New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Centara Karon Resort Phuket

Centara Karon Resort Phuket
Ranked #17 of 130 Hotels in Karon
Gatwick
“A stay of two halves... 3* really but expected it.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

My Wife and I arrived here near the end of March and stayed for 12 nights after staying at the (far superior and equally 4*) Rembrandt Hotel in Bangkok. When we were shown to our ocean view room on the 8 th floor (top floor) we were happy as it was worth the money we had paid I did not expect 5* decor/facilities i.e LCD TV's etc... The air con cool and quiet, the view pretty good but slightly blocked by a third of the hotel and very clean. However, the shower would not get hot and on the 2nd night we were moved as they could not fix it to another room on the 8th floor which was right in the top corner so on one side had views of the 'Big Budda' in the hills and on the other great views of the ocean and sunset. We were told on numerous ocasions by other travellers that the Lagoon rooms (supposedly higher standard) were not nice at all, noisy by the pool and infested by the dreaded mosquitos!

In the first seven days breakfast was OK, not a great choice but reguarly replenished and staff happy. For the last five days though the hotel could not cope with the volume of holiday makers... We had to queue 8 deep to get a seat at various times and the food constantly ran out with the staff seeming to not know how to keep up with demand - Not the first thing you want to experience in the morning! The whole hotel seemed to be over run for those last five days with sun beds also being at a premium.

Room service was cheap and we ate a couple of snacks in the afternoon, but we did not drink by the pool as the drinks were the usual hotel prices. We did not eat in the evenings at the hotel as there did not seem to be much going on and there were far cheaper and livelier options just outside of the complex.

Outside the hotel there are some good eateries, such as 'Bamboo' which serves stylish Thai food and other Western dishes, Two Chefs which has great live music every night and the surprisingly good 'Papaya' restaurant which is pretty basic but serves superb authentic food and equally superb service. I adore Thai food and only had one western dish over two weeks and can definately recommend this restaurant as it is so good and even better close!

I was aware before I went that I maybe hassled at the girlie bars, even though my wife was there but it wasn't that bad at all and far better than anticipated. What I didn't expect was the suit seller salesman outside each tailors... Every day does get boring with the same questions, Where you from mate? Can I shake your hand? Etc Etc. Just ignore them and walk on by.

Karon is OK, nice beach, seedy in places and can smell a bit, but I having looked at Trip Advisor before we visited it was as expected. We will probably not come back here as we have done it now but may visit Rawai Beech as it was much nicer when we visited on one of the days.

Room Tip: Sea View room 1801 on the top floor is nice as you get two windows, thus two views!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Sawasdee JayNewGatwick,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I am pleased there were many aspects you enjoyed about your stay and your comments about the fantastic views from our Terrace tower and also our room service being ‘cheap’ and good quality were appreciated. I am sorry there were consistency issues with breakfast. Our occupancy year to date is 96%, so our business levels are very even each day. Breakfast around 9am is usually our busiest time. Im pleased you plan to return and I wish you safe travels!
Regards
Darren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (962)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

When showed to our rooms we had 2 double rooms and 1 twin room. BUT we had booked and paid for 2 twin rooms and 1 double room.

This ment that my son of 8 would have to share a bed with my brother-in-law.

We went back to the reception and explained to them but was told this is what I had booked but on this a pulled out a copy of our booking, which showed clearly what I had booked. We had been travelling for nearly 22 hours with all our stops etc and very tired. I asked if they could put a TEMPORARY bed in that room just for the night and sort out a real bed to be put in the room the next day, which they agreed to. By the end of the holiday they still had not done this even though we had mentioned this to them again.
There was no shower curtain for the 1st week in the girls bathroom and only had got one after having to ask again.
All three bedrooms was not cleaned or beds made before 2.00pm even though we would put the signs up on the door asking for the rooms to be made up.
Service in the restaurant for breakfast was very poor
We had to wait over 12mins many times to be seated for breakfast
Having to wait to be served tea and coffee
Having to clear our own tables
Trying to put 6 of us on a small table for 4 people
Certain nationalities seemed able to just walk into the restaurant at breakfast.
We found most of the staff very rude and they showed mutness but could understand my husband !!
This hotel was a very big disappointment to us.
We would go back to Phuket BUT not this Hotel!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank JJ2103
Sawasdee JJ2103,
Thanks for writing a review from your stay in November 2011.
I believe the issues you experienced have been rectified. For example for coffee service we have implemented a self serve coffee station to assist with more tea and coffee options and ease of replenishment. We are operating two restaurants at breakfast to assist with the volume of guests. The missing shower curtain has been replaced and several key personnel have changed in this period.
With this in mind, I look forward to welcoming you back for a second try!
Regards
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Arrived March to celebrate my 50th birthday having spent 3 fantastic days in Singapore. Travelling with family so booked 3 superior rooms. On arrival met at reception - cold drinks really appreciated. Offered ' upgrade' to cabanas - two bedrooms for 3 couples!!!! Declined obviously - the area looked like it needed a good clean up and the whirlpool looked green and slimy. Went to our rooms in the main block. This was probably the most disappointing - corridors had a multi storey carpark feel and rooms were really basic. Always wonder if cups / glasses in bedrooms are taken away for cleaning or just 'swilled' under the bathroom taps!!!!! Pool area,gardens and communal areas are well maintained. More parasols would be nice for pool areas and happy hour means same measures shared between two glasses , topped up with ice - just sit back and watch !!! Centara Karon is right in the centre of Karon - beach is nice but needs cleaning up. The main street has open drains running down the sides and it is difficult to get rid of the smell from your nose, which can spoil the experience of the great thai food which is available at many of the local eateries. Go to the roundabout and turn left for some nice places to eat. Sorry this is so negative - I would have so much preferred it to be a really positive review as I had high hopes for this holiday :-( Will research better in future :-)

Room Tip: Don't bother unless you want to be right in the middle of the resort in a budget hotel
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank joolsc2010
Management77, Resident Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Belated Happy Birthday joolsc2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor after your stay at Centara Karon Resort, Phuket and hope you had a pleasant trip back home to Wolverhampton.

I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations and please accept our sincere apologies. You have raised some valid points in your first review here on TripAdvisor and I have shared these comments with our staff. Together with our section trainers we will ensure additional training is done to avoid the issues you mention in your review.

As I mention in earlier replies here on TripAdvisor, a lot of our regular and first time guest to the resort are happy with the Superior rooms, but when it comes to design it is always difficult to please everyone. The description on our homepage including pictures here on this site gives a good indication of our different room categories and layout.
In the summer of 2011 we renovated close to 100 rooms at our Tropical wing for our Premium Deluxe Rooms and I will be most happy to show you these rooms, should we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Phuket in the near future.

Again, thank you for your first review on TripAdvisor and hope more will come.

If the team or I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on ckr@chr.co.th

Best Regards,
Michael Gaarde-Nielsen
Resident Manager
Manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

The hotel is actually situated in the centre of Karon and in a rather noisy and dirty area. We stayed here for 11 nights in March and on arrival we were told that out room wasn't ready and that we would be upgraded at no extra cost for one night, to a private cabanas. Not very happy as this meant that we couldn't unpack after travelling half way around the world. To make matters worse, the cabanas are situated in the grounds and come complete with mosquitoes. To compound the problem the air-con didn't work at all in the main lounge area!
The following day we were moved into the Terraces. Our room was on the 8th floor with only a partial sea-view. The room itself was rather small and not a lot of storage space for clothes. It did however have a free in-room safe and the usual complimentary 2 bottles of water free every day. The room was quite basic and definitely not a superior room as advertised,and was definitely NOT 4 star. The hotel may be graded 4 star because it has three pools, a wellness centre, a fitness centre and two restaurants, but I would be kind giving it a three star rating.
Prices in the hotel are quite expensive so I would recommend you go out to eat and drink.We even took advantage of their "free money " offer but it didn't go far.
The breakfast is fine with a good selection of hot and cold food but it does get a bit repetitive.The three pools are OK but the middle one, The Lagoon, is mainly for the kids as it has a couple of water slides. The other two tend to be a bit quieter and all three have a swim up bar!
f you go out of the hotel you can eat as cheaply as you like and a can of beer can cost as little as 50 baht. However these places tend to be a bit rough and ready, not necessarily a place to sit and relax over an evening meal.
It is about a 5 minute walk to the beach which is generally nice but it could do with a regular clean, as some people didn't seem to want to take their rubbish away with them. Also, there are no showers or toilets facilities on the beach, even in the little beach bars/shacks.On the beach you can buy almost anything from the beach traders but be prepared to haggle, as their opening prices are approx three times what you should be prepared to pay.
From the far south end of Karon beach, near Kata, there is actually some good snorkelling. Don't be misled by the tour reps saying that there is no snorkelling in Karon.
Also, you will get used to all of the suit sellers, tuk tuk drivers and good time girls as you walk by, but usually a polite "No thanks!" will suffice.
Shop around for the trips to the different islands etc. but you will get what you pay for. Generally trips are cheaper booked outside of the hotel and the not with tour reps.
Kata is a little bit further down the coast, but seems to have a few nicer restaurants and bars than Karon. Personally I wouldn't stay in Karon again as it is too sleazy for my taste.

Room Tip: If you stay in The Terraces ask for a higher floor with a seaview.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Willymuppet
Dear Willymuppet

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor about your stay at Centara Karon Resort, Phuket and Karon town itself. I trust you had a pleasant trip back home to Manchester and I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused upon arrival. I have addressed you comments on the arrival experience with our Front Office team and their section trainer to avoid similar issues in the future.

For the cash deal, my apologies of not being able to explain it in details here on TripAdvisor. As I have explained in earlier replies the basic setup is the more you sign up for upon arrival the more credit will be given back to you towards restaurants and spa. When comparing to the restaurants and bars in Karon & Kata area the cash deal is well worth it.

The Superior Ocean View rooms are normally well liked by our guests. We are always open for suggestions since we know it can be difficult to meet everyone’s expectations when it comes to the design and amenities. Should you have any suggestion I would be happy to hear from you.

For the breakfast, we rotate part of our menu daily and I am sorry to hear that it was not what you expected. Should you have any suggestions for items that we can include, please do not hesitate to contact us on ckr@chr.co.th and we will ensure the comments are brought to the attention of our Executive Chef.

Again, thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Centara Hotels & Resorts

Best Regards,
Michael Gaarde-Nielsen
Resident Manager
Phuket, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Recently stayed with the family at Centara resort Karon, great stay. Kids pool was excellent, meals were good quality and value, also great position with easy access to the beach. Would happily return, great resort holiday at a reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SarSar_12
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear 5star at a 4star price!
Sawsdee from the land of smiles!
Thank you for providing such a kind review. I look forward to sharing with the team.
I hope we can welcome you back soon!
Safe Travels
Darren
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Ok let me start by saying that this is my first review. The purpose is not to bag out Centara but to just let people know of our experience so they can make there own decision. Ok so my partner and I stayed at the Centara Karon resort for 6 nights in March. We were disappointed from check in to departure. We arrived and were told that our ocean view room in the main terrace was not available due to the hotel double booking it. We were offered a suite overlooking the lagoon which they said was an upgrade to what we originally booked. Of course we weren't concerned taking there word it was better. We were shown to our replacement room and were straight away shocked as to the condition of it. The wooden floors were extremely dirty and I mean dirty. The room had two double beds and the sheets had big yellow stains on them. Looked like massive sweat patches. We immediately contacted house keeping and they came an mopped the floors and changed the sheets. They told us that it was a chemical problem. They left and it wasn't long after we realized that there were no bath towels our water bottles in our dirty bathroom. We contacted management and complained about the room and lack of care. We enquired about an upgrade
or a change but were told no other rooms were available. The management didnt seem to care to much. It was like or room was the stand by one that no body normally used. The next day we were changed back to our sea view room and it was a great improvement. Good views but no LCD tv, DVD player or free wifi. We hired a DVD player for the stay for 500thb aswell as wifi for 500thb. We complained again to management about the way we were shoved into a rundown room the first day but still no real sympathy. We were hoping to receive something to make up for the lack of care but nothing ever came. We ate the buffet breakfast a few times which was ok not great. I know the general manager will read this and no doubt offer his apologies for the lack of service but you can never get your time back. Looking on tripadvisor there are many positive reviews but on this occasion we were disappointed. Not a 4 star experience.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Tom_and_Jac
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Tom_and_Lou,
Thanks for taking the time to provide a review.
I am sorry for the issues you encountered and furthermore that our Managers were not able to resolve these issues to your complete satisfaction. I am sorry I did not have the opportunity personally assist whilst you were here. Our managers do care and we have already discussed your feedback and how we could have managed this situation better. Your feedback is important and I assure you we do take on board your constructive feedback and utilize it as a means to improvement. I have a good team of staff who work hard toward providing a quality guest experience however we have occasional inconsistencies we are working to improve upon. If I can assist with a future booking, do let me know.
Best Wishes
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

we stayed here for 2 nights only, it is tired and in need of updating. The staff were stand offish and appeared unhappy. The pool area was nice and clean but is let down by the hotel rooms. The walls are thin, we colud hear the couple next door rowing. Phuket lets other areas in Thailand down, the service is poor and the place smells of drains and is dirty. Never again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wendyandmick
Management77, General Manager at Centara Karon Resort Phuket, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear wendyandmick,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you didnt enjoy your stay. As mentioned to your travel companions (reviewer below), I am more than happy to discuss directly.
kind regards