent at the Karona! The staff is nice but could not provide a whole lot informations on touristic matters....

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Pros
Nice pool, full sun all day and plenty loungers.
Beautiful well maintained gardens'
Great location, minutes from the beach and shops/restaurants up the hill towards Kata
Large comfortable rooms, good air con and plenty hot water.
Friendly and efficient staff

Cons
Lots of steps up to rooms; don't stay here if you need an elevator
Balconies just larger than 2 plastic pool chairs.
Small charge for in-room safe deposit box. Should be free.
Restaurant seemed pretty dead in the evening. Much more choice and life on the main road.
Breakfast reasonable choice but juices tasted of chemicals. From cartons would be a bit more expensive but so much more natural and tasty.

In conclusion, a nice place to stay and good value for money. And beach loungers cost only 100baht each per day so when the poolside gets too hot, head for the sea and a cold beer for 60 baht. Two Chefs restaurant highly recommended. Turn left up the hill and walk 0.5km.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank Scotsmaninmalaysia
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I visited Karona resort with my female friend and we liked it a lot ! Great ocean view from room 509 and rooms very tidy and nice. Beds were comfortable and wide. At breakfast you had a lot to choose from and we ate also 3 times at the hotel in the evening, always great food ! Hotel offered live music every night and friday was boxing/fireshow- night. Hotel has its own tailor and massage and we used them both. Prices were of course little higher than on the street-side, but the tailor we liked especially ! Only downsides for Karona were quite small and shallow pool and many steps around the hotel-area. Location was nice and quiet.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Calla76
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We had a great holiday at Karona hotel. The stuff were very nice and helpful. Every morning we had a lovely breakfast with a lot of selections. The pool was ok and every day they had a happy our at 4pm in the pool bar. When my daughter get ill, and we had a doctor coming to our hotelroom, we got from the management stuff, flowers to my daughter... Nice!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank MariaM13
Reviewed 12 January 2010

After all my research on the accommodation in Phuket, finally I have decided to stay here and I enjoyed it very much. Stayed with my friend in this resort. Love the friendliness of the staff and location of this resort. Beautiful room. Just 5 mins walking distance to the Karon Beach which I found it very peaceful, not as busy as Patong beach. 5 min walking distance to the convenient, souvenir stores and Very suitable for honeymooners. Wish I could stay longer...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank justbabyc
Reviewed 22 May 2009

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home, with a cold welcome drink while checking in and a free upgrade on our room. I'd booked via a 3rd party website, so I was suprised and delighted with the upgrade, and even more so that the bill was less than I had been quoted online.

The room, a sea view honeymoon room was very nice, with good air con, a great view and everything we needed.

The location is ideal for Karon. You are just a 2 min walk from Karon beach, a 5 min walk to Kata centre, and maybe 15 min walk to Kata beach.

I would absolutely stay here again, and the best thing for me was definately the location.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SammyLux
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karon
0.3 km away
0.3 km away
Diamond Cottage Resort & Spa
Diamond Cottage Resort & Spa
#4 of 11 in Karon Beach

Been to Karona Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!